Talismans

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Talismans

Unread post by The Beast »

What book can talismans be found in? Not the spell, the item.
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Talismans

Unread post by Axelmania »

Rifts World Book 2 Atlantis has the Blind Warrior Women's Armor of Ithan Talismans which worked differently than the RMB spell since they had a recurring daily recharges instead of thrice-and-done.

I think one of the dimension books had a UWW OCC who could do Talisman fun beyond the limits of the spell and possibly reproduce this kind of effect.
The Beast

Yeah, I'm just wanting a couple to recharge my PPE in the middle of a fight if I need to. I looked at the Stormspire PPE clips, but they only let you refill 10 points per action, which may likely be too slow in the middle of combat. Plus they seem to be only common in the Magic Zone and we're not near there.

I also looked at the Stone Master's gem powers since where we're at has a bunch of them, but you have to be one to use the gems for that purpose and the gems crumble after the third use.

I'm currently looking at the TW rules for making stuff, and I could afford a diamond PPE storage device. However the size isn't going to be what I'd like it to be. A talisman can be the size of a pin, which I could wear under my armor without it causing as much discomfort as a larger TW device would. I could also conceal it more easily if I needed to for some reason (strip search, ect).

Someone on FB pointed me to the rules on buying spells, and I'm like "Hey that'd be great if I could learn it, but then I wouldn't be asking what page actual talismans can be found on now would I?" Unfortunately my class can't learn that spell, and I also don't have the PPE or the money at this point to do so anyway. If they were suggesting that a mage that can make them would sell them for the same price as they would to learn the spell, then that doesn't make sense to me. It would be far more profitable for said mage to sell them for much cheaper than the spell to get other mages hooked on coming back to him for recharges.
The Beast

Just remembered Mystic China has varjias in it. Maybe they list a price.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Arzno, p61 has a vendor that sells Talismans.

Out of curiosity, what class is your mage?

EDIT: And if you're playing a high power game where your GM is willing to bend a rule, instead of getting a PPE Talisman get one with the Energy Sphere spell embedded. ;)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
The Beast

Mack wrote:Arzno, p61 has a vendor that sells Talismans.

Out of curiosity, what class is your mage?

EDIT: And if you're playing a high power game where your GM is willing to bend a rule, instead of getting a PPE Talisman get one with the Energy Sphere spell embedded. ;)

Thanks. Still doesn't say how much a PPE storage one would be but at least my GM could now come up with a starting point for their prices. It also looks like it may still end up being more expensive than I'd like.

Playing a ludicrous mage, but it's not a high powered game. It's just that in our main story we're tracking some sort of virus that can not only take over tech, but can also heal itself from energy blasts. The first time we ran into it we discovered we could see its "residual" aura. So the psychic and I drained our energies to track it down and were both useless during the following fight. I'd like to avoid a similar situation in the future and I figured this should have been the simplest way to do it.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mack wrote:Arzno, p61 has a vendor that sells Talismans.

It would be an interesting campaign if the vendor sold a Talisman of Invincible Armor but then found out the buyer was an evil shifter and cancelled the Talisman spell so that when the evil shifter tried to use it, it didn't work, and the shifter send demons to kill the vendor as revenge for the betrayal of contract.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Have you looked at the Rings of Elder from Book 1 of the Siege on Tolkien? Or slightly more available, Xanthine from the Palladium Fantasy Northern Hinterlands?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Diamonds cost 15,000 credits per carat and store 20 P.P.E. per carat. Here are a couple of Magic prices from a couple of books:
Arzno page 61

Bottled Miracles. This is the only pure magic shop in town. It sells various products from across North America and beyond, but does not deal in Techno-Wizardry or Bio-Wizardry. Instead it sells healing potions, holy water, a variety of Faerie Food, and some minor Native American fetishes. However, the most popular items are amulets, scrolls, and talismans made to­ order. The owner of the shop, a 13th level, young Demon­ Dragonmage (described in Rifts® World Book 12: Psyscape), and his three human Ley Line Walker apprentices (levels 2, 5, and 9) can provide pretty much any spell available, up to 9th level. Prices are high, but so is demand, so the Demon­ Dragonmage is doing extremely well for himself. Amulets cost an average of 30,000-50,000 credits each (100? credits per PPE), while scrolls cost an average of 10,000 credits for every level of the spell to be written on it (so a scroll to cast Armor of !than, a 3rd level spell, would cost 30,000 credits). Talismans cost triple the price of an equivalent scroll. The shop also sells magic spells up to level 7 at double the cost listed on page 190 of Rifts® Ultimate Edition. If a mage has a spell that the Demon-Dragonmage doesn't know (unlikely), trades of spell magic can usually be worked out.

Arzno page 90 says friendly mages might recharge a TW item for 30-50 credits per PPE. Seems reasonable a talisman could be created for the same fee. 30x500=15,000 credits and up

Rifts World Book 1 - Vampire Kingdoms page 64

The El Paso Magic Shop: See the Invisible amulet 150,000 credits (300 credits per PPE), Turn the Dead amulet 60,000 credits (150 credits per PPE), scrolls first thru third levels 1,000 credits per spell level plus 1,000 credits per level of strength, casting spells 2,000 credits per spell level plus as much as 100% difficulty fee

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”