Favorite Minion

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Favorite Minion

Unread post by Nightmartree »

What is your favorite minons? either as a GM on a npc or as a player i'd like to hear what peoples favorite minions are, along with what makes them the best
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Favorite Minion

Unread post by eliakon »

For GM?
I have several
I love Orcs because I can change things around in all sorts of ways and construct some rather interesting societies based on their instincts beyond "evil smelly barbarians, cleave their skulls quickly". That sort of thing tends to make my players enjoy the game.

I love Humans, because I can do literally anything with them, so no one ever knows what to expect.

And I love to make up races so as to keep my players on their toes.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmartree
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:For GM?

GM or player, I was mostly thinking of shifters and summoners when I made this post but i'm not excluding anything you manage as a player to coerce into minionhood. Psychic brainwashing, magic mind control, summoning, coercion, bribes, amazing speeches whatever means you use...I personally like minor demons and races you can manipulate or bully into being what you need (stereotypical goblin like beings), not cause they're easy to get (though that is a plus) but more because I find them...cute isn't the word but I can't think of anything else
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmartree wrote:
eliakon wrote:For GM?

GM or player, I was mostly thinking of shifters and summoners when I made this post but i'm not excluding anything you manage as a player to coerce into minionhood. Psychic brainwashing, magic mind control, summoning, coercion, bribes, amazing speeches whatever means you use...I personally like minor demons and races you can manipulate or bully into being what you need (stereotypical goblin like beings), not cause they're easy to get (though that is a plus) but more because I find them...cute isn't the word but I can't think of anything else

Ahhhh

For Both?
-One of the most popular is to find a supernatural being that has been enslaved and free it/buy it. Then in exchange make it your minion for a period of time. This works amazingly well with T-men for instance.
-Entities are good, most of them don't care about much beyond getting fed. Offer a steady diet of PPE and ISP and they will be loyal and they all have quite useful abilities.
-If you worship a god or such... find out what their minions are, and if you can borrow some. For example I had a Renegade Native American Shifter in a game. They had a deal with the spirits that they were allowed to summon various spirits on the condition that I was doing so for things that aided my fellow Natives. It worked out fairly well.
-Depending on how the GM runs it (are summoner and summoned automatically able to communicate?), lesser elementals are an option.
-Fairy Folk (the evil want their power, the good point out that it is an opportunity for fun and amusment and promise them sweets and drink)

And for the good guys:
I rarely play good minion summoners since it is almost always an inherently evil act (kidnapping and slavery). However when I do, I tend to try and make a deal in advance. If I can't then I stick with summoning from races that are either mindless/don't care, like to battle evil, or just battle; Holy Terrors, Valkarites, Asgardian Berserkers, Guardians, Anthanos, Undead Slayers, and the like. Since you start with a communications rift you can always ask ahead of time for permission to summon them. :D

And now my bad guys:
-First a special mention goes out on demons. They almost never summon the major hades style Demons and Deevils, nor even daemonix. Instead they research out obscure and rare forms of demons. Ones that don't have gods or god like Demon Lords. Those the summon. I mean why summon a Succubus and risk angering a Modeus when I can summon a Night-Wing who is just as seductive and pretty?
-They tend to delight in getting true names, of anything, to use. After all you never know when you will have a use for even the most obscure or seemingly useless creature.

Shadow Beasts are quite popular, true Ghosts, Broadkil (they are fairly easy to make happy... just keep providing implants.), those who know of them love Night Bane Dopplegangers, Undead are also quite popular. Shadelings (ruled lesser in most games I have been in)

That help? I can list more but that is my "go to" list for summoning something.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmartree
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:That help? I can list more but that is my "go to" list for summoning something.

Sounds great, i'm wondering if anyone has tried bribing a demon lord with soda?

I mean carbonation may not be new in the megaverse...but how often does a demon lord get some?

(and then you find out its being provided by a company run by the summoner who thought of it first Demon Exports and Imports company DEI, the D can also stand for Deity, Deevil, Dirtbag or Delicious depending on what dimension your in and who they are selling to)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Boschala because get 13 of them and you can eventually have an unlimited supply, ruining a planet.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

provided you're fairly flexible on your defintion of "summon", there's a warrior and a steed you can summon using standard invocation magic that are basically constructs of magical energy, which should be acceptable to just about everyone.

my personal favourite as a player are elementals, though only as a warlock (as a shifter, there are plenty of things that will not resent being summoned nearly as much, but elementals are pretty much always mad about being summoned unless it is by a warlock).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Depends highly on the character.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Mark Hall wrote:Depends highly on the character.

Do you have a favorite as a player?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”