What do you think of New Ludicrous spells in Rifter 22?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What do you think of New Ludicrous spells in Rifter 22?

Unread post by gaby »

What do you think of new Ludicrous spells in Rifter 22?

What do you think are the top ten Ludicrous spells?

Do you Hope someone will send more New Ludicrous spells to Rifter?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: What do you think of New Ludicrous spells in Rifter 22?

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Kinda late in the game to be reviewing material from a Rifter that old. I like Ludricrous Spells, and there have been some created in the Invented Spells thread, but it is doubtful there is anyone actively creating new spells for the Ludicrous Mage.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

For what its worth?
I like the general idea of Ludicrous magic. I think it had/has promise.
That said the direction it ends going is that the spells only work in a farce/slapstick game. They are funny...but they rely to much on gags that break the 4th wall and, since it originated in 9.5 there wasn't even the slightest attempt to make it balanced or interact with the rest of the game.

My take away...
I find that the individual spells on a case-by-case are useful, though they do tend to need being...pared down a bit. I remove the most absurd elements and I end up with what, to me, was the original point of the class... magic that was wrapped around jokes and clowning as a way to hide the magic and to serve as the focus...instead of making farce the force of magic itself.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Personally, I love them! My character in the gaming group that I run uses Ludicrous magic. :)

I agree with eliakon, though. Many of the spells tend to be one-off gags and not really useful in a lot of situations. For example, my character originally had Descriptive Combat, as I thought it was so cool, however I ended up swapping it for a different spell (I know, not technically legal...). The concept is great, however there really needs to be a use for it aside from just having the words appear. Really, you could tailor most plain illusion spells to do the same thing, and still have more scope in how you use them. The ones my character tends to use as his staples and favourites are Pies or Water Balloons (depending on his mood - no other weapons for this fella!), Look Cool Factor, Animate Balloon Monster, Bubble Gum Flight and Create Candy (I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to conjure out of thin air!). He's saved the day before with Toy Guns! After the last session, he gained Bounce and Magnetic Personality, so I'm really keen to have some fun with those!

I think, though, with some flexible GMing, the spells can be improved and made more versatile. For example, the group was trying to locate some shadow people and we'd found a crack into their world. You needed to be 2D to get to their dimension (very thin isn't enough - you must be 2D). One of the PCs could do that, but she was absent that session. Just mucking around, I metamorphosed one of the PCs into an animated form. Then another player said, "Wouldn't he be 2D then?" Technically the spell doesn't grant that, but it makes sense.

Just my thoughts anyway.

RD

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”