PF/HU Book of Magic

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you want it?

Want it & by the hard cover too
9%
want it, tied of converting from mdc
23%
want it, got to have them all
18%
want it, this will get people buying the better settings' books
9%
want it
14%
*shrugs* meh
23%
dislike the idea
5%
hate it
No votes

Total votes: 22

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

PF/HU Book of Magic

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A collection of all the SDC spells and converted MDC spells for use in the better settings.

This could cure A reason that inhibits people from buying the books from the better settings.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: PF/HU Book of Magic

Unread post by eliakon »

I am mixed on this idea. (Though I am not sure what "the better settings" are... there are not 'better settings' just settings that some people like more than other people)

The upside is that I like magic and thus I am normally in favor of anything that gets more magic in the game.
But the issue to me is that the various game lines spells are set up for those game lines. As such spells for one game are not always going to be appropriate for another game.
Also this is likely going to just exacerbate the already major issue of there being multiple versions of each spell...
...I mean if your collating all the spells, which versions of each spell do you use?

What I would like is more SDC conversions of spells when they are published. And if the spell is not going to be a direct 1:1 then the SDC version having its MDC stats would be nice as well.
This would make the various books a lot more handy for use across games.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Nightbane would be especially tricky, as many of the damaging spells were "boosted" for that setting compared to other S.D.C. settings.

I feel like a book like this would be a waste. Paladium won't "unify" its rule set, so having a unified S.D.C. magic book is both pointless and impossible. Let's just get Beyond Arcanum already.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I would be in favour of each setting having a 'magic book' on a level similar to the Book of Magic for Rifts.
But I think it best there be one for each setting. Magic Unlimited for HU2, TTGD Revised Edition (to include all spells as a book of magic in addition to the other material) for Nightbane. A PF Book of Magic.
That would be the best solution under the current make-up where even in SDC settings the spells can have different stats, and you can get the book that is best for your interests.

Having said that, SDC settings are not the 'Better' settings, they are simply different than Rifts, and people have their preferences.
I dont see why that sort of baiting had to be included.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

13eowulf wrote:I would be in favour of each setting having a 'magic book' on a level similar to the Book of Magic for Rifts.
But I think it best there be one for each setting. Magic Unlimited for HU2, TTGD Revised Edition (to include all spells as a book of magic in addition to the other material) for Nightbane. A PF Book of Magic.
That would be the best solution under the current make-up where even in SDC settings the spells can have different stats, and you can get the book that is best for your interests.

Having said that, SDC settings are not the 'Better' settings, they are simply different than Rifts, and people have their preferences.
I dont see why that sort of baiting had to be included.
Agreed. Heroes Unlimited needs their own book. Palladium Fantasy is already getting its own books with the Mysteries of Magic series.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Agreed. Heroes Unlimited needs their own book. Palladium Fantasy is already getting its own books with the Mysteries of Magic series.

I thought the Mysteries of Magic series died after the first installment?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Whiskeyjack wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Agreed. Heroes Unlimited needs their own book. Palladium Fantasy is already getting its own books with the Mysteries of Magic series.

I thought the Mysteries of Magic series died after the first installment?

Yes and no?
The MoM series is in limbo... but its "not dead yet" and feels perfectly fine and wants to go for a walk now...
aka it has not been formally killed and considering how long there have been between other books it is perfectly possible that a new MoM book could show up at any time.
officially
Unoffically I suspect that it is dead, though even if it did get killed, it still puts Nightbane, PF, and Rifts into the "have had a book for just magic printed" (even though Rifts was just reprints rifts has a LOT more magic in the first place and so isn't really hurting for 'more magic')
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

eliakon wrote:The MoM series is in limbo... but its "not dead yet" and feels perfectly fine and wants to go for a walk now...
aka it has not been formally killed and considering how long there have been between other books it is perfectly possible that a new MoM book could show up at any time.
Like all Palladium books, it comes down to whichever ones Kevin feels like working on at the moment.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”