what is the best occ for a detective caster?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

90nineups
Newb

what is the best occ for a detective caster?

Unread post by 90nineups »

Hello, I have a player that wants to play a detective magic user. He would focus on sensing spells and detective skills. He wants to play this due to disappointment in D&D, where there are no real detective spells. If a wizard teleports away, he can't be tracked. What I am looking for is a good occ for tracking magic users and investigation of magic use. I see the Wizard OCC has "recognize magic" but what is the best spell caster class for a magic investigator? Additionally what are the best spells?

Thanks!
99ups
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: what is the best occ for a detective caster?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Though they have some obvious limitations, a Mystic can do REALLY well in this area, since they also include psionic powers. Their spellcasting is a bit more limited, but Clairvoyance, Object Read, and Commune with Spirits can add some real punch to a detective.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A seeker OCC from the manhunter book.

Part of it is spell selection. There are some follow t-port/d-t-port spells in the rifter with the shifter variants. (single digit)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Have to echo Mark's recommendation: a Mystic is the first thing I thought of, for much the same reasons.

Much, much farther outside the box is the Magebane who can't cast spells but is immune to magic, and makes a career out of hunting mages.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Temporal Wizard can see what happened in the past. Super handy.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I am going to suggest the Arcane Detective from Nightbane Between the Shadows...
It has magic, perception bonus, streetwise, surveillance systems, intelligence, and a lore all part built in.
Take the right spells, and maybe a magic proficiency and your set.
And if your in Rifts you might even be a minor/major psychic to boot (or ask your GM about the table in Lone Star) where as in Nightbane you can look at the natural talent table.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Have a look at the Vanguard Savant from Adventure Sourcebook 4/pg 26. They are investigators by their nature.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

You know, every time I tried to consider a "detective" caster, I just couldn't help but imagine some weird blend between Dick Tracy, The Shadow and Dr. Strange...

... ANYWAY...

I'll agree with what everyone has posted above, I'll even throw in a third motion for the mystic.

There's also the Techno-Wizard - Not the greatest spell casting capabilities but they've got their own brand of investigative awesome to them. Plus, who tries to wipe computers anymore? Telemechanics can be your friend.

The Shifter - Don't have the skill or spell necessary to do what detecting needs to be done? Summon a minion that does and have them do it for you. Just... make sure they don't brutalize or eat anyone...

Temporal Warrior - Sure, chances are better than not you got trained by something inherently evil and yeah, it might've driven you crazy... but hey, with those bomb-diggity Temporal spells and the right selection of skills investigations can be a synch!

Necromancer - I know, I know. These guys get a seriously bad rap for their chosen art (playing with dead things...) but there's a lot that goes in to investigations and being a detective! Like... a lot... and it all ain't rainbows and sunshine, either! Usually, especially in the more noir genre type detective novels, someone's dead, or died... and the lucky detective has to be brought in to figure it all out. Guess what? This is the Necromancers domain. Dead stuff. Have fun doing what you love to do and getting paid for it! What's even better, is at the end of the novel... you get the girl/guy! Here's lookin at you, Kid.
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think the Shifter or Ley Line Rifter have abilities to track or interfere with recent teleports, so those classes would be the most beneficial to specifically what the OP was looking for.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”