Magic tattoo limb replacments

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

your perfered mechanics...

prem PPE burn off
40%
temp PPE sequester
No votes
prem HP burn off
20%
temp HP sequester
No votes
other (explain)
40%

Total votes: 5

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Magic tattoo limb replacments

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Above in the Rifts forum this OP was posted.
say652 wrote:Can an Atlantean choose a Cyborg occ?

Which twisted about in my mind after mentally answering the basic question and seeing those that posted agree with me, and thinking of the Monster Shaping tattoos and the ATB2 psionic replacement limb powers. This ended up with the thought about Magic tattoos that create a permanent replacement limb for a T-man, TA UDS, or other TA that has lost a limb.

I can see a few ways this can be done. 1) a permanent sacrifice of PPE, 2) a semi-perm. sequestering of Perm PPE, and 3&4) same as above but with HP instead of PPE.

How would you structure the mechanics of a always on tattoo for limb replacement?

By the way we all know that this is not inside canon so leave off the non-canon bad mouthing.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Magic tattoo limb replacments

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Honestly I'd probably base it on the Monster shaping tattoos and just use regular PPE expenditure rules, but I would increase the duration (by a factor x5 for ease of use) since we are talking about a single limb (if more than one limb I would reduce the duration if all of this is being done by a single tattoo) and not a whole body covering and cost would be determined by if the tattoo user is still a SDC being or MDC being (based on their MDC value) to determine the PPE cost.

EDITED for clarity.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Is this a tattoo that would, when triggered grow a whole new limb? (in which case I would say 1d6 PPE and 1 PE)
or does this when activate create a replacement limb (In which case I would not charge anything)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:Is this a tattoo that would, when triggered grow a whole new limb? (in which case I would say 1d6 PPE and 1 PE)
or does this when activate create a replacement limb (In which case I would not charge anything)

My idea would be like the psionic replacement limbs in ATB2. but is ether perm. or semi-perm.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
eliakon wrote:Is this a tattoo that would, when triggered grow a whole new limb? (in which case I would say 1d6 PPE and 1 PE)

My idea would be like the psionic replacement limbs in ATB2. but is ether perm. or semi-perm.

A permenant ATB2 limb? That is way potent...
I would charge a pretty hefty charge of both PPE (my feeling is 20-30), plus 20-30 DC, and 1 PE.
Those are extraordinarily powerful limbs and the ability to have one as your new arm is something that, mechanically, should be pricy.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

So what you are saying Eli is that you would have it cost perm PPE and perm HP and perm PE? is your assumptions that the replaced limb would have SNPS at this cost?

Note I had not defined what sort of PS or xDC the limb would have. Since I have thought of to bring this up I would put that the basic tattoo type for this would only be normal PS. Maybe equal to the char's PS? up to what normal PS score?

How would having a greater PS type effect the cost?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I don't see why they would start out with SN PS given they don't have it naturally and they are replicating a missing limb, so even if they are MDC being (due to # of tattoos), they would still have the normal PS type for that race. PS type for shapeshifting and monster/animal tattoo (known) examples it does not look to be a consideration for cost, but the attributes are supposed to match the type they are going for (or use their own if higher for shapeshifting) and we know there are examples of MDC w/o SN PS which means it doesn't cost extra (only the Hitpoint/MDC).

So regardless of if the limb is MDC or SDC (level), the PS would still be regular for the race.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:So what you are saying Eli is that you would have it cost perm PPE and perm HP and perm PE? is your assumptions that the replaced limb would have SNPS at this cost?

Note I had not defined what sort of PS or xDC the limb would have. Since I have thought of to bring this up I would put that the basic tattoo type for this would only be normal PS. Maybe equal to the char's PS? up to what normal PS score?

How would having a greater PS type effect the cost?

The ectoplasmic limbs have several advanced powers as I recall (long reach, can reach through solid objects, that sort of thing) if the limb has those abilities then it would need to have similar costs.

If it is just "I have a limb made of solid ectoplasm that I can summon/de-summon that has the normal stats of my body then I would charge 1PE and 1d6 PPE (based on the Resurrection tattoo)
But if the limb starts getting special powers... then you pay a price in PPE and DC for those powers.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Why base the cost on the Phoenix Tattoo? It does not have anything to do with making ectoplamic constructs.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Why base the cost on the Phoenix Tattoo? It does not have anything to do with making ectoplamic constructs.

Because the Pheonix Tattoo in resurrection mode can regenerate/replace lost limb/organs(s) per the description, but it comes at a much higher cost for the T-man than the super heal mode as they sacrifice HP, PPE, and PE (but gain MA) points.

While it isn't an ectoplasm construct (AFAIK), it is a form of limb replacement that is permanent (which is what you are going for) so should be considered.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Why base the cost on the Phoenix Tattoo? It does not have anything to do with making ectoplamic constructs.

I went with it for a few reasons
The first is that it fits the theme of what is going on here best (the Phoenix can heal lost limbs...this does so in its own way.)
The phoenix is also the only other tattoo that has a permeant effect

And since this would be another 'unique' tattoo utterly unlike any other tattoo (basically a 'tattoo magic tattoo' in name only) I thought it should be priced similarly to the other outlier tattoo. I say this because every other tattoo is "activate tattoo for X time and Y effect occurs"... but this seems to be" put X tattoo is put on person and Y occurs for ever and ever amen."

The other reason for the PE point is, frankly to make this EXPENSIVE.
As I said, the Ectoplasmic Limb power is VERY potent with several very, very powerful abilities. Tattoo Men have no shortage of PPE or MDC and thus charging them a small amount of those is not going to be a hindrance... but a PE point will. It wont stop the optimizer of course but it is harder to get PE than PPE (at least for a T-man) and frankly that is what I was thinking of.

These two concerns synch up to my cost.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Change of question.

While keeping with the tattoo as a prosthetic, but it having a duration. (ie; a normal magic tattoo) What existing tattoo type would you base it off of?
(As to the form of the tattoo it would be a picture of the char whole w/o any missing limbs.)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

eliakon wrote:The other reason for the PE point is, frankly to make this EXPENSIVE.

But compared to the Pheonix tattoo, you come off a bit cheaper. A Pheonix tattoo user looses PE, PPE, and HP all of which aren't easy to replace (especially as 2 of them are level ups so could be quite a while before one recovers).

drewkitty wrote:Change of question.

While keeping with the tattoo as a prosthetic, but it having a duration. (ie; a normal magic tattoo) What existing tattoo type would you base it off of?
(As to the form of the tattoo it would be a picture of the char whole w/o any missing limbs.)

Well as I said in my initial post: Monster Shaping Tattoos.

There are a few other options that come to mind after a bit of additional thought and review:
-Animal/Monster Summoning Tattoos to replicate Bio-Wizard/Necromatic limbs (I'd require Animal if still an SDC being, Monster if in crossed into MDC being territory), in this case we are talking about specific creatures for the role (sort of like Necrol from Phaseworld)
-Simple Weapon. These wouldn't necessarily create full on limbs, more like simple prothestics (peg leg, hook hand, etc).
-Heart with Large Wings (can already essentially take the place of lost legs allowing mobility)
-Heart with Tiny Wings (if we treat it as creating magical exo-skeleton to increase running speed, that would allow mobility for lost leg replacement)
-Knight in Full Body Armor (here are 2 suggestions: 1. as is like the Heart w/Wings the armor generated can function as an exoskeleton in an AS-IS format, 2. a variant that provides partial coverage to missing limbs that act as organic ones)

And most of the above do not require the creation of new tattoos, just new application of existing tattoo. I'm a bit pressed for time, so if you need something expanded upon I can do so later.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Again the question is...
Is this Ectoplasmic Hands or Extended Ectoplasmic Hands
And is this a new hypothetical Ectoplasmic Leg or Psychic Walk?
For Ectoplasmic Hand I would charge something like 8 PPE to activate
For EXTENDED Ectoplasmic Hands I would charge something around 30-40 PPE to activate as it is a major Power Tattoo

For Ectoplasmic Leg again 8 PPE to activate
For Psychic Walk, its a power tattoo so off the cuff 20?

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

What would you expect from it?

I would expect that it would just replace the missing limb, With no :crane: pandering to munchkins when trying to figure out the basic costs.

After the basic costs are defined…then the costs for "Powers" can be figured out Separately.

Does that mean I would not be opposed to the magic weapon mods added to it. Not really. But talking about more then the basic cost before the basic costs is be DEFINED is putting killing the horse before getting the motor to power the vehicle.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”