Illusion Spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Illusion Spells

Unread post by dragonfett »

Can someone help me figure out what spells are considered Illusion spells? A Lord Magus starts with knowledge of all Illusion spells, not to mention they can not be placed into Talismans, so I was wondering if someone had created a list of Illusion spells.

(Note: I would have used the Search feature first, but apparently the website doesn't like my browser)
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Illusion Spells

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Fool's gold
multiple image
horrific illusion
Apparition
Illusion booster
Illusory wall
mask of Deceit
hallucination
World Bizarre
Illusion Manipulation
Illusory Forest
(Magic Warrior)
curse of the world bizarre
illusory terrain

These are the invocation spells in the RBoM that 'are' illusion spells.

There are others that can have illusionary equivlents or can be 'considered' to be illusion spells. Such as, but not limited to, Blinding flash o& chromatic protection. A gm will have to make the final choice about which is what.

Magic Warrior is included in the list because it can be 'disbelieved' for only half damage.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

There are a couple sources of this actually.
The simplest is of course "spells that create an illusion" which unfortunately begs the question of just what that means.

Unfortunately it is a lot more complicated (as usual). The whole talisman thing dates back to the old HU days when there was still two kinds of magic... Wizard magic and Illusionist magic (this was itself a hold over from the entire systems origins but I digress)
Thus the old way had it that any spell on the Illusionist list was an illusion, which is simple. But that separate list got erased in when HU got revised and then over the years more spells have been added which blur the lines. Is illusion booster an illusion spell or a 'meta-magic' spell for example, or are all spells that deal with magical light illusions (like chromatic protection, or blinding flash...neither of which follow the normal rules for blindness.) good questions with no good canon answers.
My personal go to answer is "any spell that creates the effect of something that is not or manipulates light, sound or other sensory input in a way that does not cause direct physical harm." It may not be a rock solid canon answer but it has proved workable so far.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Another way to find the illusion spells is to go to the HU1 mainbook and read the list of illusion spells there. Page 101.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
dragonfett
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Another way to find the illusion spells is to go to the HU1 mainbook and read the list of illusion spells there. Page 101.

Where can I find the HU1 book?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

Thanks all for the replies by the way.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

dragonfett wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Another way to find the illusion spells is to go to the HU1 mainbook and read the list of illusion spells there. Page 101.

Where can I find the HU1 book?

I think Drew means Heroes Unlimited: Revised, which can be purchased from Palladium in physical copy here and can be purchased as a .pdf copy from here.

But don't rush out and buy it yet. Here is that list of spells from which the Heroes Unlimited: Revised "Magician" could choose from. I feel it's a poor indicator of what would be Illusion spells vs non-illusion spells since the Magician in HU:Revised wasn't just an Illusionist and was only "generally limited to optical and illusionary effects." Feel free to take a look at this list and cast your own judgement:

• Charismatic Aura
  • Chameleon
  • Cloud Of Smoke
  • Darkness
  • Death Trance
  • Fingers of the Wind
  • Float in Air
  • Fool's Gold
  • Heavy Breathing
  • Mask of Deceit
  • Magic Pigeon
  • Multiple Image
  • Mystic Illusion
  • See the Invisible
  • Sense Evil
  • Shadow Walk
  • Spontaneous Combustion
  • Swirling Lights
  • Sword to Snakes
  • Tongues
  • Tum Self to Mist
  • Water to Wine
  • Wisps of Confusion
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Yep…..HU1r.
*shrugs*….that is the only HU1 I (and most people) can get. So to me it is HU1.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonfett
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Fool's gold
multiple image
horrific illusion
Apparition
Illusion booster
Illusory wall
mask of Deceit
hallucination
World Bizarre
Illusion Manipulation
Illusory Forest
(Magic Warrior)
curse of the world bizarre
illusory terrain

These are the invocation spells in the RBoM that 'are' illusion spells.

There are others that can have illusionary equivlents or can be 'considered' to be illusion spells. Such as, but not limited to, Blinding flash o& chromatic protection. A gm will have to make the final choice about which is what.

Magic Warrior is included in the list because it can be 'disbelieved' for only half damage.

Question: If Magic Warrior could be counted as an Illusion spell, then by extension couldn't Warrior Horde also be considered an Illusion spell? Warrior Horde is simply a huge upgrade to Magic Warrior.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

dragonfett wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:snip...
(Magic Warrior)
…snip

Question: If Magic Warrior could be counted as an Illusion spell, then by extension couldn't Warrior Horde also be considered an Illusion spell? Warrior Horde is simply a huge upgrade to Magic Warrior.

Does the spell text have a disbelieve component?

However, even if it does, I would not let a L1 char have a Spell of Legend to start with.
The core concept around spells of legends is the idea that 'The Char has to WORK to find/gain them' and that 'they are not just handed out to anyone'. With them the object of a quest or the reward for a quest.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Warrior Horde is certainly based on Magic Horde Warrior[sup]thanks drew[/sup], but it's certainly not just a matter of numbers. It's an upgrade in quantity but I think a downgrade in quality, as the horde has lower attributes/bonuses in some areas.

There does not appear to be a disbelieve option for the warrior horde. This is an advantage for it in one respect... but one disadvantage I can see there is you can't use Illusion Booster to double its duration for a cheap price, like you can for Magic Warrior (and stack with that other one to get 4x duration)

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”