More help needed: Swap Places spell

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mr. Anchovy
D-Bee

More help needed: Swap Places spell

Unread post by Mr. Anchovy »

I want to have the PC's rescue a friend by use of the Swap Places spell to change the target with another NPC (not a PC). As the PCs are all low level, none will have the ability to cast a Level 13 spell. My thought is that the appropriate character will carry a talisman with the spell loaded as a one-shot, but that sort of takes the excitement away. Can I call for the PC to make a check to set the talisman off? Get a stealthy character to place the talisman onto the NPC? Looking for advice as to whether this is doable and a cool way for a PC to pull it off in a Mission Impossible sort of way.
"Go on, I know you know the way it is,
You're gonna have to learn to deal
'Cause there's no such thing as real
Unless there is."
--L.E.O., "Goodbye Innocence"
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: More help needed: Swap Places spell

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Yes and No. When the time runs out the two subjects swap back. If you are looking for a being that can cast Swap places at first level check out the zenith moonwarper, they have it as a natural ability
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mr. Anchovy wrote:As the PCs are all low level, none will have the ability to cast a Level 13 spell.

Why do they lack the ability to cast a Level 13 Spell? Unless otherwise indicated, most spells can be selected and cast regardless of the casters actual level provided they have enough PPE.... And there are ways to get extra PPE.

Mr. Anchovy wrote:My thought is that the appropriate character will carry a talisman with the spell loaded as a one-shot, but that sort of takes the excitement away.

The talisman spell can only load spells from Level 1 through 8 per the text. A magic scroll (Create Magic Scroll, Level 11) has no limitation on the spell's level.

Mr. Anchovy wrote:I want to have the PC's rescue a friend by use of the Swap Places spell to change the target with another NPC (not a PC).

Why not let the PCs come up with the rescue plan?

Given the duration (1min per level) and range (50ft per level and line of sight) of Swap Places though it would be a short lived rescue.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I suppose you could use the TTGD rules to try and create a variant version of SP with a longer range, although that would be pretty difficult and require a lot of prep time.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”