Familiar Link and Spell Casting

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Familiar Link and Spell Casting

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Two questions that have potential ramifications for the 9th Level spell Familiar Link depending on how they are answered.

#1. Given that the "Familiar Link" creates a sensory extension for the mage would the Mage be able to use the familiar's senses and location for spell casting aspects of range, touch, self, and line of sight?

#2. If a Mage casts a spell that effects him/her, does it also effect the familiar due to their link (when the familiar takes damage, they also take damage), or vise versa?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Familiar Link and Spell Casting

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

1: kinda. You can see through your familiars eye for line of sight, but the range is still from you. Still handy for casting certain spells around corners though.

2: Nope. No free casting of buffs on familiars and damage is not split
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

It would be an increase in power of the spell to allow buffs applied to the mage to also apply to the familiar, but I don't think it's necessarily an unreasonable one. Given the fandom's tendency towards legalistic and "allowed-if-not-forbidden" wording, the phrase "because the two are now one; an extension of each other." in the spell could allow that level of flow.

I'd allow the familiar to be used for targeting by default, though the assumption is that the spell originates from the mage. Going further than that is an expansion beyond what I think was intended, but within the wording.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would only allow buffs to affect the familiar if it went both ways.
In other words if I cast a spell on the Familiar then it affects the mage... with the Familiars saving throw being used.

Thus if you want to say that your Armor of Ithan spell will protect your Familiar when you cast it, then if I cast Agony on your Familiar then you are affected as well. And since the argument is that it is the same casting affecting one being at one time, then this means that the mage would not get a saving throw since their familiar saved for them and they are simply being affected 'two as one'
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Wouldn't that also mean that the familiar gets all my save bonuses?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Wouldn't that also mean that the familiar gets all my save bonuses?

No.
Since the familiar doesn't get your hit points or your strength or your IQ then it shouldn't get any of your other characteristics.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ShadowLogan wrote:Two questions that have potential ramifications for the 9th Level spell Familiar Link depending on how they are answered.

#1. Given that the "Familiar Link" creates a sensory extension for the mage would the Mage be able to use the familiar's senses and location for spell casting aspects of range, touch, self, and line of sight?

#2. If a Mage casts a spell that effects him/her, does it also effect the familiar due to their link (when the familiar takes damage, they also take damage), or vise versa?

#1 The canon text is loose enough that GMs can rule that within the familiar's sight is within the mage's sight for their games. From a GM's perspective I would take it on a case by case (spell by spell) basis. saying y/n/<other> about each individual spell.
Off the cuff, I would rule that range is counted only from the mage, even if the mage can 'extend' his or her Line of Sight (around corners) with the use of a familiar.

example of what I mean with the RUE LLW's see magic energy ability. it has a range distance of 1000', but also has a LOS caveat. If the mage sends out her familiar to see around a corner to see if there is magic around the other side the familiar would be able to let the mage "see" magic power emanations that would of been blocked by the physical objects up to 1000' from the mage. Whether that is strait line distance or doglegs from the familiar's position would be up to a GM.

#2 NS has answered.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”