Spells to prevent Boschala mating frenzies

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Spells to prevent Boschala mating frenzies

Unread post by Axelmania »

I love how you can just summon one of these and then control them risk-free forever as obedient pets without having to worry about battle of wills or level-based limits or anything like that...

But that only goes so far as 12, then you need to keep them separated somehow to prevent them going in to the mating frenzies which occur when there's 13+

What are ways to do that? Thinking of generic approaches I can only see (1) preventing them from perceiving each other (2) preventing them from accessing each other.

I would think (1) would be the best strategy. If (2) I'm not sure you could actually keep them obedient. Even if you could physically prevent them from mating with one another, they'd probably keep trying to do it and ignore your commands. So the idea I had of casting armor spells on them to keep them from touching each other would probably just result in a bunch of frustrated magical force field banging, probably trying to break through their own armor.

Something like say... Invisibility Superior, would that work? Cast this on any beyond 11 and the most any will ever thing is there is 12.

Obviously stuff like mind control spells would exist but that creates an ongoing expense which negates the benefit of having a free minion. It could be used temporarily until you got other measures up...

Are there any permanent or very long duration ways to keep them from perceiving the presence of a 13-group to prevent them from thinking it is time to ignore their master and mate?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Spells to prevent Boschala mating frenzies

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

You're going to have to give a book and page number, where are these from?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Axelmania wrote:I love how you can just summon one of these and then control them risk-free forever as obedient pets without having to worry about battle of wills or level-based limits or anything like that...

I am very interested to see the book(s) and page number(s) which produced the basis for this statement.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RCB1 page 172 3rd paragraph. Obidiante puppies ref phrase. (*reaches for the RCB1r….arm not long enough to reach into the other room….*)

however, the very next paragraph says that a mage "….can not control 13 or more."
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The obvious answer is to simply make sure you never have more than 12 in one place. it says only that they can't be controlled when there are 13+ togeather. You can summon hundreds if you feel like it, so long as you go somewhere else after 12 and keep them out of sight of each-other. it helps if you have Circles of Travel set up between your various bases of operation.

One could also build a large, MDC factory farm thing where each one is in it's own Cell trapped and unable to get out. Physical seperation should do it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Page 173 of the original conversion book as drew pointed out, I'll risk quoting the bulk

When summoned through a magic circle or summoned by a shifter, the creatures will respond to the summoning mage like obedient misshapen puppies. When this occurs, the mage can mentally communicate with the things by touch, or draw on the combined potential psychic energy.

Drew regarding "….can not control 13 or more." I figure this is like a situational thing. In context:
Whenever 13 or more are together, they are compelled to mate.
Furthermore, a sorcerer can not control 13 or more.

Couldn't it just be talking about that you can't control them to prevent the mating process?

Once they actually go and do it I figure maybe you could control them again.

Since it can't be repeated more than once every 24 hours I think you could just take control of a part of the group and lead them off...

Although I guess maybe they might resist you and want to stick around and wait until they mate again, except for...
they will complete ignore him and run off into the world

So they aren't compelled to stay to mate... but they will be compelled to run off...

But if they ran off, mightn't they split off into groups smaller than 13 which you could then control?

The way I read it is sort of like : if 13 are in range of eachotehr (whatever that is) they snap into a mating frenzy and it breaks most of your hold (you still have enough hold to communicate by touch and to prevent them from initiating attacks except in self defense against you) and the control/obedience could not be restored unless you re-summoned the Boschala.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Up to 5 of them can merge together at a time into a larger version of themselves, so just summon them in batches of 5?
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Axelmania wrote:snip...

Drew regarding "….can not control 13 or more." I figure this is like a situational thing. In context:

All I was doing was quoting the significant part of the text that was too on point to paraphrase shorter.

To answer the question Is it a situational thing or is the 12 cap is a hard in-total you'd need to asked the writer. Which in this case I believe is KS. So Good Luck getting an specific answer.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Axelmania wrote:snip...

All I was doing was quoting the significant part of the text that was too on point to paraphrase shorter.

To answer the question Is it a situational thing or is the 12 cap is a hard in-total you'd need to asked the writer. Which in this case I believe is KS. So Good Luck getting an specific answer.

BTS1, page 155 says that the summoning mage can't control 13 or more. Nothing about only while they're mating. I'm inclined to take that that means 12 is a hard in-total.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania
Knight

The relevant text from BTS1p155 and CBp173 and Dark Conversion 71 all seems to be basically the same if slightly altered. "Whenever 13 or more are together, they are compelled to mate." is the same, and...

Beyon: "Furthermore, the mage can not control 13 or more."
ConvB: "Furthermore, a sorcerer can not control 13 or more."
DarkC: "Furthermore, a sorcerer can NOT control 13 or more of these things."

In all cases it seems to be a continuation of the previous thought though, since 13 is also the number where they're compelled to mate.

The 'furthermore' is suspicious like it is beginning a new thought but it still seems like it would be the compulsion to mate which breaks the control in concept.

It gives the impression that a sorcerer with 13 Boschala in his bedroom would be in trouble, but you don't get the impression a sorcerer ruling 13 planets with a Boschala on each one would experience the same problems.

Grell wrote:Up to 5 of them can merge together at a time into a larger version of themselves, so just summon them in batches of 5?

The combined MDC/attacks is pretty awesome, I figured combined PPE too, though 5 separate pools probably doesn't function all that differently (maybe whether Tentac can smell you)

Those summoned together take on the same appearance but I don't actually know how to do that, Summon Lesser Being only brings one at a time.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”