Teaching magic or other things on the astral?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Teaching magic or other things on the astral?

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Could an alchemist use the astral plane to teach things or any mage or psychic for that matter? As long as there was a 4 or 5 stone guardians, and a circle of protection verses spirits, demons, and the like. Maybe a tiger beast summoned to prevent the bodies from being possessed?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Teaching magic or other things on the astral?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Nothing stops anyone with access to the astral plane from TRYING to use it's time dilation to teach people more quickly.

How effective and how safe it is depends on the resources they have available.

honestly, unless you are buddies with an Astral Lord or someone else who has a private Astral domain they can control things within, it's probablly not worth the risk.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

HUmmm…There is a Time flow differential between the outer Astral plane and the physical world.

But if going to the AP outer layer it is not a dilation.

NS does bring up a good point about having a Safe Place to conduce said schooling.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
tuvermage
Wanderer

Unread post by tuvermage »

Short answer, yes. You have to deal with all the problems that come with the astral plane, but if you are okay with that then yes. There is also other dimensions where time passes differently also as an option.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I have an Astral Mage character that taught a couple of other mages spells using the time dilation to save time.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I still have trouble understanding how the astral cord works once the astral body leaves physical coexistence to go to the planes... I guess maybe it heads off somewhere and goes through some portal but I have no idea where the portal would be. This is a big factor since even if you protect your body, you might have some cord floating helpless above your shop which someone could come snip.

An alchemist might have a better luck using dimensional or astral portal to go directly to an astral kingdom in the outer planes, more secure.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

The cord trails off behind the body into nothingness. It doesn't specifically say what happens to the cord but is targetable by those in combat with the projecting psychic. I would assume that the cord trails from the body off into nothingness as well when the psychic is in the other astral planes. So it would be up to the GM as to whether it could be attacked from the other end, ie the psychic's comatose body, or not.
VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Unread post by VIsgar »

Seems like people would see cords going in most direction, but mainly on dragon lines. I thought the cord starts where you enter and the further you travel the longer the cord and more likely to have it attacked by some ******e.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

One possibly explanation of how a cord isn't a "free success" back to your body while in the outer planes is that they are so cloudy that you can't actually see where your cord leads?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”