Interesting question...

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Interesting question...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

What would the results be of casting anti-magic cloud both at and above a super nexus? All of your ideas are welcomed.

I expect some very imaginative responses. Please do it as if it has just happened in your games.

In my game, the ground formed into a woman and took the caster into the ground to torture me for temporarily braking one of the mystic seal and disrupting the flow of energy on the planet. Yay!

But I succeeded in my mission to disrupt the grand covens (high level witches) plans of summoning an alien intelligence on the summer solstice, during an planetary alignment and a solar eclipse.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Interesting question...

Unread post by Prysus »

pblackcrow wrote:What would the results be of casting anti-magic cloud both at and above a super nexus? All of your ideas are welcomed.

I expect some very imaginative responses. Please do it as if it has just happened in your games.

In my game, the ground formed into a woman and took the caster into the ground to torture me for temporarily braking one of the mystic seal and disrupting the flow of energy on the planet. Yay!

But I succeeded in my mission to disrupt the grand covens (high level witches) plans of summoning an alien intelligence on the summer solstice, during an planetary alignment and a solar eclipse.

Greetings and Salutations. Nothing out of the ordinary would happen. Both would act without hindrance. The super Nexus isn't casting magic and the anti-magic cloud doesn't absorb P.P.E., so there's no conflict. An anti-magic cloud won't destroy a rune weapon either (just another demonstration that the AMC isn't the end all be all of spells).

Now if you cast it during a ley line storm, when the line (or the Nexus) is unleashing random magic, then we might get an interesting reaction. But just at and/or above? Not that special. Farewell and safe jojourneys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I could see an anti-magic cloud causing ley lines to divert. The AMC radius isn't that huge though compared to the ley lines which run miles, so diverting a couple hundred feet would not be an issue per-se. Of course, the diversion could distrupt the supernexus into a plain old regular nexus or multiple nexi.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Nothing.
That is outside the Spells assigned designation.
I think Nazca line magic allows leyline manipulation.
Check that out its in South America book 2 I think.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Youd do more by hiring some mystic knights and making them pull the power from the witches.
The amount of ppe at a super nexus with everything else you described though youd need alot of mystic knights to matter.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

That's easy. the Anti-Magic cloud at a super nexus would cover 6x the usual area an anti-magic cloud a caster of that level could make.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
pblackcrow
Champion

Nekira Sudacne wrote:That's easy. the Anti-Magic cloud at a super nexus would cover 6x the usual area an anti-magic cloud a caster of that level could make.

Okay...You missed the point. But that's okay.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

pblackcrow wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:That's easy. the Anti-Magic cloud at a super nexus would cover 6x the usual area an anti-magic cloud a caster of that level could make.

Prehaps you could explain the point a bit more, then?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

pblackcrow wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. Well, you did say ...

pblackcrow wrote:Please do it as if it has just happened in your games.

Now, had you said something like: "Ignore how the abilities actually work in the book and grant them whatever extra abilities that could make the scenario more entertaining ..." or "I don't care about the books or how you'd do it in your game, just make up stuff to entertain me" then some of us might've answered differently. However, since it was asked that we answer it as it had just happened in one of our games, the answer will often be exactly like the powers are written (and since the two don't conflict, the answer is actually boring).

For note, I got the point, but I answered it the way you actually asked us to. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. From reading his original post, this is the impression I got (though I could be wrong) ...

"In our games we make Anti-Magic Cloud disrupt all magic, even ley lines. In a recent game, it was cast at a Super-Nexus resulting in a type of immovable object vs. unstoppable force situation. In our game, this is what happened ... [scenario in original post]. What kind of cool or interesting ideas could you come up with if this type of situation?"

I believe the post is designed to spark imagination and get the creative juices flowing. Basically try to be original and inventive with how you craft your answer. I believe (and I'm basing this off of how the original post was written as a whole, but I could be wrong) that was his point (even if it's not what he actually asked). Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember the description for Anti-Magic Cloud being so cut and dried, but I don't have my books at easy reference at the moment. More importantly in my case is I have always rewarded creative casting and always added random, unexpected elements when magic collides. It's just how I view magic vs. science.

For me, I find how various GMs interpret spell effects to be exciting and interesting.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Spinachcat wrote:Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember the description for Anti-Magic Cloud being so cut and dried, but I don't have my books at easy reference at the moment. More importantly in my case is I have always rewarded creative casting and always added random, unexpected elements when magic collides. It's just how I view magic vs. science.

For me, I find how various GMs interpret spell effects to be exciting and interesting.

Greetings and Salutations. Depends on what you mean by cut and dry. The description never addresses ley lines one way or the other. But I'll discuss why I think it is clearly one way.

The book doesn't say it does disrupt ley lines lines, let alone nexi and super nexi. Granting unlisted abilities can be a dangerous ruling, but really an opinion (and perhaps sometimes even necessary).

Beyond that we have Rifts (you won't find this in PF), but we have some details on how it affects rune weapons (they're still invulnerable, but can't use their magical abilities) as well as creatures of magic (they become S.D.C, which means they lose their benefits from a high magic world, and can't use magical abilities).

Next we need to start asking questions. Is this spell instant death (or at least constantly damage) creatures of magic (which need magic to survive)? If so, that's a pretty HUGE addition (and one that would conflict with Rifts, but not PF). If not, then why does it leave beings of magic alone but hurt a ley line?

Then I ask: Does it reduce everyone's P.P.E. to zero? If so, another massive change. If not, then why does it disrupt the P.P.E. flow of a ley line (which is much larger and more powerful)?

It's not that the book says it doesn't affect ley lines, it's the ripples (or waves) this ruling would have on the setting with zero evidence it works that way.

Now I will say I have no problem with people running their games however they want. If the players understand the changes and/or don't mind when it's suddenly sprung on them, cool. On the other hand when a post is made saying someone else (not me, but that shouldn't matter) that they missed the point because they didn't answer it the same, it bugs me more. That's all. Farewell and safe journeys.

pblackcrow
Champion

Prysus wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. From reading his original post, this is the impression I got (though I could be wrong) ...

"In our games we make Anti-Magic Cloud disrupt all magic, even ley lines. In a recent game, it was cast at a Super-Nexus resulting in a type of immovable object vs. unstoppable force situation. In our game, this is what happened ... [scenario in original post]. What kind of cool or interesting ideas could you come up with if this type of situation?"

I believe the post is designed to spark imagination and get the creative juices flowing. Basically try to be original and inventive with how you craft your answer. I believe (and I'm basing this off of how the original post was written as a whole, but I could be wrong) that was his point (even if it's not what he actually asked). Farewell and safe journeys for now.

BINGO!!!!!!
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”