Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:11 am
Posts: 188
Curious if people have tweaked the TW design rules for their game and if so what are the tweaks? I like that increasing the gem size decreases activation cost. Seems reasonable that the bigger gem would focus the PPE better reducing the activation cost. I dislike that increased gem size reduces PPE Construction Cost mainly because as the rules stand the cost of an item gets cheaper for the larger gem and the activation cost goes down at the same time. I am experimenting with removing gem size from the PPE Construction Cost formulae and adding gem size to the Activation Cost formulae in the denominator to offset the change to the OPE Construction Cost equation. Thoughts?

New equations would be:

Base PPE Construction Cost = SpellChain PPE x Device Level x 10 / numher of carats in the Primary Spell's required gem.

Activation Cost = Base PPE Construction Cost / 20 / number of carats in the Primary Spell's required gem


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:26 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:43 pm
Posts: 1971
Location: Madsion, Wisconsin
While I'd have to dig up a lot of old rules on my external hard drive for any details, the short answer is yes, as I long ago through out pretty much every rule for PB games out the window, since it was less work then trying to fix it :P

_________________
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:10 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm
Posts: 10120
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
I have done some adjustments.
A few things I did...
I made the gems based per 100 ppe of the spell. So instead of needing 1ct for a spell, you need 1ct per 100 PPE.
I make the reduction apply separately to PPE build cost, Cost to Build and Time to Build
I make the reductions in PPE build from gems be a multiplier (so you don't ad 1ct, you add 1 base of ct weight gems)
I only allow the PPE cost to be reduced by 2/3 maximum before requiring 'special work' (I.e. off table designs, quests, rare components etc)
And I am ruthless on the 'you make a design and I will tell you the actual results'. And unless the TW gets a critical success on their design roll (01, or 1/20th of required roll) I do NOT tell them the final results/limits/modifications until after the prototype has been built)

The result is that 'generic' devices are still pretty much the same....but the giant game breaking devices suddenly become either impossible, or require so many resources as to fall safely in the realm of 'high tier plot devices' not 'level 1 TWs build this in their spare time'

_________________
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:18 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:11 am
Posts: 188
eliakon wrote:
I have done some adjustments.
A few things I did...
I made the gems based per 100 ppe of the spell. So instead of needing 1ct for a spell, you need 1ct per 100 PPE.
I make the reduction apply separately to PPE build cost, Cost to Build and Time to Build
I make the reductions in PPE build from gems be a multiplier (so you don't ad 1ct, you add 1 base of ct weight gems)
I only allow the PPE cost to be reduced by 2/3 maximum before requiring 'special work' (I.e. off table designs, quests, rare components etc)
And I am ruthless on the 'you make a design and I will tell you the actual results'. And unless the TW gets a critical success on their design roll (01, or 1/20th of required roll) I do NOT tell them the final results/limits/modifications until after the prototype has been built)

The result is that 'generic' devices are still pretty much the same....but the giant game breaking devices suddenly become either impossible, or require so many resources as to fall safely in the realm of 'high tier plot devices' not 'level 1 TWs build this in their spare time'


Interesting thanks for the input. I assume you meant the reduction applies seperately to mean you must include more gems to get each parameter reduced.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:38 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm
Posts: 10120
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Mlp7029 wrote:
eliakon wrote:
I have done some adjustments.
A few things I did...
I made the gems based per 100 ppe of the spell. So instead of needing 1ct for a spell, you need 1ct per 100 PPE.
I make the reduction apply separately to PPE build cost, Cost to Build and Time to Build
I make the reductions in PPE build from gems be a multiplier (so you don't ad 1ct, you add 1 base of ct weight gems)
I only allow the PPE cost to be reduced by 2/3 maximum before requiring 'special work' (I.e. off table designs, quests, rare components etc)
And I am ruthless on the 'you make a design and I will tell you the actual results'. And unless the TW gets a critical success on their design roll (01, or 1/20th of required roll) I do NOT tell them the final results/limits/modifications until after the prototype has been built)

The result is that 'generic' devices are still pretty much the same....but the giant game breaking devices suddenly become either impossible, or require so many resources as to fall safely in the realm of 'high tier plot devices' not 'level 1 TWs build this in their spare time'


Interesting thanks for the input. I assume you meant the reduction applies seperately to mean you must include more gems to get each parameter reduced.

Yes. You have to increase the gems (by the factor) to get the PPE reduction, then again to get the PPE build total reduction, and again to get the build time reduction.....

_________________
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group