Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Unread postPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
I see what you are saying. Generally plants are not intelligent enough to do what my player suggested and Object Read might be the best thing to use aside from nature spells. Psionics cannot, after all, grant plants a sentience for a limited duration, which a power like what he suggests would have to do.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Rifter® Contributer

TrumbachD wrote:
I saw the thread on invented spells and wondered why there wasn't one for new Psionics, so I started one.
lets here some of your ideas for new psionic powers, new categories for those powers or even new PCCs!

In Rifter Number 56 on page 64 there are some new psionics.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Kovoston wrote:
TrumbachD wrote:
I saw the thread on invented spells and wondered why there wasn't one for new Psionics, so I started one.
lets here some of your ideas for new psionic powers, new categories for those powers or even new PCCs!

You realize the post you are replying to was written in July of 2009, and Rifter 56 was released in October 2011, right?

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Priest

13eowulf wrote:
Kovoston wrote:
TrumbachD wrote:

You realize the post you are replying to was written in July of 2009, and Rifter 56 was released in October 2011, right?

I'm grateful for the reminder of the Rifter contributions. Some of them may not have since been made canon. or at least deserved to be looked at, so we don't re-invent somebody else;s fanwork. :wink: .

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:34 am

Rifter® Contributer

taalismn wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Kovoston wrote:
TrumbachD wrote:

I'm grateful for the reminder of the Rifter contributions. Some of them may not have since been made canon. or at least deserved to be looked at, so we don't re-invent somebody else;s fanwork. :wink: .

Thank you!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am

Knight

Dit somebodie got up with Boosts Pain:the ability to boost existing pain,making a pin pric feel like ther finger was Cut Off.
Range:touch or within 3 feet.
duration:hone hour per level of experience.
I.s.p:4.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Priest

gaby wrote:
Dit somebodie got up with Boosts Pain:the ability to boost existing pain,making a pin pric feel like ther finger was Cut Off.
Range:touch or within 3 feet.
duration:hone hour per level of experience.
I.s.p:4.

Biomanipulation already serves this quite nicely for imposing pain on people.

Next, you have failed to state which category it belongs in(Sensitive, Healing, Physical or Super). Decide and post the title of the power and its category at the beginning of your post, not midway through it.

Damage/Effect: You're best served by coming up with a comparative chart(ranging from 'pinprick' to 'flayed alive') of how much 'damage'(in terms of hard stats like -x to initiative, -x to strike or parry using the affected limb, etc.)the boost/increase in pain does.
'Making a pinprick feel like their finger was cut off' doesn't really do much, because a strong-willed person might just look at their hand, see the finger is still attached, and brush off the pain.
And a person with massive second-degree burns who is already in agony just might pass out at an increase in pain(3rd degree burn victims don't feel much pain because the nerves have already been destroyed; it's the remaining nerves around the edges of the burns that hurt like a bastard and make burn treatment so agonizing).

Also state what, if any, are the saving throws against this power?

And again, PLEASE watch spelling and punctuation.

Rework this and take your time at it; haste is not your friend here.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Priest

Range: Self or by touch
Duration: 6d6 melees
I.S.P.: 6
Saving Throw: Standard if used on another person
Base Skill: 54%+2% per level of experience
A possible mutation of the Clairvoyance power, Avatar Vision allows the psychic to catch glimpses of a person’s possible other dimensional selves. Though arguably Clairvoyance may be seeing across temporally-skewed alternate universes to see glimpses of what MIGHT be in the viewer’s own universe, Avatar Vision inarguably catches glimpses of what might have BEEN, what otherwise IS, and possibly what could yet BE. Both the psychic and the person they are reading will share a dreamlike state in which 2d4 other ‘selves’ may be viewed, with attendant impressions and stray thoughts of the person(s). As a tool, Avatar Vision shows possible trends and common traits in a person, and probable outcomes(for instance, if visions of slow death predominate in a seeing, it may point to inherent health problems and a tendency to ignore them, while versions showing the person doing evil things may hint at a predilection/susceptibility to temptation, corruption, and evil). Insight into the character of a person may be derived from common traits seen in their other-dimensional selves. Other useful applications of this power may allow the person to see mistakes they made and how to correct them, if other dimensional selves have also made the same mistake(example: seeing several other selves who have invented a particular device may lead the person to revisit a previously abandoned line of thought or project, or look into a specific field of study).
For dimensional travelers, visions brought up by this power may prove useful if they recognize a person’s other-dimensional avatar and/or people and places from their surrounding environment.
If used in a dimensional pyramid or at a leyline nexus, boost duration by 50% and add +5% to the skill; the glimpses will be more detailed, sharper, and longer-lasting.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Last edited by taalismn on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
taalismn wrote:
A possible mutation of the Clairvoyance power, Avatar Vision allows the psychic to catch glimpses of a person’s possible other dimensional selves. Though arguably Clairvoyance may be seeing across temporally-skewed alternate universes to see glimpses of what MIGHT be in the viewer’s own universe, Avatar Vision inarguably catches glimpses of what might have BEEN, what otherwise IS, and possibly what could yet BE. Both the psychic and the person they are reading will share a dreamlike state in which 2d4 other ‘selves’ may be viewed, with attendant impressions and stray thoughts of the person(s). As a tool, Avatar Vision shows possible trends and common traits in a person, and probable outcomes(for instance, if visions of slow death predominate in a seeing, it may point to inherent health problems and a tendency to ignore them, while versions showing the person doing evil things may hint at a predilection/susceptibility to temptation, corruption, and evil). Insight into the character of a person may be derived from common traits seen in their other-dimensional selves. Other useful app;ications of this power may allow the person to see mistakes they made and how to correct them, if other dimensional selves have also made the same mistake(example: seeing several other selves who have invented a particular device may lead the person to revisit a previously abandoned line of thought or project, or look into a specific field of study).
For dimensional travelers, visions brought up by this power may prove useful if they recognize a person’s other-dimensional avatar and/or people and places from their surrounding environment.
If used in a dimensional pyramid or at a leyline nexus, boost duration by 50% and add +5% to the skill; the glimpses will be more detailed, sharper, and longer-lasting.
Awesome.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:
A possible mutation of the Clairvoyance power, Avatar Vision allows the psychic to catch glimpses of a person’s possible other dimensional selves. Though arguably Clairvoyance may be seeing across temporally-skewed alternate universes to see glimpses of what MIGHT be in the viewer’s own universe, Avatar Vision inarguably catches glimpses of what might have BEEN, what otherwise IS, and possibly what could yet BE. Both the psychic and the person they are reading will share a dreamlike state in which 2d4 other ‘selves’ may be viewed, with attendant impressions and stray thoughts of the person(s). As a tool, Avatar Vision shows possible trends and common traits in a person, and probable outcomes(for instance, if visions of slow death predominate in a seeing, it may point to inherent health problems and a tendency to ignore them, while versions showing the person doing evil things may hint at a predilection/susceptibility to temptation, corruption, and evil). Insight into the character of a person may be derived from common traits seen in their other-dimensional selves. Other useful app;ications of this power may allow the person to see mistakes they made and how to correct them, if other dimensional selves have also made the same mistake(example: seeing several other selves who have invented a particular device may lead the person to revisit a previously abandoned line of thought or project, or look into a specific field of study).
Awesome.

I was inspired by a Timothy Zahn short story: 'Cascade Point', in which a side effect of an FTL drive system is a moment wherein crew and passengers are surrounded by shadowy, slightly different images of themselves; presumably possible other selves in parallel universes.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Rifter® Contributer

taalismn wrote:

Good job!!! :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:16 pm

D-Bee

Telekinetic Psi-Chakram (Super)
Range: 300 feet
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience
I.S.P.: 36/18 If your a cyberkight
Saving Throw: Dodge or parry.

Most of the rules are the same as Psi-Sword with some differences. For each round make three attack roll's, one for each target. Max three targets or one target up to three attacks.
The telekinetic psi-chakram will always return to your hand.
Telekinetic Psi-Chakram damage: same as psi sword, 4d6 M.D. at level three. And add 2d6 M.D. at levels four, seven, nine, twelve, and fifteen. If you are a cyberkight adjust the damage to be the same as the cyberkight's Psi-Sword. +3 to strike. It is aimed and controlled by your mind.
You can attack anything within a 300 feet radius.

This is the first power I had made please guide me if it need some work?

Last edited by Shadowdragon7 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Telekinetic Push (Super)
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:45 am

Dungeon Crawler

Telekinetic Push (Super)

Range: By touch or one foot (0.3 m) per level of experience.
Duration: Instant
I.S.P.: 4
Saving Throw: None

The power is basically the same as the ability described in the Physical category of psionic powers, but greatly enhanced. The pushing force is equal to a Supernatural P.S. of 16+1 per level of the psychic. The Super Telekinetic Push is roughly equal to a body block and does 1D4 M.D. damage, will knock up to one human sized target per level of experience back twenty yards/meters knocking the target(s) off their feet causing loss of initiative and dazing the for 1D4 melee rounds (see Stun under Bio-Manipulation for penalities; targets with Supernatural endurance are knocked off their feet and lose one melee action). Targets weighing more than 500 pounds or who possess Robotic P.S., Supernatural P.S. are only shoved a yard or two and there is only a 01-60% chance of being knocked off their feet causing loss of intiative and one melee action. Inanimate objects weighing under 50 pounds (22.5 kg) are "pushed" or slid across the ground twice as far, roughly forty yards/me­ters.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Mlp7029 wrote:
Telekinetic Push (Super)

Range: By touch or one foot (0.3 m) per level of experience.
I.S.P.: 4
Saving Throw: None

The power is basically the same as the ability described in the Physical category of psionic powers, but greatly enhanced. The pushing force is equal to a Supernatural P.S. of 16+1 per level of the psychic. The Super Telekinetic Push is roughly equal to a body block and does 1D4 M.D. damage, will knock up to one human sized target per level of experience back twenty yards/meters knocking the target(s) off their feet causing loss of initiative and dazing the for 1D4 melee rounds (see Stun under Bio-Manipulation for penalities; targets with Supernatural endurance are knocked off their feet and lose one melee action). Targets weighing more than 500 pounds or who possess Robotic P.S., Supernatural P.S. are only shoved a yard or two and there is only a 01-60% chance of being knocked off their feet causing loss of intiative and one melee action. Inanimate objects weighing under 50 pounds (22.5 kg) are "pushed" or slid across the ground twice as far, roughly forty yards/me­ters.
The ISP cost should be greater.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:51 pm

Priest

Shadowdragon7 wrote:

Most of the rules are the same as Psi-Sword with some differences. For each round make three attack roll's, one for each target. Max three targets or one target up to three attacks.

You should explain what a Chakram is to the unknowing. This is basically a psi-frisbee of death. And for completeness's sake, put the damage in the stats, and any bonuses for striking(from just having the ability, hand to hand bonuses, or applicable skills).

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:58 am

Monk

taalismn wrote:
Shadowdragon7 wrote:

You should explain what a Chakram is to the unknowing. This is basically a psi-frisbee of death. And for completeness's sake, put the damage in the stats, and any bonuses for striking(from just having the ability, hand to hand bonuses, or applicable skills).

A Chakram is a flat Ring of Metal with the external edge sharpened. It is a Thrown weapon and is thrown much like a frisbee.

In many old photographs of middle east guys you might see them wearing on their person multiple chakram.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakram
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_cX1SwiC1Y

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Shadowdragon7 wrote:

I am sort of leery of this as written (but not the idea as a whole)
Reasons:
1) as written it seems to suggest that it can be used to make three attacks on up to three targets with one action
2) the damage/ISP cost is rather low, ESPECIALLY if it is actually x3
3) I am not clear if it is used as a melee weapon (like a psi sword) and offers a bonus throw! or if the throwing uses attacks
4) There is no clairity on if the targets need to be close together, all with in 300' of the next target, 300' of each other, 300' of me or what
5) I would, personally, think that the privilege of throwing a weapon, let alone multiple strikes is worth more than 6isp over the 'base' power

The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Monk

The power would use the TK strike bonuses, and would be like the "Dirty Pair's" "Bloody Card" flying about at a distance but controlled by the psion.

It needs some flavor text to define what it does. IOW the poster needs to get out his creative writing cap and get to work writing out the ideas in his head to the page.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Monk

level 4 edit

My Artwork

Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:05 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
The power would use the TK strike bonuses, and would be like the "Dirty Pair's" "Bloody Card" flying about at a distance but controlled by the psion.

It needs some flavor text to define what it does. IOW the poster needs to get out his creative writing cap and get to work writing out the ideas in his head to the page.

See when I read the power I thought Xena more than Dirty Pair, at least that is where I thought the poster was going.

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
13eowulf wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

See when I read the power I thought Xena more than Dirty Pair, at least that is where I thought the poster was going.

Exactly why I was saying that it needs more clarity...Both are possible....but they are sort of exclusive, and have different ups and downs (TK strike vs WP for instance...)
Which is why a power needs to be well defined (especially when the power is novel)

The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Monk

Never watched Xena. *shrugs*. Did she have one that she could mentally control to strike targets?

Was saying the TK bonuses because of the power's name has Telekinetic directly in it.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:30 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Never watched Xena. *shrugs*. Did she have one that she could mentally control to strike targets?

Was saying the TK bonuses because of the power's name has Telekinetic directly in it.

Mental control would be the only possible explanation for the multiple strike/ricochet shots she pulls off... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMCuQ353Lv8

(That and it is actually called a Chakram, so the association is more direct)

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Monk

13eowulf wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Mental control would be the only possible explanation for the multiple strike/ricochet shots she pulls off... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMCuQ353Lv8

(That and it is actually called a Chakram, so the association is more direct)

"This Video is Unavailable"

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:38 pm

D-Bee

Shadowdragon7 wrote:
Saving Throw: Dodge or parry.

Most of the rules are the same as Psi-Sword with some differences. Add 8 I.S.P. if you want the Chakram to ricochet off of two extra targets for one round within range.
Telekinetic Psi-Chakram damage: same as psi sword, 4d6 M.D. at level three. And add 2d6 M.D. at levels four, seven, nine, twelve, and fifteen. If you are a cyberkight adjust the damage to be the same as the cyberkight's Psi-Sword. +3 to strike. It is aimed and controlled by your mind.
You can attack anything within a 300 feet radius.

I have updated the power and what should the power cost be at?

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:11 am

D-Bee

Bio-Manipulation
Range 160ft
Duration 4-16 minutes
I.S.P. 10

Loosen Bowls: Sometimes you want payback

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Priest

Shadowdragon7 wrote:
Bio-Manipulation
Range 160ft
Duration 4-16 minutes
I.S.P. 10

Loosen Bowls: Sometimes you want payback

Add a few stats(reductions in speed, HtH bonuses, initiative, MA/PB, whatever) for what you'd consider to be the effects of having catastrophic loss of sphincter control....because some people aren't likely to be as inconvenienced as others by brown pants.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:26 am

Dungeon Crawler

Cellular Necrosis (super)

Range: touch
Duration: 1d4 weeks / permanent
ISP: 40 / 100 + permanent loss of 1d4 x 10 isp
Saving throw: +2 (if the psionic makes a biology/MD skill check the bonus to save is negated)

Targets living cells turning them into terminator cells, each cell infects another which increases exponentially, cells ignore their primary function, red blood cells no longer carry oxygen, T cells no longer fight infection etc.

Stage one: after 1D4 days the victim becomes weak, lethargic halves all combat bonuses, reduces speed and strength by 1/3 and saving throws against poison/disease are at -3

Stage Two: after the victims P.E. in days they will be unable to move (even to feed themselves), are -20% save vs coma/death -8 to save vs poison/disease, can not heal physical damage and loses 1 SDC/HP every 6 hrs, all forms of healing are 1/2 as effective

Stage Three: after 1D6+2 weeks the victim will lapse into a coma (no chance to save) and loses 2D6 SDC/HP per day, is -40% save vs coma/death, all healing is 1/4 effective

Constant blood transfusions (at least 2 pints per day) will slow the progression by half, but not reduce the negative effects

after the effect has run it's course (assuming it is not made permanent, or the target dies beforehand) the target will stop losing sdc/hp but will be at -5 save vs poison/disease, -20% save vs coma/death, 1/4 speed and strength, all combat bonuses negated and an additional -3, with only 1 action per melee for the next 1D4+2 weeks (constant blood transfusions will cut the recovery time in half)

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:16 am

Dungeon Crawler

bifurcated mind (super)

Range: self
Duration: 1 hr/lv or until canceled
ISP: 35
Saving throw: NA

This mental feat allows the psychic to split their mind along the hemisphere which allows them to (mentally) communicate directly with their subconscious to recall information. The split also see's one dominant mind able to use pure logic while the other is more abstract (left brain, right brain) which can make solving problems much easier. Any mental probes will not detect 2 minds, but one very erratic mind. The subordinate mind has no control over the physical body, but is able to use psionics but still drains the ISP of the body (it can also talismans or magic that do not require words to be spoken if the body has the skills and PPE).

penalties: each mind is reduced by one attack/action for the duration so a psychic with 3 attacks will have 2 physical or mental attacks/actions with one mind, and up to 2 mental attacks/actions with the second mind

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:36 pm

Priest

PSI-Lence wrote:
bifurcated mind (super)

Psionic probes may sense a confused mind, but I'd give it the added bonus that anybody trying to dominate the person with this ability active, would find themselves unable to succeed wholly; they'd find themselves only controlling half the body. The other half would still suffer the -1 APM penalty, but would be able to automatically(at the expense of no further actions) attempt to parry/entangle any actions made by their possessed half. More complicated actions like striking(like punching yourself in the face) or disarming would take up an action like normal.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:07 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
I'm playing a Mind Mage in a Palladium Fantasy game. I'll be making up some super-psionics as (if) the character continues to level. Here's the first one I've put together, inspired by the Mutant Animal psionic power of the same name.

Telepathic Transmission
Range: 100 feet + 50 feet per level of experience.
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience.
Saving Throw: Varies.
Cost: 8 I.S.P., +4 per person for two-way communication.
Type: Super

This is a simple yet powerful application of telepathy which allows direct mind-to-mind speech. In its first application the psychic expends 8 I.S.P. and is able to speak to anyone within range of the power mentally instead of verbally, up to the range of the power. The psionic can focus the Telepathic Transmission so that only one specific character will receive it, or the Transmission can "speak" to several people at the same time, so long as everyone is within the range limit (the psychic can select who can and cannot hear).

There is no saving throw for this application of the power because it is not an attack. At worst, all the psionic can do is "shout" unpleasantries and the receiver can choose to ignore the message. Non-psionics unfamiliar with this ability will assume that the Telepathic Transmission is normal speech. A Mind Block prevents the psionic from being heard, and just like standard Telepathy this power will trigger Mind Block Auto Defense in those that have it.

The second application of this power allows two-way psychic, mind-to-mind communication between multiple people. The psychic become the relay for this group; those connected direct what they wish to say mentally into the link and the psychic immediately broadcasts it to the other members. In this manner everyone linked can carry on a complete conversation with each other in absolute silence!

The psychic can create this link with as many as one person per level of experience, at a cost of the initial 8 I.S.P. plus 4 I.S.P. per each member. Only willing people can be brought into this link. Anyone unwilling automatically saves. Anyone who is part of the linked group who becomes unwilling automatically breaks their link and no longer sends or receives this mental speech with the rest of the group.

This power has a number of limitations. It cannot be used to read any surface thoughts or emotions, it only facilitates communication with words the members direct to be communicated. Mind Blocks will prevent this communication just like with the one-way broadcast. This especially includes the psychic who activated the power - if he raises a mind block the power immediately ends! A group mind block will also protect anyone within its influence as per normal. This power does not translate languages in any way, either. Whatever language is sent through the link is the language everyone will hear. They will understand it or not depending on their skills - though this direct method of communication does provide a +10% bonus on any language rolls made to understand what another member of the link is saying.

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Watch us on HippoTV on Twitch!

HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.

Last edited by Glistam on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Here is my first pass at a Cryokinesis power. I tried to keep the power level in line with the Palladium Fantasy "kinesis" series of powers rather than the Heroes Unlimited level.

Cryokinesis
Range: Varies
Duration: Varies
I.S.P.: Varies

Cryokinesis is a psychic ability which provides the character dominion over cold, snow, and ice.

1. Cold Resistance: The psychic can withstand extreme cold weather conditions. Temperatures as low as -50 °F can be endured with no ill effect. Colder temperatures, or magical cold, will do half damage. Range: Self. Duration: 10 minutes per level. I.S.P.: 5.

2. Freeze Water: The psychic can decrease the temperature of water, lowering it to the freezing point within one minute (four melee rounds). Up to one gallon can be affected; or more depending on I.S.P. spent. Once frozen the water will take the usual amount of time to warm. This power cannot be used to freeze the water or blood in a living creature. Range: 8 feet +2 feet per level of experience. Duration: One minute (4 melees). I.S.P.: 3 per gallon of water.

3. Sculpt Snow & Ice: The psychic's control over cold allows him to manipulate ice and snow in a variety of ways. Ice can be sculpted and molded by touch or from up to one inch away (so through clothing is fine). Snow can be manipulated into shapes from up to 20 feet away. 1 cubic foot of snow per level can be manipulated per action. This power can also be used to clear snow off of a path by moving it out of the way, cause snow to leap at someone to blind them (victim loses initiative and one attack per melee), and even allow the psychic to walk safely across an icy surface (no chance to fall). Range: Touch (for Ice) or 20 feet (for Snow). Duration: 1 minute per level. I.S.P.: 10.

Note: A character with the art skill gains a +20% bonus when using this power to make ice sculptures.

4. Create Ice: This amazing ability allows the creation of ice or snow by instantly condensing the water in the air. Up to 1 lb of ice can be created per level. If temperatures are above freezing this ice will not stay frozen for long and will melt quickly after one minute per level. The psychic can create this ice in three ways:

As one solid block anywhere within range. If the psychic has an art or appropriate crafting skill he can attempt to create this ice in a specific shape - otherwise it appears as just a solid basic shape. This block of ice has 10 S.D.C. per pound of weight. It can be created to drop down on an opponent - in such a case it does damage based on weight as per the Telekinesis power. The ice cannot be created to encapsulate an object or person.

A number of smaller blocks whose combined weight are no more than 1lb per level. A 1lb block of ice will do 1D4 damage as a thrown object. S.D.C. of the ice blocks is 10 per 1 lb. of weight.

A thin layer of ice can be created, coating the ground in a 5 foot radius, +1 foot per level. Anyone walking over the ice has a 50% chance to slip and fall. If running they have an 80% chance to slip and fall.

Range: 10 feet per level. Duration: 1 minute per level. Saving Throw: Dodge or Maintain Balance. I.S.P.: 15

5. Biting Cold: The psychic can drive temperature in a small area down to freezing (32 °F), and lower it by an additional 5 °F per level. The area affected is small: only a 6 foot + 1 foot per level diameter area. This intense, unnatural cold can be maintained for two minutes per level. Anyone in the area not protected against such cold conditions will take 1 point of damage per melee, or 1D6 points of damage per melee if clad in metal armor. The initial drop in temperature is jarring and unless a save vs psionics is made, any characters in the area of effect will be -2 on initiative, -2 to strike, parry, and dodge, and -10% on skill performance. These penalties persist for 2D4 minutes after leaving the area or the duration ends.

Note: The psychic can opt instead to just lower temperature in the area by up to 5°F per level but keep it above freezing. Those within the area will suffer no damage or penalties but will be uncomfortable.

Range: 30 feet, +2 per level. Duration: Two minutes per level. I.S.P.: 20.

6. Sense Temperature and Predict Storms: The air temperature around the psychic in a radius of 50 feet +5 feet per level can be keenly sensed with an accuracy of ±1D4 degrees. Winter storms can be predicted up to one hour per level ahead of time, and how long before an existing storm will end can also be predicted, both at a skill of 50% +5% per level. A failed roll means the psychic was off in his estimate by 1D4×10%. I.S.P.: 2 for every 2 minutes.

Last edited by Glistam on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

So Mental Transmission was accepted as-is, but Cryokinesis was nerfed a little by completely removing ability #5 and changing ability #6 so it only senses temperature. Here's two more I've put together. Dispel Psionics is based on the wording of the Negate Magic spell, as written in the older Palladium books. Waking Dream was a moment of inspiration I literally just had today.

Dispel Psionics
Range: 100 ft
Saving Throw: Special
I.S.P.: 30
Source: Transdimensional TMNT, page 46.

The negation or dispelling of another psionic's active psychic ability is difficult, but not impossible. To negate a psychic effect it must be detected; this can be done visually or through the use Detect Psionics.

Similar to striking and parrying in hand to hand combat, the psionic expends the I.S.P. and rolls a 20-sided die. The psychic whose affect is being targeted rolls a 20-sided die to defend, regardless of his current location. This is an automatic and reactive mental "parry" to defend and does not use an action. High roll wins; defender wins ties.

Master psychics add a +1 per level of experience to their roll. Major and Minor psionics only add +1 for every two levels of experience. No other bonuses apply. If the psychic negation attempt is successful then the psychic power immediately ends, cancelling its effect(s). Any secondary effects such as damage taken, items set on fire, etc... are not negated and will continue to exist. If the negation attempt is unsuccessful nothing happens, other than possibly pissing off a psychic opponent.

Note: This psychic ability to negate or dispel active psionic effects only works against other psychic abilities. It does not affect magic spells or magical effects, but it will affect psychic effects created by magical means (such as by certain rune weapons). Nothing stops a psychic who's power was negated from re-activating it next action, as long as they are still in range and can pay the I.S.P. cost again.

Waking Dream
Range: Self
Duration: 1 hour per level
Length of Trance: 1D4 minutes of preparatory meditation
I.S.P.: 10
Savings Throw: None
Source: New!

This powerful ability lets the psychic enter a special meditative trance state which allows him to engage in light activity while still receiving the I.S.P. recovery benefits of meditation! The psychic using this power can move around, perform light activity, and even talk and respond to others while this power is active. All his interactions and movements however are slow; while maintaining the power the psychic is -2 to Perception and Initiative rolls, and all physical bonuses are halved. The character seems to act as if in a trance, which is in many ways exactly what is happening. The psychic can end this power and snap back to normal in an instant, but it will require another 1D4 minutes of meditation before the power can be re-activated again.

No other psionic abilities can be activated or kept active while maintaining this power. The automatic activation of a Mind Block Auto-Defense will instantly end the power, as will activating any psychic ability. Other situations which will cause the power to cancel prematurely: taking more than 1 S.D.C. damage or any Hit Point damage, being knocked down or back, performing a strenuous activity (including participating in combat), having to make a saving throw versus psionics, becoming unconscious, or any other stressful situations (G.M.'s call).

Unlike with Meditation, this power provides no equivalence of sleep to the physical body or mind. The psychic will still need to sleep or meditate as normal.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Priest

Induce Hunger/Thirst(Healing)
Type: Healing
Range: Touch or 5 ft per level of experience
Duration: 15 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard
ISP Cost: 3
Effects: This power can be used to induce an acute craving for food or drink. The target will suddenly feel ravenously hungry or thirsty, and if either food or drink are immediately available, may commence to binge-eat/drink. This can be used to distract a person, making them bury their attention in filling their belly, or it can be used therapuetically to overcome symptoms of nausea or depression/anxiety-induced self-starvation.
If the person IS able to tuck into food or drink within the duration of this power, they will eat to satisfy themselves, perhaps hurriedly and messily, but not to the point of physical endangerment, like choking or gut-busting....though perhaps to the point of indigestion/bloated feeling(GM's prerogative: victims who stuff their faces/fill their tanks may be -1 to initiative, -1 to dodge, and -10% to Speed for 2d4x10 minutes----HALF this for beings with superhuman/supernatural metabolisms--- due to feeling lethargic and overstuffed).

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Last edited by taalismn on Sat May 14, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:08 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
Effects: This power can be used to induce an acute craving for food or drink. The target will suddenly feel ravenously hungry or thirsty, and if either food or drink are immediately available, may commence to binge-eat/drink. This can be used to distract a person, making them bury their attention in filling their belly, or it can be used therapuetically to overcome symptoms of nausea or depression/anxiety-induced self-starvation.

What happens once they eat their fill - are they no longer hungry? At 15 minutes per level for duration this could leave someone ravenously hungry for hours.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:29 am

Champion

Glistam wrote:
taalismn wrote:

What happens once they eat their fill - are they no longer hungry? At 15 minutes per level for duration this could leave someone ravenously hungry for hours.

Pop Goes The Weasel!!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:14 am

Monk

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Glistam wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Effects: This power can be used to induce an acute craving for food or drink. The target will suddenly feel ravenously hungry or thirsty, and if either food or drink are immediately available, may commence to binge-eat/drink. This can be used to distract a person, making them bury their attention in filling their belly, or it can be used therapeutically to overcome symptoms of nausea or depression/anxiety-induced self-starvation.

Pop Goes The Weasel!!

This looks like the effects very narrow focused 'Compulsion' spell. however, it does look to be much more intense in it's affects.
I would say that once they got food into themselves the cravings would lessen to a point that they are not over powering.
Maybe having the food cause a tryptophan induced nap/grogginess.

This looks more like a SuperPsionic then the minor psi power.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:44 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Glistam wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Effects: This power can be used to induce an acute craving for food or drink. The target will suddenly feel ravenously hungry or thirsty, and if either food or drink are immediately available, may commence to binge-eat/drink. This can be used to distract a person, making them bury their attention in filling their belly, or it can be used therapeutically to overcome symptoms of nausea or depression/anxiety-induced self-starvation.

Pop Goes The Weasel!!

This looks like the effects very narrow focused 'Compulsion' spell. however, it does look to be much more intense in it's affects.
I would say that once they got food into themselves the cravings would lessen to a point that they are not over powering.
Maybe having the food cause a tryptophan induced nap/grogginess.

This looks more like a SuperPsionic then the minor psi power.

I like the idea, I think modeling it after the Healing Psionic "Induce Sleep" would be fair. The person needs to be willing; if unwilling, they get a save (with a bonus). They finally feel hungry and will have the powerful urge to eat, but once they are full the power will have served its purpose and will end. The "duration" would be for how long they feel hungry for and need to search for food, rather than for how long they must eat.

The power as written though I agree with Drew, should be a super-psionic. Also, since it can lead to overeating and death (or vomiting, or w/e) it's worth calling out in the power I think. Isn't there a similar effect that one of the 4 Horseman produces on someone? Maybe model those penalties after the ability that Famine has.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:33 pm

Priest

Added some notes for eating/drinking to (over)satisfaction. As for the maximum amounts? That's up to the individual and species.....An Elf might eat comparatively little before feeling satisfied, whereas a Brodkil might decide that two large humanoids, eaten raw, are what the doctor ordered.
I figured I'd keep it low-cost(ISP-wise) because it's working with something that's already there...appetite. It's easier to incite/entice an appetite(just fry up some onions to see what I mean) than to tell somebody to go to sleep, and it's a lot more specific and natural than a general Hypnotic Suggestion would be.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Whoo boy. Both times I've tried to use Mental Transmission, the G.M. has made it bad. First time the conversation was eavesdropped on by another telepath, and the second time a very powerful mind we tried to connect to forced all members to roll vs insanity to avoid gaining an insanity. I'm beginning to think the power is not as usable in this game as I would've liked.

The G.M. and I discussed changes to the Waking Dream power, which is updated below, and I adapted one of my favorite Chaos Magic spells into a psionic which the G.M. also approved though it will likely only apply to boats in the fantasy setting. I look forward to the chance to use them both in the near future.

Waking Dream
Range: Self
Duration: 1 hour per level
Length of Trance: 1D4 minutes of preparatory meditation

This powerful ability lets the psychic enter a special meditative trance state which allows him to engage in light activity while still receiving the I.S.P. recovery benefits of meditation! The psychic using this power can move around, perform light activity, and even talk and respond to others while this power is active. All his interactions and movements however are slow; while maintaining the power the psychic is -6 to Perception and Initiative rolls, -30% to all skills, and all physical bonuses are halved. The character seems to act as if distracted, or in a trance, which is in many ways exactly what is happening. The psychic can end this power and snap back to normal in an instant, but it will require another 1D4 minutes of meditation before the power can be re-activated again.

No other psionic abilities can be activated or kept active while maintaining this power. The automatic activation of a Mind Block Auto-Defense or Sixth Sense will instantly end the power, as will activating any psychic ability. Other situations which will cause the power to cancel prematurely: taking more than 1 S.D.C. damage or any Hit Point damage, being knocked down or back, performing a strenuous activity (including participating in combat), having to make a saving throw versus psionics, becoming unconscious, or any other stressful situations (G.M.'s call).

Unlike with Meditation, this power provides no equivalence of sleep to the physical body or mind. The psychic will still need to sleep or meditate as normal.

Tailwind
Range: Touch
Duration: 5 minutes per level
I.S.P.: 12
Source: The spell "HotRod", from Chaos Earth Rise of Magic, Page 39

The psionic increases the maximum speed of any non-animal powered vehicle by 25% without the pilot losing control or suffering any speed or maneuvering penalties. The psionic also keeps the engine from overheating or any other mechanical problem happening as a result of the great speed. The psychic must be in or on the vehicle and touching it for the duration of the ability to maintain the impossible speed.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Priest

Tailwind....Is there an upper limit to the size of the vehicle that can be boosted? Say, can I make an aircraft carrier go 25% faster for 12 ISP?

I'd place an upper limit on the size/weight of the vehicle so boosted, or implement an incremental increase in ISP per weight....like 12 ISP for vehicles up to 5,000 lbs(which should cover most small cars and motorcycles), +1 ISP per every additional 500 lbs...or maybe 24 ISP for vehicles over 5,000 lbs to 9,000 lbs, 36 ISP for 9,000-13,000;bs,etc.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:52 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

I think the limit I would assign in that regard is that I would make larger vehicles take longer to be brought up to that speed. So you could increase an aircraft carrier's speed by 25%, but it might take several minutes to get up to that speed compared to a speedboat or an automobile. That's an interesting way to limit the power that I'll think about how to re-word.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:41 pm

Priest

Glistam wrote:
I think the limit I would assign in that regard is that I would make larger vehicles take longer to be brought up to that speed. So you could increase an aircraft carrier's speed by 25%, but it might take several minutes to get up to that speed compared to a speedboat or an automobile. That's an interesting way to limit the power that I'll think about how to re-word.

15 seconds for every 50 tons of mass? That means you'd have to plan ahead for something massing on the order of several thousand tons. Admittedly, it's a big lead time for a short period of maximum efficiency, but I figure it's more realistic that you could get a main battle tank up to 25% overdrive within 30 seconds, and a starship of several thousand tons taking the better part of a half-hour.

IMHO, I'd have tried to limit the power to craft that could realistically be piloted(with regards to power and navigation) to a single crewmember, or my aforementioned weight/mass limitation. Though admittedly the idea of a single person meditating in the engineering section of a battlemoon, speeding it across the galaxy, burning ISP in increments of 15 points of so, seems strangely fun.

Now imagine combining it with the spell Full Throttle or even my own Major superpower Bio Overdrive. :twisted:

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:01 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
Glistam wrote:

15 seconds for every 50 tons of mass? That means you'd have to plan ahead for something massing on the order of several thousand tons. Admittedly, it's a big lead time for a short period of maximum efficiency, but I figure it's more realistic that you could get a main battle tank up to 25% overdrive within 30 seconds, and a starship of several thousand tons taking the better part of a half-hour.

IMHO, I'd have tried to limit the power to craft that could realistically be piloted(with regards to power and navigation) to a single crewmember, or my aforementioned weight/mass limitation. Though admittedly the idea of a single person meditating in the engineering section of a battlemoon, speeding it across the galaxy, burning ISP in increments of 15 points of so, seems strangely fun.

Now imagine combining it with the spell Full Throttle or even my own Major superpower Bio Overdrive. :twisted:

I wouldn't let them combine, I would take the highest of the two or three percentages. But your image of a character meditating in the engineering section of a space vessel, speeding it across the galaxy, is a fun image and I was disappointed that I never got to realize it with my Temporal Wizard, who knew the Chaos Spell this psionic was based off of for precisely that reason.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:39 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: This space for rent.
Here's an idea I recently had, though it needs some more tweeking:

Ectoplasm Super
Just as there are two versions of Telekinesis, this is Super Psionic version of the physical power Ectoplasm. Unlike the minor power which can create either a vapor or solid, this creates only a solid. However, it is much more capable than the minor version.

Range: 40 feet, plus 10 per level of experience
Duration: 10 minutes per level
ISP: 30

Differences from the minor version:
- The Ectoplasm is a mega-damage construct and can withstand 40+5/lvl MDC + before being destroyed.
- Basic weapons and tools can be formed by the ectoplasm, such as knives, swords, pickaxes, shovels, etc. Damage is either 1D8 MD or 2D8 MD, depending on size.
- Skilled users (third level or higher) can encase their bodies in ectoplasm creating a suit of armor. The suit has 40+5/lvl MDC and increases the wearer's PS from normal to augmented levels (no effect if the user is already augmented or higher). While the face and head can be completely covered, the user must leave holes or gaps for the eyes, nose, ears, and mouth or suffer appropriately.
- As an appendage, the limb has a PS of 20. "Punches" inflict SDC.
- Not affected by bright sunlight.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:
Here's an idea I recently had, though it needs some more tweeking:

Ectoplasm Super
Just as there are two versions of Telekinesis, this is Super Psionic version of the physical power Ectoplasm. Unlike the minor power which can create either a vapor or solid, this creates only a solid. However, it is much more capable than the minor version.

Range: 40 feet, plus 10 per level of experience
Duration: 10 minutes per level
ISP: 30

Differences from the minor version:
- The Ectoplasm is a mega-damage construct and can withstand 40+5/lvl MDC + before being destroyed.
- Basic weapons and tools can be formed by the ectoplasm, such as knives, swords, pickaxes, shovels, etc. Damage is either 1D8 MD or 2D8 MD, depending on size.
- Skilled users (third level or higher) can encase their bodies in ectoplasm creating a suit of armor. The suit has 40+5/lvl MDC and increases the wearer's PS from normal to augmented levels (no effect if the user is already augmented or higher). While the face and head can be completely covered, the user must leave holes or gaps for the eyes, nose, ears, and mouth or suffer appropriately.
- As an appendage, the limb has a PS of 20. "Punches" inflict SDC.
- Not affected by bright sunlight.

Compared to Psychic Body Field, it seems a little "too good." I would consider some of the following changes (not necessarily all of them):
  • Increase the I.S.P. cost to 45
  • Note it still takes a full melee to produce the ectoplasm
  • The character takes damage from the ectoplasm's destruction
  • Bright sunlight still reduces M.D.C., damage, strength, etc by half.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:59 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: This space for rent.
Good point about comparing it to Psychic Body Field. Instead of upping the ISP, perhaps I'll reduce the MDC down to only 10+5/lvl.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Leveling up again, time to create some new psychic powers! Here's two I'm playing with submitting:

Share Psychic Power
Duration: As per the psychic power transferred
Savings Throw: Automatic if unwilling
Type: Super (or Epic, level 15+)

With this power the psychic can activate one of his or her own powers (including those with a range of Self) and transfer it temporarily to another person, giving them the full use and control of that power for the duration. To do this the psychic must first pay 12 I.S.P. to begin the transfer, then pay the full cost to activate the psychic ability to be imparted. The person will then receive the activated psionic power and can use it per normal for the full duration of the power, including benefiting from any of its bonuses.

While the power is being used by another the psychic cannot further call on it. When the duration of the power ends the psychic will intuitively know and will be able to access the ability at will again. A person must be willing to accept a power in order to receive it. If they resist then they automatically save, and the I.S.P. is spent for naught. The psychic cannot cancel this power early to "get the power back," but the person to whom the power was transferred can end the power early with a thought.

Empower Weapon
Duration: 12 hours per level
Length of Trance 1 hour
I.S.P.: 12
Savings Throw: Standard
Type: Super (or Epic, level 15+)
Source: Nightbane, pages 133-134 (based on Charm Weapon)

This psychic power temporarily imparts an essence of psychic energy to a weapon (not unlike the energy which composes a psi-sword), to make it more effective against supernatural or magical beings. The weapon will inflict double damage to any supernatural or magical creature, or normal damage to such beings that could not normally be harmed by the enhanced weapon (like vampires or entities). For example, a sword that normally inflicts 1D8 damage will do 2D8 against supernatural beings, and 1D8 against creatures like vampires or werebeasts!

This ability will affect both hand to hand and missile weapons; if a missile weapon is thus empowered, any missiles (bullets or arrows, for example) it fires will be automatically empowered. Missile weapon ammunition, however, counts as a melee weapon for the purposes of the save and one such item can be empowered per level, per use of the power. Note that this only includes missile weapon ammunition (such as arrows, sling bullets, crossbow bolts, etcetera) and not thrown weapons such as daggers, knives, spears, and similar.

Saving Throw: The weapon to be empowered must fail a saving throw versus psionics in order to receive this benefit. If it is a missile weapon then the weapon receives a +1 bonus to its save, and if it is a magical weapon then it gets a +3 bonus. Ranged weapon ammunition receives one save for the entire batch. Intelligent weapons must always still roll to save, and they also add all their normal applicable bonuses to save versus psionics. This power cannot be used on siege weapons.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Monk

Glistam wrote:
Leveling up again, time to create some new psychic powers! Here's two I'm playing with submitting:

Share Psychic Power
….snip

I would limit this to gods.

Glistam wrote:
Empower Weapon
….snip

Except in the BTS setting, I would limit this to Melee Weapons.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:02 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Glistam wrote:

Share Psychic Power
….snip

I would limit this to gods.

Glistam wrote:
Empower Weapon
….snip

Except in the BTS setting, I would limit this to Melee Weapons.

Cool, no problems is a good start!