Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:11 am

Knight

Say if a spell takes 2+ actions to cast, the 15 seconds you need to create a psi-sword, the minutes of meditation needed to heal or exorcise...

What sort of rules exist for interrupting people? Are they all-or-nothing or is there a middle ground where you can roll dice to see if you keep your focus or not? Is difficulty variable upon how much damage you take?

I can't remember if I saw something like this in a Palladium book anymore. I'm sure GMs could apply personal judgment but having impartial rules for it would be nice.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 am

Supreme Being

Comment: This space for rent.
It's left to the GM.

Many years ago we had a raging discussion that centered on a high level mage battling little Timmy with a rock.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:39 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
Pages 189-190 of Rifts Ultimate Edition talk about it. Pages 53-54 present rules for this more clearly.

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Watch us on HippoTV on Twitch!

HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Demon Lord Extraordinaire

Comment: Where's the money?
Axelmania wrote:
Say if a spell takes 2+ actions to cast, the 15 seconds you need to create a psi-sword, the minutes of meditation needed to heal or exorcise...

What sort of rules exist for interrupting people? Are they all-or-nothing or is there a middle ground where you can roll dice to see if you keep your focus or not? Is difficulty variable upon how much damage you take?

I can't remember if I saw something like this in a Palladium book anymore. I'm sure GMs could apply personal judgment but having impartial rules for it would be nice.

If you're in the PFRPG setting then according to the MoM1 book mages from that setting are trained enough to the point that they can take eight points of damage and not lose their focus on the spell.

Now personally what I would do is take that rule, combine it with the Principles of Magic skill in TtGD, and give it as an OCC skill to all mages. Then if the mage is struck for more than eight points of damage I'd have them roll the skill to see if they maintain focus or not. I'd also have penalties applied depending on the amount of damage received. A mage struck for 10 points would just make a straight skill check, but one struck for 50 points would likely have a pretty sever penalty.

As for the rest, it's kind of like what Mack said.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Monk

Mack wrote:
It's left to the GM.

Many years ago we had a raging discussion that centered on a high level mage battling little Timmy with a rock.

*nods* It is up to each GM to decide if they wish to implement casting time rules.
Thou, in my on-line gaming most of the GM's I've played with don't.

I think the PPE Channeling rules in one rifters ( R20 +/-2 ) had text like that situation explaining why the rules were written.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:03 am

Knight

8 is a pretty strange starting point. I'd think even 0 damage would be distracting. Someone could flick me 100 x and not kill me but I would have trouble focusing.

Maybe always make a roll, but -1 to the roll per damage taken?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:40 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
I guess if you don't want to use the existing rules then you can do whatever you'd like in that regard. Your idea seems fine.

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Watch us on HippoTV on Twitch!

HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Knight

I would say 8 SDC or any amount of HP damage before a check is made (with a penalty equaling damage taken minus 8 for SDC, or equaling the HP damage taken).

And Horrors Unknown

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Hero

Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.
What are you doing walking around without Armor of Ithan up anyway? Are you trying to get killed?

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Knight

Perhaps conserve PPE?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
Mysteries of Magic says that 8 SDC is the cannonical threshold for intterupting a spellcasters concentration. It doesn't say if this holds for psychics using powers with a medidation requirement but it wouldn't be a streach to apply it there too. It means little timmy throwing a rock (1d4 SDC) would need a natural 20 and maximum damage to successfully interupt an archmage casting.

Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:22 am

Adventurer

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mysteries of Magic says that 8 SDC is the cannonical threshold for intterupting a spellcasters concentration. It doesn't say if this holds for psychics using powers with a medidation requirement but it wouldn't be a streach to apply it there too. It means little timmy throwing a rock (1d4 SDC) would need a natural 20 and maximum damage to successfully interupt an archmage casting.

So in other words, little Timmy should throw two handfuls of rocks for a burst doing 6d4 damage. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 am

Knight

8 damage was enough to kill a lot of spellcasters in the old days, seems a lot. I'm pretty sure if I was singing a song and someone hit me for 1 damage I'd lose concentration on it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Champion

Greetings and Salutations. Actually, MoM states 8 damage as how much the caster can take. You have to do more than 8 (9 or higher) to interrupt the spell caster. That means he can take a dagger to the gut or a slash with a short sword across the chest and not lose the slightest bit of concentration (unless a critical is rolled, and even then he has a better than average chance). The number always seemed odd (and high) to me, personally. Just wanted to clarify that 8 damage won't interrupt the caster (and put some weapons into the equation for a better concept of how much that is). Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Knight

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. Actually, MoM states 8 damage as how much the caster can take. You have to do more than 8 (9 or higher) to interrupt the spell caster. That means he can take a dagger to the gut or a slash with a short sword across the chest and not lose the slightest bit of concentration (unless a critical is rolled, and even then he has a better than average chance). The number always seemed odd (and high) to me, personally. Just wanted to clarify that 8 damage won't interrupt the caster (and put some weapons into the equation for a better concept of how much that is). Farewell and safe journeys for now.

A dagger is still quite capable of interrupting a spellcaster, so long as it's used by someone with a high strength (or someone that has had Supernatural Strength cast on them).

And Horrors Unknown