Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Dungeon Crawler

What happens to the contents of these, if the casting mage dies?

Does there suddenly appear a bunch of crap in the middle of the road as contents are disgorged, or are the contents lost to a random dimension, & may or may not be seen again?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:41 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
By their nature, I would say the semi-permanent ones (the ones designed to last months or years) would remain for their duration, while the ones that were "quick-cast" for their regular duration would end. It's simplest to say the items contained within simply fall into the world but I also like the idea that such items would be lost to the Void forever, or set adrift within the Astral Plane. There's no solid rules one way or the other here so it'd be a decision your G.M. needs to make.

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Image Image
HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:17 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
IMO, unless a spell specifies that it ends with the caster's death, it continues until its duration is up. So, if you die, and no one else can access your dimensional envelope, then it will stick around until its duration ends, then disgorge its contents.

http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Rifts Articles
General Palladium Articles

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Champion

Greetings and Salutations. I'd say it can last full duration (unless there's something in the text to say otherwise). At that point, the contents would be expelled back into the normal dimension (at the point of creation, unless fixed to a specific place or object). If the contents were simply lost, the Elves and Dwarves would've had a much easier time disposing of the indestructible rune weapons. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Monk

Myrrhibis wrote:
What happens to the contents of these, if the casting mage dies?

Does there suddenly appear a bunch of crap in the middle of the road as contents are disgorged, or are the contents lost to a random dimension, & may or may not be seen again?

I would have them ( both short and long durations) last till their durations will end them.

The text does not say, but I would have all the contents just be dumped out of the magic where the item they are attached to is located. Even with this GMs have an option to be mean if they choose to be creative.

As a GM option, the GM might choose to use the table within the Mirror magic spells (NB:TtGD) that determines if/when/how something comes out of the mirror if the mirror is destroyed before the end of the duration.(might be misremembering the details due to headache)

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. I'd say it can last full duration (unless there's something in the text to say otherwise). At that point, the contents would be expelled back into the normal dimension (at the point of creation, unless fixed to a specific place or object). If the contents were simply lost, the Elves and Dwarves would've had a much easier time disposing of the indestructible rune weapons. Farewell and safe journeys.

^this^ For the reasons stated.
There are a tiny handful of spells that state that killing the caster ends them. That sort of suggests that killing the caster is not a normal way of ending a spell.
And anything that has the ability to utterly kill or destroy anything at all with way to protect from it tends to get that ability mentioned and not just sort of 'implied'.

It's RIFTS Earth; the impossible happens before breakfast, twice on Tuesdays. And if it hasn't, then the GM hasn't tried hard enough and the players are lazy. :D -DhAkael

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Champion

If a caster is still alive and the spell expires or they voluntarily end it, are we told what happens?

I figure the stuff can't simply cease to exist or it'd be a real handy way to destroy rune weapons, and we'd see a mention of that.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
Mark Hall wrote:
IMO, unless a spell specifies that it ends with the caster's death, it continues until its duration is up. So, if you die, and no one else can access your dimensional envelope, then it will stick around until its duration ends, then disgorge its contents.

Other way around, Isn't there a rule in RMB that says death of the caster instantly ends the spell unless the spell says otherwise?

Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Monk

Axelmania wrote:
If a caster is still alive and the spell expires or they voluntarily end it, are we told what happens?

I figure the stuff can't simply cease to exist or it'd be a real handy way to destroy rune weapons, and we'd see a mention of that.

The D-pocket spell is one of those spells that is an enchantment, not an active spell under control of the mage. As such the casting mage does not have the ability to cancel the spell.

Part one of the question, same answer as if the spell ends if the caster has died. Or a possible outcome from interacting with a Anti-Magic Cloud.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Other way around, Isn't there a rule in RMB that says death of the caster instantly ends the spell unless the spell says otherwise?

Not that I am aware of.
This would be rather significant since it would make things like curses much easier to break for example. It would also run into issues with the idea of spells left to go off after the caster dies.

It's RIFTS Earth; the impossible happens before breakfast, twice on Tuesdays. And if it hasn't, then the GM hasn't tried hard enough and the players are lazy. :D -DhAkael

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:56 am

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Not that I know of, no. It's not mentioned under either Durations nor "Cancelling Magic", though the second specifically notes that a caster can end a spell whenever they want, or purposefully create it for less than the maximum time.

Rifts Articles

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: This space for rent.
I kinda like the idea of somebody walking down the street and suddenly all of this stuff starts landing around him as a dimensional pocket expires and vomits it's contents.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 am

Mack wrote:
I kinda like the idea of somebody walking down the street and suddenly all of this stuff starts landing around him as a dimensional pocket expires and vomits it's contents.

"How did your character GET his equipment?"
"Well, I was walking down the street, and a Dimensional Pocket just popped open, landing some temporal wizard's hidden go-bag cache in my lap."

Rifts Articles

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Dungeon Crawler

That could make for some interesting adventures. Especially if some of those items belonged to other people who now want them back.