Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Post subject: Re: Invented Spells
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:16 am

Priest

I guess that means I'll have to go ahead with Create Fetish Gear as a combination of Alter Clothing and Forcebonds. :P
"I ever find out who turned my Ralph Lauren gown into a leather bustier, thong, gag, blindfold, and bondage mittens while I was on the red carpet, this town's going to run red with BLOOD."

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Monk

you need to sneak in a 'safe word' subclause into the spell text.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
you need to sneak in a 'safe word' subclause into the spell text.

"#MPHF!#"
"No...that's not it either. Or....damnit...rather useless with the gag in there. You didn't make this a spell of permanence or soul-bind it when you wrote it, did you? Because I remember when you alpha-tested your 'lycanthropy' spell on me with all the bells and whistles...If not for the suppressant drugs, I'd be joining the annual wildebeast migration every rainy season-"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:35 pm

Monk

Aura of Royalty
"which one of them is The King?"

Level: 7
Range: one other by touch
Effects Range: 500 feet per level
Duration: 2 hours
Saving Throw: -4 to the standard roll.
PPE: 102

Makes everyone within the effect range that fail their save vs magic believe the target of the spell is a monarch. The caster of the spell is immune to the magic.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Priest

Shape Smoke(Invocation)
“Smoke rings? Getta load of THIS-”
Level: 1
Type: Invocation
Range: 10 ft per level of experience. A 10 cubic foot area can be affected per level of experience.
Duration: 1d4 melees
Saving Throw: None
PPE Cost: 1
Effects:
The caster can manipulate smoke and steam to sculpt it into any desired shape, from a mushroom cloud to a snarling face. This can be used to entertain or to distract, and is often amongst the most basic spells taught new mages.

Personal Space Expansion(Invocation/Ritual)
(aka Magic Rumble Seat)
“Nobody’s sleeping on the floor tonight; we’re ALL getting the bed.”
Level: 6
Type: Invocation/Ritual
Range: Touch
Duration: 30 minutes per level of experience for the invocation, 6 hours per level of experience for the ritual
PPE Cost: 20, 60 as a ritual
Effects:
This creates a form of dimensional pocket around a piece of furniture such as a chair or bed, and including vehicle seats and power armor, but NOT personal armor) that allows a single accommodation to comfortably fit an additional person, + one additional person at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15. The people in the area of affect will be aware of their surroundings(it’s not like they’re being shunted into another universe), it’s just that the seat or bunk will appear to be able to fit them all comfortably for the duration of the spell. The spell can be cast as an invocation by touch, or, with fifteen minutes’ preparation, as a ritual for longer duration. Capacity is limited by what the seat/bed can normally fit(i.e., a Jotan is not going to be able to fit on a chair sized for a Dwarf).
Note that if applied to a vehicle, the additional people will still add mass and consume life support, so recalculate both accordingly. Also, if cast on a cockpit or work station,only one person will be able to work the controls; the other people are just bystanders/passengers. This spell also cannot be used to expand cargo space, only space for additional people(and what they may be wearing/carrying on them).

GM Option: Ludicrous Mages can cast this spell for only 16 PPE/54 PPE, and reportedly have two variants of the spell, Clown Car/House, and Mutual Suit(the latter spell applies to a set of clothes, allowing several people to simultaneously wear the same clothing).

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:30 pm

Monk

taalismn wrote:
Shape Smoke(Invocation)
….snip

Saw this on the Sci-Fi channel's "The Magicians"

taalismn wrote:
Personal Space Expansion(Invocation/Ritual)
(aka Magic Rumble Seat)
“Nobody’s sleeping on the floor tonight; we’re ALL getting the bed.”
…snip

You could rename this spell "Clown Car" as a Lud. magic spell.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:17 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
taalismn wrote:
Shape Smoke(Invocation)
Range: 10 ft per level of experience. A 10 cubic foot area can be affected per level of experience.
Effects:
The caster can manipulate smoke and steam to sculpt it into any desired shape, from a mushroom cloud to a snarling face. This can be used to entertain or to distract, and is often amongst the most basic spells taught new mages.

This would make a cool Fire Warlock spell, too.

Image Image
HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Champion

taalismn wrote:
Shape Smoke(Invocation)
Effects:

If the mage first casts Cloud of Smoke and then casts Shape Smoke does the spell affect the whole cloud or can it be used to only manipulate parts of it? As in cause smoke images to appear and move around inside the larger smoke cloud?

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Monk

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Shape Smoke(Invocation)
Effects:

If the mage first casts Cloud of Smoke and then casts Shape Smoke does the spell affect the whole cloud or can it be used to only manipulate parts of it? As in cause smoke images to appear and move around inside the larger smoke cloud?

Since in my PoV the player already can shape the effect area of the CoS spell, the Shape Smoke spell would be for controlling natural smoke and other's CoS spells.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Shape Smoke(Invocation)
Effects:

Since in my PoV the player already can shape the effect area of the CoS spell, the Shape Smoke spell would be for controlling natural smoke and other's CoS spells.

I'd say Shape Smoke WOULD shape one's own CoM, but with greater detail than they would with just CoS.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Explorer

Globe of Daylight, Extended
Level: One Three
Range: Near self or up to 30 feet (9.1 m) away.
Duration: 3 minutes days per level of experience.
Saving Throw: None.
P.P.E.: Two Eight
A small globe or sphere of true daylight is magically created. The light is bright enough to light up a 12 foot (3.6 m) area per each level of its creator's experience. Because it is daylight, it can ward off vampires and most other types of undead and demons who fear or are hurt by sunlight, keeping them at bay just beyond the edge of light. The creator of the globe can mentally move it along with himself, or send it up to thirty feet (9.1 m) ahead. The maximum speed at which the globe can travel is equal to a speed attribute of 12.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Priest

Mlp7029 wrote:
A small globe or sphere of true daylight is magically created. The light is bright enough to light up a 12 foot (3.6 m) area per each level of its creator's experience. Because it is daylight, it can ward off vampires and most other types of undead and demons who fear or are hurt by sunlight, keeping them at bay just beyond the edge of light. The creator of the globe can mentally move it along with himself, or send it up to thirty feet (9.1 m) ahead. The maximum speed at which the globe can travel is equal to a speed attribute of 12.

You really have to work on removing the 'scaffolding' of the original spell you copy-pasta'ed/used here for your own self-reference, and in any case, I'd consider DAYS of duration to be too much of a stretch for 8 PPE(hours at best). As much as I like parallel developments of the same concepts(it's a big megaverse, after all), this doesn't really have enough new ideas/additions to make it much of an extension on the original.
First time tentative toe-in-the-water in magic spell development? Might want to think of extra ways to give Globe of Daylight some extra umph/jazz to really make it an 'Extended' version.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Aura of Royalty
"which one of them is The King?"

Makes everyone within the effect range that fail their save vs magic believe the target of the spell is a monarch. The caster of the spell is immune to the magic.

Rather expensive for an illusion spell, which is what I'd consider this. Then again, with the duration, that might work(I'd up it, though, to two hours per level of experience).
I'd also be more circumspect with the description of 'Royalty' and 'Monarch'...this might not have the desired effect if, for instance, everybody around was part of a matriarchy or were devout communists.
I'd try to rework what the person is perceived as with an eye towards a more generalized idea of bigwig-edness, or authority. Like take aspects of the HU power 'Divine Aura' to make the person this spell is cast on radiate the opposite of an Aura of Doom...the character just exudes charisma, confidence, and authority even when trying to lay low, his clothing looks somehow of a higher quality and cut, even when it's rags, and the person sounds educated and erudite, even if belching. Good case scenario? People are more inclined to listen to the person, give them the benefit f the doubt, let them go to the head of the line, and be more polite and deferential to the person. Bad case scenario is if everybody turns to the person in a crisis situation, expecting leadership, and the person is a yutz, or, if the crowd is ant-authoritarian, they lynch him("KILL THE TSAR!!!").

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:33 am

Monk

It is more like the charm & dominate spells then a illusion spell.
I know it is a bare bones spell text. but what was written was the idea I had in total. Didn't think about any side effects cause was dead tired when I wrote it.

The reason I put the PPE cost so high is the range of the spell/ which does not have a LoS limit in it.

Now note, that the spell does not say that those effected think that the target of the spell think that he/she is 'their' monarch…just 'a' monarch.

Yep, an Aura of Authority spell would look ver similar. …..so similar that I might as well post it out.

Aura of Authority
"Boss, Boss!"

Makes everyone within the effect range that fail their save vs magic believe the target of the spell is the person 'In Charge'. Those effected will follow the instructions of the individual as if they believe that person has the authority to be 'in command'. The caster of the spell is immune to the magic.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:51 am

Priest

Okay, that works better.

As is, if the people around the target had no concept of what a 'monarch' is, it would fall flat. An authority or even a celebrity? THat works better.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:54 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
Mlp7029 wrote:

There is already an existing "upgrade" to the Globe of Daylight spell- it is an Air Warlock spell in Mysteries of Magic called "Globe of True Sunlight." That would be another good spell to review when considering what this upgrade to Globe of Daylight should be.

Image Image
HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Monk

taalismn wrote:
Okay, that works better.

As is, if the people around the target had no concept of what a 'monarch' is, it would fall flat. An authority or even a celebrity? THat works better.

For those people with no concept of a monarch it would just turn out that <this person is very important>. *shrugs* it is not like the spell is making the effected think the person has authority over them.

After thinking about it a while I would think the AoR would be more for the PF setting, while AoA would be more for other settings.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Okay, that works better.

For those people with no concept of a monarch it would just turn out that <this person is very important>. *shrugs* it is not like the spell is making the effected think the person has authority over them.

After thinking about it a while I would think the AoR would be more for the PF setting, while AoA would be more for other settings.

That spell is a bit of a double edged sword is it not? Some people just want to kill those in power, or kidnap them for ransom, etc.

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Monk

13eowulf wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Okay, that works better.

That spell is a bit of a double edged sword is it not? Some people just want to kill those in power, or kidnap them for ransom, etc.

[the AoR spell] :twisted: yup

Got a "Sodium Block" spell here that changes salt into it components to make the sodium block. Which has different sort of 'user be ware'.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Priest

13eowulf wrote:
[

Even anarchists have leaders. Though, admittedly, if you already know who your leadership is, and you're utterly totally devoted to them, I imagine you'd be less likely to be swayed by this spell, especially if your leader was in the immediate vicinity. On the other hand, if your leader was also affected, you might decide the person HE was looking up to was worthy of your attention, and thus transfer of loyalties.
Or, if you were a TOTAL wackjob, you might decide your leader just betrayed you all.
That's provided you didn't just save versus magic in the first place.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:04 am

Monk

taalismn wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
[

Even anarchists have leaders. Though, admittedly, if you already know who your leadership is, and you're utterly totally devoted to them, I imagine you'd be less likely to be swayed by this spell, especially if your leader was in the immediate vicinity. On the other hand, if your leader was also affected, you might decide the person HE was looking up to was worthy of your attention, and thus transfer of loyalties.
Or, if you were a TOTAL wackjob, you might decide your leader just betrayed you all.
That's provided you didn't just save versus magic in the first place.

The Aura of Royalty spell Only make the target of the spell look to be a monarch to the effected. What it does not do is make the effected think that the target is Their monarch.
Which is what 13 was commenting on.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
[The Aura of Royalty spell Only make the target of the spell look to be a monarch to the effected. What it does not do is make the effected think that the target is Their monarch.

Still getting the Monty Python vibe where the peasants find out it's King Arthur...and are duly unimpressed because they've formed a socialist collective. :P

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Monk

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
[The Aura of Royalty spell Only make the target of the spell look to be a monarch to the effected. What it does not do is make the effected think that the target is Their monarch.

Still getting the Monty Python vibe where the peasants find out it's King Arthur...and are duly unimpressed because they've formed a socialist collective. :P

*chuckles* :wink:

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:
[

*chuckles* :wink:

"Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! ---HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed"!

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------