Backward Time Travel barriers broken in Megaverse in Flames!

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Backward Time Travel barriers broken in Megaverse in Flames!

Unread post by Tor »

In thumbing through the free sneak preview of Megaverse in Flames which Palladium distributed, noticed something interesting on page 16:

"A small number of demons and Deevils were plunged into Earth's past, when magic was weak and the ancestors of humans were just beginning to climb down out of the jungle"

Would love to see this idea expanded on in a future sourcebook. I take this to mean humans hadn't evolved yet, so this would be hundreds of thousands of years ago, during the time of perhaps Neanderthal, Ogre, and various hominids statted out in Transdimensional TMNT.

As slow as they level, any demons around then would be pretty experienced by now, and if they survived (keeping in mind there were things like True Atlanteans, the Dreamer Immortals and Chaing-Ku around to hunt them and protect humans) would have prepared the way for their brothers...

Perhaps they even influenced the human strife that generated the Cataclysm to begin with?

Creates sort of a causality paradox since it was that very thing which attracted them to the planet and sent them spiralling into the past...

Glad to see it's back. The idea and problems of reverse time travel seemed to be mostly buried, pretending TTMNT did not exist, and only subtle reference made in Vampire Kingdoms and Between the Shadows.

Even if only normal lesser/greater demon/devil went back in time, over millenia growing alongside humanity, perhaps some of them were elevated to Lords. Perhaps this is even where the 'demon Lords' in Pantheons of the Megaverse originated from, and what attracted the gods to earth.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Backward Time Travel barriers broken in Megaverse in Fla

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Tor wrote:The idea and problems of reverse time travel seemed to be mostly buried, pretending TTMNT did not exist

How so exactly?
Did the demon's equipment not degrade or something?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

No I'm referring to the Rifts England "forward only" stuff.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:No I'm referring to the Rifts England "forward only" stuff.

There have been a lot of backwards time travel in the various books. The only thing that is still 'forwards only' is player controllable spells. Time Travel rifts have always been able to move backwards (Balagor Wasteland, Dinosaur swamp, Underseas, Fleets of the Three Galaxies are all examples off the top of my head.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Tor wrote:No I'm referring to the Rifts England "forward only" stuff.

I always saw that as a limitation of Rifts Temporal magic, not of time-travel overall or anything.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I always put it,ther in the past of a Parallel reality,that why they can changed thing but still exist.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

According to the Shifter rules in the RMB (I don't know if there is still in the shifter text in RUE) that in "time travel into the past" if the group stays more then a short amount of time, not interfering with anything, then they will create a alternative dimension separate from the one they came from. So if the demons do not die they are trapped in that alt dimension that does not have any 'people'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:According to the Shifter rules in the RMB (I don't know if there is still in the shifter text in RUE) that in "time travel into the past" if the group stays more then a short amount of time, not interfering with anything, then they will create a alternative dimension separate from the one they came from. So if the demons do not die they are trapped in that alt dimension that does not have any 'people'.

It would have people...it just would end up being a different 'future' (alternate or parallel) to the one they came from.
...And I can not find anything in the RMB about time travel, can you provide a page number?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I'm wondering if this non-RUE shifter text might be from that dimension book (Dimension Builder?) which expanded the shifter OCC.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Tor wrote:I'm wondering if this non-RUE shifter text might be from that dimension book (Dimension Builder?) which expanded the shifter OCC.

Or it could've been in Dark Conversions, that book also "updated" the Shifter.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tor wrote:I'm wondering if this non-RUE shifter text might be from that dimension book (Dimension Builder?) which expanded the shifter OCC.

One or the other. there is also a similar line somewhere in one of the phase world books about random rifts.

Going back in time is possible, but any significant changes simply result in you creating an alternate, parrellel universe where your actions in the past have no effect on the future you come from.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

One or the other. there is also a similar line somewhere in one of the phase world books about random rifts.

Going back in time is possible, but any significant changes simply result in you creating an alternate, parrellel universe where your actions in the past have no effect on the future you come from.

Except of course when it doesn't :? (I'm looking at you Golgan Republik and your Tachyonic Antitelephone :?)

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

eliakon wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Except of course when it doesn't :? (I'm looking at you Golgan Republik and your Tachyonic Antitelephone :?)

How do you know it dosn't split off thousands of alternate realities every time? ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Since there's no casting limit on that Temporal ID-summoning spell, you gotta get all those alternate selves from somewhere.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'll be impressed when they breach the Third Dimensional Barrier.

BUZZ OFF.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Dat's Millenial Barrier.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Tor wrote:Dat's Millenial Barrier.

Bah. You only THINK it's Millenial Barrier because they've already gotten to you! :D
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I suppose we could view that Kirby-Stone as being a 3d barrier which prevents the dimension of 2d cartoons from conquering us.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”