Chaos Earth References (PDF) posted at jasonrichards.net

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Chaos Earth References (PDF) posted at jasonrichards.net

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Just go to http://www.jasonrichards.net and check the nav bar under "Downloads." I'll be happy to answer questions about it here, plus take any suggestions for additional information.

If nothing else, let me know what you think. I'm still gauging what sort of material y'all will use from the website, so your feedback helps.

:ok:

Peace,

Jason
Last edited by Jason Richards on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Chaos Earth References posted at jasonrichards.net

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Good stuff. The tech breakdown from Rifts is useful. I will be rereading Underseas and see if I pluck some CE ideas out of there. My only suggestion is showing how you would convert / modify the Systems Failure OCCs to reflect their existence pre-catacylsm.

One of the problems I see with CE setting is that the books do not give us an informed look at life in the Golden Age. In Systems Failure and Dead Reign, we know what we lost because its the here and now. In Mechanoids Invasion, we envision losing Standard SciFi Life from so many films and TV shows. However, not so with the Golden Age. What was daily life for people like in 2098? Why was it both a utopia and a time when you needed giant robots with MDC weapons? Why would an enlightened future society need NEMA running around with weapons that could blow up buildings inside the US?

BTW, any word on when First Responders is coming?
Jason Richards

I'll have the FR manuscript in to Kevin by Gen Con. It will have a little more insight on the daily life of the average person in the Golden Age.

I'm going to wait to get into exactly how to convert the SF O.C.C.s, because that goes a little beyond what I should probably do on my personal website. I have some plans for them, though, either as canon material or as a Rifter article after FR is published.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shotgun Jolly »

Spinachcat wrote:Good stuff. The tech breakdown from Rifts is useful. I will be rereading Underseas and see if I pluck some CE ideas out of there.

One of the first things that came to mind is having an adventure based on one of those super carriers.

I cant recall right now, how many of them were made, but you could always have a second one that was tied up in port when the end came..

Gosh, ...I need to start jotting this down in my book.
©-JC Locke retains ownership and rights of all original artwork and information posted
by the ShotGun Jolly account.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Looks very nice Jason! Thank you for sharing this with us. The preliminary look at it shows a lot of promise. Looking forward to seeing more Jason!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Jason Richards

Shotgun Jolly wrote:
Spinachcat wrote:Good stuff. The tech breakdown from Rifts is useful. I will be rereading Underseas and see if I pluck some CE ideas out of there.

One of the first things that came to mind is having an adventure based on one of those super carriers.

I cant recall right now, how many of them were made, but you could always have a second one that was tied up in port when the end came..

Gosh, ...I need to start jotting this down in my book.

I didn't include some things because they are not likely to be commonly encountered. A lot of stuff in Underseas is like this, plus lots of foreign stuff.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Spinachcat wrote:One of the problems I see with CE setting is that the books do not give us an informed look at life in the Golden Age. In Systems Failure and Dead Reign, we know what we lost because its the here and now. In Mechanoids Invasion, we envision losing Standard SciFi Life from so many films and TV shows. However, not so with the Golden Age. What was daily life for people like in 2098? Why was it both a utopia and a time when you needed giant robots with MDC weapons? Why would an enlightened future society need NEMA running around with weapons that could blow up buildings inside the US?

you have to remeber two things.

first, the reason it is considered utopian is because we have only heard anything about it from the post-rifts population. which tend to focus on the fact people generally had medical care, enough food, and access to the mazing technologies of computers, the internet, television, microwaves, refigerators, automobiles. in nearly every household. that pre-rifts society had rivers of concrete and asphalt in which to use those fleets of cars, had instant communications with the entire globe, and routinely was able to send people into space...
which considering the near medieval level of society in most of RIFTS earth, and even the state of the tech-centers in RIFTS, makes pre-rifts society look pretty darn good.

it's nostalgia that makes it utopia, not fact. post-rifts people look back at the good things. longer lives. quality food. technology developed for comfort and to simplify lives. and they don't think about the fact poverty would still exist. that some parts of the world did not have sufficent medical care or food. that those "life enhancing technologies" usually just made a populace so dependant on machines they could not easily survive without them, or so decadent that they di not contribute to society as a whole.

second, you have ot remember that our knowledge of "golden age technology" so far has been in terms of warfare related devices from just before the cataclysm. by 2098 the world had not been in the 'golden age of peace' for almost 20+ years. it was the second cold war. nations were busy making fearsome weapons of war, making up for lost time. remember that the Guada marta incident involved USA-G10 Chrome Guardsmen suits, and that was ten years before the cataclysm. and something as powerful and developed as the Glitterboy is going to be the result of several generations of military powered armor, subject to years of development.

NEMA is most definately a product of this second cold war period. it is a national security force, a mix of FEMA, CIA, FBI, DEA, ATF, Secret Service, and National Guard. before the rifts it's operations are probably best looked at from the perspective of "public security" from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and it's sequals. a force who's goal is to deal with the internal threats of terrorism (physical and cyber), stem the proliferation of military grade weapons, armor, and cybernetics, to react to disasters (both natural and man made) and to serve as a final line of defense should the army, navy, marines, and airforce fail to stop an invader. for this they need military grade weaponry, they need paramilitary training, they need intellegence divisions and rescue personell. they are essentually a fifth branch of the military, one dedicated to civil service duties.

so we do not know what the "golden age of peace" was like. i suspect it was not very peaceful, but that there was just no war. instead what conflicts there were were primarily low intensity and essentually civil. with most governments enjoying the economic boons made possible by the advancing technologies, there is little need to fight, and thus little need to maintain powerful militaries. thus they suffer budget cuts andtheir capabilities suffer, until something happens to upset the situation...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are some interesting ideas GB.

And after those governments saw that the world was heading into the can, they would begin to escalate their military budgets. They might reach into the trillions per year for the large nations.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Jason,
Have you considered adding references from Rifts: Japan? Seems that many of the items that were d-shifted forward in time would be great examples of other tech available. I do understand however, that you're trying to keep the focus on NA.

jva
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Jason Richards

Xar wrote:Jason,
Have you considered adding references from Rifts: Japan? Seems that many of the items that were d-shifted forward in time would be great examples of other tech available. I do understand however, that you're trying to keep the focus on NA.

jva

I did consider it (as well as some South American and Underseas tech), but decided that the equipment references should all be items that survivors of the Cataclysm are relatively more likely to have available. Since CE is a game more about survival than dominating the odds, I kept the references only to items known to be in North America due to direct canonical sources. That's why, you'll notice, that there are no C.S. weapons and devices listed, because they are not exactly what can be found in NEMA and the militaries of the NAA. Also notably absent are Juicer weapons of German design.

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Jason Richards wrote:I did consider it (as well as some South American and Underseas tech), but decided that the equipment references should all be items that survivors of the Cataclysm are relatively more likely to have available. Since CE is a game more about survival than dominating the odds, I kept the references only to items known to be in North America due to direct canonical sources. That's why, you'll notice, that there are no C.S. weapons and devices listed, because they are not exactly what can be found in NEMA and the militaries of the NAA. Also notably absent are Juicer weapons of German design.

Cool. I can go with that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

jva
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Jason Richards

BARQ wrote:well damn your web site is cool liked your bio, lol you discovered writing early lol i had to find out at 35 sigh run strong young buck.

Thanks. I'm working on a new site that I'll put together after Gen Con. :ok:

Aramanthus
Monk

Thank you for the update. We're looking forward to the new site, hopefully with some teasers on it.

HH....FIE
Jason Richards

Updated for the new website.

Aramanthus
Monk

Re: Chaos Earth References (PDF) posted at jasonrichards.net

Cool! Thank you for the info Jason!

HH....FIE
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I like the new updates for CE but I think the damage for the mastiff rifle is too low, 1d4x10 is barely enough to adequately damage most mecha or body armor or light PA, I understand game balance butthe damage ( my opinion only) should be more like 2d6x10, that way it represents a more serious threat to opponents. :D
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Jason Richards

keir451 wrote:I like the new updates for CE but I think the damage for the mastiff rifle is too low, 1d4x10 is barely enough to adequately damage most mecha or body armor or light PA, I understand game balance butthe damage ( my opinion only) should be more like 2d6x10, that way it represents a more serious threat to opponents. :D

I agree. As a rule, I would at least double the damage of every crewed or robot-mounted weapon, and even further increase damages for weapons used by giant robots, tanks, etc. That's just not how the balance of the game is set up, though. I've always assumed that lots of people played with a multiplier on a lot of the weapon damages.

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Another recent and good reference I've gotten a lot of use out of is the Dead Reign books. The survivor OCC's are really good fits for the CE setting and make for compelling characters.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Jason Richards

The site is updated, as is the precise address of the Chaos Earth references. Check out the new site (still tweaking it) and update your links.

FYI, I'll be making updates regarding Dead Reign soon. I'll post again once that is done.

LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Sadly http://www.jasonrichards.net is redirecting me to a kickstarter for miniatures.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I don't want to speak for Jason, but I think he has moved on to other things. He is around the boards, so you might want to send him a note/pm and ask if he has this stuff somewhere else.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

maybe this (and the other one) should be unstickied, since it no longer has the information the title says it does?
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”