Chaos Earth - What SA country did you think started the war

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wolfattack
D-Bee

Chaos Earth - What SA country did you think started the war

Unread post by wolfattack »

So, i finished reading Chaos Earth and i was thrilled by the setting. some real good stuff in there. lots of ideas for a campaign.

Kevin Siembieda seemed cautious in giving names, but who do you guys think was the two South American nations who nuked each other and triggered the Ley Lines eruption? he said it were small countries so i thought that maybe the FARC forces from Colombia trespassed the Venezuela border which caused all the hostilities.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Chaos Earth - What SA country did you think started the

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I haven't read Chaos Earth (and I should!) but, doesn't the war start between two SA nations, but then 'murica does it's whole 'murica thing and sends troops on the sly (GB unit) and when the fighting gets ridiculous (these modern armies can't kill like...10 dudes) the panic of knowing that even in that age of technological marvels, some nations are still so more advanced than others caused a panic and then...boom?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I say it wasn't a country by the Founding Omagua that stated the war, perhaps the Psychic Felines manipulated the humans into a battle to cover their escape....
wolfattack
D-Bee

Alrik Vas wrote:I haven't read Chaos Earth (and I should!) but, doesn't the war start between two SA nations, but then 'murica does it's whole 'murica thing and sends troops on the sly (GB unit) and when the fighting gets ridiculous (these modern armies can't kill like...10 dudes) the panic of knowing that even in that age of technological marvels, some nations are still so more advanced than others caused a panic and then...boom?

That's what is in the books...my question is for us to think outside of it, beyond vague lines of information.

What i would like to know is who do you guys think those ''two SA nations'' were. KS said they were small countries but i don't think Suriname, Guinea and French Guinea could have nuclear warheads. also their population wouldn't count millions, even in the future so this probably their deads wouldn't provide enough PPE for the Ley Lines to erupt .

Also he did contradict himself on World Book 1: Vampire Kingdoms on page 153 when he wrote ''It is also interesting to note that the conflict that began the rifting of the ley lines was in Central America, perhaps somewhere near the Yucatan.''

Apparently he forgot this and said it started in South America on Chaos Earth.
wolfattack
D-Bee

KS contradicted himself. in Vampire Kingdoms, while describing the Yucatan peninsula he stated that the war that caused the explosion of the Ley Lines ocurred in Central America, near Guatemala.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I don't see this as a contradiction necessarily. I think the cause is a series of wars that all erupted almost simultaneously. Two SA nations going at it and the US intervening could lead to a Central American conflict if perhaps, the Americans violated CA borders trying to move troops to SA.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Keep In mind WB7 establishes that the ticonderga was built after guada Marta, which is in keeping with the 'perhaps much as a decade' reference to time between the incident and the start of the cataclysm

So the timeline goes roughly, sometime in the late 2080's a unit of glitterboys (probably a rather new weapon then) is sent to SA, where they get involved in a border dispute, massacre a lot of troops and level a town, creating tensions between the two SA nations. Over the next decade tensions rise, the two threaten each other a bunch, while the rest of the world arms up with more MD 'super tech weapons', then in december 2098 the tensions come to a head, nukes fly.

Given the timing guada Marta might have been the first incident that helped kick off the new cold war. Different super powers finding themselves on opposite sides over the SA conflict (and possible my others) driving the development and deployment of more advanced military hardware in an MDtech arms race
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
wolfattack
D-Bee

The way i see it, the USA sending the Glitterboys to SA, the Guada Marta incident and the cataclysm all happened at the same year, 2098.

Tension was already building in the previous years, but the Guada Marta incident was the sparkle that started the explosion.

After much protest against the use of the GB at the United Nations and no real action by the part of the UN, one of the SA nations decided to do justice with ''their own hands''. as the Chaos Earth book explained, there was no general nuclear exchange. it was just between the two nations involved. unfortunately it all happened in the wrong time, at the wrong place.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”