NEMA = NORAD+ NOT FEMA

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

NEMA = NORAD+ NOT FEMA

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I have read how many people accept that NEMA USA zones are organized according to FEMA. But how many have considered that it would be more likely that they'd absorb an already standing defense alliance with Canada and the U.S.? I think that NEMA replaced NORAD between the U.S. and Canada. Or in some Engrish, all their bases are belong to them. FYI Cheyenne Mountain Facility is not NORAD it is a PART of the command and only an alternate HQ at that.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: NEMA = NORAD+ NOT FEMA

Unread post by Jefffar »

NORAD is an air defense pact, NEMA seems to be focused on law enforcement, emergency management, civil defense and counter terrorism. It also seems to be an arm of a police state that is implied but never actually established.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jefffar wrote:NORAD is an air defense pact, NEMA seems to be focused on law enforcement, emergency management, civil defense and counter terrorism. It also seems to be an arm of a police state that is implied but never actually established.

Yes, so still more like DHS than FEMA. But as far as NORAD goes it would have been absorbed by NEMA. The U.S. would maintain their FEMA which would keep their districts. Now DHS would probably also be absorbed into NEMA.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'd say NORAD still exists, possibly separately, or potentially within the context of NEMA.

NEMA also is very much a North American NATO in some ways.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jefffar wrote:I'd say NORAD still exists, possibly separately, or potentially within the context of NEMA.

NEMA also is very much a North American NATO in some ways.

Yes it is but while NATO has a lot of member nations, NORAD only has nations included in NEMA.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

NEMA includes Mexico, NORAD is Canada and the US only IIRC.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jefffar wrote:NEMA includes Mexico, NORAD is Canada and the US only IIRC.

Yes I know I said
Yes it is but while NATO has a lot of member nations, NORAD only has nations included in NEMA.
not
Yes it is but while NATO has a lot of member nations, NORAD has all the nations included in NEMA.

Meaning of original, all of the member nations of NORAD are members of NEMA NOT NORAD is all the member nations of NEMA. So to equate NEMA to NATO is further off than equating NEMA to NORAD

NATO = ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZÆçð (28)
NORAD = AB (2)
NEMA = ABë (3)

While NORAD includes members from NATO it also only includes members of NEMA as in it does not include additional members from NATO. I didn't say mexico wasn't included. I said that that NORAD is composed of nations that are already included in NEMA and doesn't include any nations that are not.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I always took NEMA as Homeland Security, Coast Guard, and all of the Federal Alphabet Soup welded together, along with the Canadian and Mexican versions of each. The military was still the military, but had different focus.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

ok, point of order (yet again, i'm seeing this all over this forum)

NEMA = a cross-nation government paramilitary law enforcement, disaster relief, homeland security, and peacekeeping entity.

the NAA (North American Alliance) = the political union composed of the united states, canada, and mexico.

please stop using the acronym NEMA to refer to the national alliance as a whole as if the government and national military forces of the three nations ceased to exist.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

sorry for the double post but it's been long enough that a simple edit would go unnoticed.

i would say that the "NORAD" in the CE book is actually just the Cheyenne Mountain Complex, which NEMA had updated, expended, and set up as one of their HQ's.

the actual North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) commands would be in Peterson AFB near Colorado Springs, CO. where both those commands were moved to in 2006. (their former center at Cheyenne Mountain was relegated to the backup facility at that point)

however since "cheyenne mountain = NORAD" had been in the public mindset for so long that even though it is wrong, even NEMA members use "NORAD" as slang for the mountain complex. (since the full name is too long for casual conversation and does not lend itself to an easy nickname otherwise)

i would assume that NEMA obtained the Cheyenne Mountain complex due to it being set up to serve as as a USNORTHCOMM center originally in addition to it's air defense role. USNORTHCOMM is the military command dedicated to supporting civil authorities, and coordinating the defense of North America (the USA, Canada, Mexico, and nearby US territories like Puerto Rico). both of which are roles that NEMA handles alongside the military proper in the rifts/CE golden age. so having a NEMA command center geographically close to the USNORTHCOMM command center would make sense. whether USNORTHCOMM moved back into the Cheyenne Mountain facility alongside NEMA is probably a GM call thing.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:ok, point of order (yet again, i'm seeing this all over this forum)

NEMA = a cross-nation government paramilitary law enforcement, disaster relief, homeland security, and peacekeeping entity.

the NAA (North American Alliance) = the political union composed of the united states, canada, and mexico.

please stop using the acronym NEMA to refer to the national alliance as a whole as if the government and national military forces of the three nations ceased to exist.

Hope your not saying I've done that. All I've been saying is that NEMA likely took over the responsibility and the bases for NORAD and extended the area to cover Mexico. The military still exists as do the individual nations just as NORAD doesn't get rid of Canada's and America's military. It is an arrangement of the three countries to share defensive responsibilities and multinational law enforcement. Heck there are probably even places where NEMA doesn't work law wise.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:sorry for the double post but it's been long enough that a simple edit would go unnoticed.

i would say that the "NORAD" in the CE book is actually just the Cheyenne Mountain Complex, which NEMA had updated, expended, and set up as one of their HQ's.

the actual North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) commands would be in Peterson AFB near Colorado Springs, CO. where both those commands were moved to in 2006. (their former center at Cheyenne Mountain was relegated to the backup facility at that point)

however since "cheyenne mountain = NORAD" had been in the public mindset for so long that even though it is wrong, even NEMA members use "NORAD" as slang for the mountain complex. (since the full name is too long for casual conversation and does not lend itself to an easy nickname otherwise)

i would assume that NEMA obtained the Cheyenne Mountain complex due to it being set up to serve as as a USNORTHCOMM center originally in addition to it's air defense role. USNORTHCOMM is the military command dedicated to supporting civil authorities, and coordinating the defense of North America (the USA, Canada, Mexico, and nearby US territories like Puerto Rico). both of which are roles that NEMA handles alongside the military proper in the rifts/CE golden age. so having a NEMA command center geographically close to the USNORTHCOMM command center would make sense. whether USNORTHCOMM moved back into the Cheyenne Mountain facility alongside NEMA is probably a GM call thing.

Figured "Cheyenne" would be a good enough nick name. But NEMA should have taken all of the NORAD hosted facilities like the NORAD buildings on Elmendorf Airfield to include the Intel building and the AWACS squadron buildings. I'm fine with them also assuming FEMA's responsibilities, heck if were gonna go that far should include CDC too and I think everyone thinks they're also DHS. But the US wouldn't give up CIA or FBI and would probably have issues about Mexico having a say in the DEA or Canada having a say with ATFE. Basically keeping NEMA as a defensive military group with some law enforcement authority in non-conflicting areas. Because they're more military and less criminal investigation they need more hangers and access to airstrips, like bases, than they need offices, like FEMA. Granted FEMA probably has some awesome storage facilities.

NORAD made Cheyenne the alternate C&C center on May 12,2008 not in 2006. C&C does not equal headquarters. Peterson had had NORAD HQ since 1988 with C&C moving from Cheyenne to Peterson in 2006 and officially in 2008. HQ = Administration/Strategic decisions. C&C = Tactical day to day decisions. Meaning Cheyenne has never been NORAD only NORAD C&C and now only NORAD alternate C&C. But NEMA, the military and the government would have had from 2008-2033 to disassociate NORAD from Cheyenne... 25 years. Sure one could argue habit but military members don't keep that much when they get flack for calling it the wrong thing.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”