Question about Chaos Magic and magic in general

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tgunner91
Explorer

Question about Chaos Magic and magic in general

Unread post by tgunner91 »

Hi all,

I finally got my copy of Rise of Magic a couple of weeks ago and I find that I have a few questions about how it's used. Thanks in advance for fielding my questions!

1. I didn't see any rules at all about spell casting and how it works especially in combat. Am I missing something here? I have RUE and it has complete rules so I would assume that these rules would work fine for Chaos Earth. But is there a sourcebook or Rifter that I need that fleshes out the magic system?

2. Assuming that the magic system is the same as RUE, what level are Chaos Magic spells considered to be? All the spells in RUE have a level and that is important for spell casting times. But I can't seem to find any reference to these levels in any rulebook, FAQ, or Rifter that I can lay my hands on. I THINK these are fairly easy and low level spells so I treat them as being level 1-5 and needing only a single action to cast. Is that fair to you? Or is there something I'm missing that's official and tells me the effective level of these spells?
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Question about Chaos Magic and magic in general

Unread post by Fell »

I consider all Chaos Spells to be low level. As if they were under level 5. Page 30 of Rise of Magic Book, top right of page, it says select levels 1-4 which makes me think the Chaos Spells are 1-4
Single action to cast is how I do it too.

Far as I know there is no further info out there. I think you are playing it right.
Dan Frederick
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

2 Chose Magic, that kid wizards make, are cast intuitively. Based on what Chaos Mages can intuitively gain the ability to cast, I would agree with Fell that all Chaos Magic are to be considered to be level 1-level 4 spells.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

1. use the RUE for spell combat

2. consider all the chaos magic as being 1st level spells
tgunner91
Explorer

Unread post by tgunner91 »

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I have a new NPC that I've pulled into my campaign and wanted to make sure I was using her correctly. Thanks!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:2 Chose Magic, that kid wizards make, are cast intuitively. Based on what Chaos Mages can intuitively gain the ability to cast, I would agree with Fell that all Chaos Magic are to be considered to be level 1-level 4 spells.

This was my gut reaction as well. Both the very instinctual will based casting methods and the super high PPE levels calling forth magical effects like this should take minimal effort such that even untrained children are literally bursting with power. The longer casting stuff is mostly rituals or really elaborate spells. At this era most people don't have an advanced enough knowledge of magic to have access to such things unless they are D-bees or dimensional travelers.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

kaid wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:2 Chose Magic, that kid wizards make, are cast intuitively. Based on what Chaos Mages can intuitively gain the ability to cast, I would agree with Fell that all Chaos Magic are to be considered to be level 1-level 4 spells.

This was my gut reaction as well. Both the very instinctual will based casting methods and the super high PPE levels calling forth magical effects like this should take minimal effort such that even untrained children are literally bursting with power. The longer casting stuff is mostly rituals or really elaborate spells. At this era most people don't have an advanced enough knowledge of magic to have access to such things unless they are D-bees or dimensional travelers.

The thing is...the Blue Line Wizard can have Chaos Magic spells but does not say if get them intuitively or if they gain then as incantation equivalent.

Another thing....There are those who choose to ignore limitations that surround Chaos Magic because it is specialty magic, because of the BLW exception. :roll:
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
kaid wrote:

The thing is...the Blue Line Wizard can have Chaos Magic spells but does not say if get them intuitively or if they gain then as incantation equivalent.

Another thing....There are those who choose to ignore limitations that surround Chaos Magic because it is specialty magic, because of the BLW exception. :roll:

It states that they replace the what incantation he would learn so I would say he learns them as incantations
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

smkeyes wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
kaid wrote:

It states that they replace the what incantation he would learn so I would say he learns them as incantations

:P I wouldn't say out load that the ones a BLW gets are incantations, because that would just encourage the abuse. :angel:

If I was going to say anything I would say that ALL Chaos Magic spells as incantations for mages other then the BLW, are at a minimum Level 4. Going up as the individual GM's rule on this for their games.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Ugh. Not this argument again. :roll:
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:Ugh. Not this argument again. :roll:

We got through it faster this time. (based off the estimated number of posts.)
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

also if you use BTS you could have been a handful of mages running about, and they would probly have an edge when it comes to servival
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I think it would be very cool to see how the BTS character classes all chance and react to the coming of the Rifts. I see them emerging as leaders for the frightened and lost, and a big part of how Humanity survives outside of NEMA's help.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Does anyone know if any Temporal Magic exists in Chaos Earth era? Shifters 'return home' OCC power allows them to travel backward to their home time if they are sent forward in time so I was thinking that could be a fun way to travel across the centuries and learn both normal and chaos spells.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

It would nice to see the BTS2 mage class…..period. :-?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Axelmania wrote:Does anyone know if any Temporal Magic exists in Chaos Earth era? Shifters 'return home' OCC power allows them to travel backward to their home time if they are sent forward in time so I was thinking that could be a fun way to travel across the centuries and learn both normal and chaos spells.

Your question does not relate to the statement that follows it. Temporal Magic exists in Chaos Earth only if the Temporal O.C.C.'s or R.C.C. comes to Chaos Earth and stays. That would not be typical of the classes though - they're more likely, if anything, to take away some people and have them apprentice under them for the 6 year minimum. So... basically no, but with the caveat that there's no reason the classes who use the Temporal magic can't be around for some reason or another.

As far as Shifters, according to the Rise of Magic the Chaos Earth Magic classes are all that's available for 50-75 years before magic users start to look more like the Rifts magic classes. So there would be no Shifters during the setting of the Chaos Earth game.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”