Atlantis and chaos earth

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Atlantis and chaos earth

Unread post by Tags »

I may have read this somewhere but by now I simply cannot recall, has it been mention anywhere exactly when Atlantis re-appeared? At the moment I do not have the ability to go digging into my books... ; /
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
TagsPB
Explorer

Re: Atlantis and chaos earth

Unread post by TagsPB »

Well it's very sudden reappearance would result in some massive tidal waves......like the ones that hit New York.

That much land suddenly displacing that much water would hurt everyone
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Well, coastal cities would be swamped though I dunno how far inland it would go, though I can we philly getting hit, not a bad thing in all. Though were magic levels high enough early on during the chaos for Atlantis to reappear or did come later after magic levels were higher. When would the levels be high enough.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

This timeline places the reappearance of the continent during or immediately after the cataclysm. However, it also indicates that Splynncryth's forces didn't occupy it until a century later. I can't vouch for the accuracy of these dates, but it's something to start with. WB2, p.14, indicates that Atlantis returned to Earth when the ley lines surged, which would place it during the great cataclysm, and indicates that the landmass reforested over the course of a century before the alien intelligences arrived.

Ultimately, if you're curious whether you could justify using Atlantean forces in your Chaos Earth campaign, I don't think it really matters. Rifts are also temporal anomalies, so it's entirely possible that an expeditionary force bound for pretty much anywhere got swept to the time and place that your story takes place on accident. Perhaps it's even the group that discovered the Earth for Splynncryth.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

So a rogue Atlantis, Pefect for Nxla to make its appearance and send his Xombies on the attack.

This opens up the arrival of Psyscape in the Midwest.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I thought the continent of Atlantis reappeared at the moment of the ley-line eruption, and was the cause of the massive tidal waves that destroyed the coasts? I believe that's mentioned early, in the Atlantis book.

Ah, here it is. From Rifts Atlantis, page 14:
The Atlantis of Today — Rifts Earth

Although Atlantean civilization had been washed into the ocean, the continent itself did not sink beneath the waves as legends suggests. In reality, the battered, lifeless continent rifted into a dimensional limbo where it remained for thousands of years. When the ley lines erupted and the Earth again became filled with magic energy, the legendary continent reappeared. As long as the powerful lines of mystic energy continue to pulse through the Earth, the mysterious continent will remain part of the planet. However, should the magic fade, the continent will disappear again.

During the first century of its rebirth, new forests covered its long dormant body. Then, the alien intelligences arrived. Atlantis was immediately recognized as one of the most powerful places of magic on Earth. The fact that it was not yet inhabited by intelligent life made its conquest all the easier. Over the next few centuries, the continent had been transformed. A new, alien civilization, magic, and technology dominated the land. Again, Atlantis has become a dimensional doorway to a hundred worlds, only this time it is controlled by the monstrous enslavers known throughout the Megaverse as the Splugorth.

It doesn't talk about being the cause of the tidal waves here, so it was either mentioned in another book or I just made an assumption.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Soooo what came first, Atlantis or tidal wave. Given the time of it's arrival the rising waters would be a factor in a Chaos Earth campaign... Wonder how an inland city on a river would fare.

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Shark filed tornadoes??
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Depends on elevation. Pittsburgh is 710ft and higher above sea level. It's going to be a lot closer to the ocean than in our reality, but it should still be relatively untouched by tidal waves. Earthquakes and d-shifting on the other hand...
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Bill wrote:Depends on elevation. Pittsburgh is 710ft and higher above sea level. It's going to be a lot closer to the ocean than in our reality, but it should still be relatively untouched by tidal waves. Earthquakes and d-shifting on the other hand...

Well I could see the rivers surging, he'll a good snowfall and spring thaw floods most river front property. Big flood dropped a barge on a row of parked cars. Though if the tidal wave is less of a concern, that should make things easier...

Well we do have a minor fault line, though I've only experienced that once in some 39 years.

H. P. Lovecraft
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Rifts Ultimate Edition, page 41, says this about the East coast:
...the entire eastern coastline was bombarded by todal waves, hurricanes, and earthquakes that shook the land for a decade, so terrible was the Great Cataclysm in this part of the world. As a result, the cities along the coast were pulverized in wave after wave of destruction that reaches as far as the Appalachian and Allegheny Mountains.

Pennsylvania is called out in the last paragraph:
Pennsylvania, Maine, and the rest of the region is mostly forested wilderness, with a few settlements, fishing villages, and barbarian tribes. Among the notable humanoid inhabitants there are scattered clans of Psi-Stalkers and Shemarrian warriors. The coast is also visited by human and D-Bee pirates, the Horune and Minions of Splugorth, the latter usually Splugorth Slavers.

Basically, it sounds like tidal waves and other disasters just devastated everything east of the Appalachian mountains, regardless of elevation or best intentions. While Madhaven doesn't talk about Pennsylvania as far as I've been able to see, page 17 does have a map which labels "The Ruins of Philadelphia" and shows at least one ley line running through the city. So there may be more information hidden somewhere in the book but if that's the case, I haven't found it yet.

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

So many inconsistencies... Well the coast would be pretty fagged, though Madhaven has massive ruins and if Philly is ruin then the tidal wave didn't wipe the coast clean. Though it does suggest any NEMA forces in the eastern cities would have been wiped out.

Pittsburgh lies far enough to the west that it seems likely the tidal wave wouldn't have reached that far, due to intervening mountains. Earthquakes would be a prob... Over all I'm inclined to believe western PA would provide the best chance of survival for NEMA personnel. Given the actions of tidal waves, Atlantis's appearance is almost a non-issue. Ultimately sea levels will rise, but could anyone really survive the tidal wave to be effected immediately.

H. P. Lovecraft
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Seems reasonable that Pittsburgh is spared the tidal waves at least. Looking at some of the maps fans have compiled based on all the different world and source books, that whole region in "modern day Rifts" pretty much has nothing there. All the source material seems to confirm that it's just wilderness and random encounters in that whole area.

Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

It looks like Pennsylvania has had earthquakes as strong as a magnitude six (slight damage to buildings and structures) in the past. An 8.0 or bigger might hit the Pittsburgh area during the great cataclysm. That would basically flatten the city and it could swell the river too. Severe Ley Line storms might also devastate the area. Or maybe a nice plague. Rifts never really gets into the glorious mess that would be diseases being carried into worlds with no resistance to them.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Well it's something to consider... Obviously with no resistance the mortality rate would be extremely high, though depending on the plagues virulence and vectors it might not be able to spread to far. Especially in a post rift world, with limited travel, though if such a plague struck a heavily populated city like Chi- town.

As to the earthquakes, well judging by Madhaven, MDC reinforced structures would be damaged but not flattened. I figure the local collages and hospitals in Oakland and downtown would be re-enforced. Neighborhoods such as North side, South Side, and the West end would not fare well. The NEMA base would be built to last.

H. P. Lovecraft
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

say652 wrote:So a rogue Atlantis, Pefect for Nxla to make its appearance and send his Xombies on the attack. This opens up the arrival of Psyscape in the Midwest.

Makes me wonder... what if the True Atlanteans were helping Psyscape attack Atlantis to rid it of Nxla and this is what weakened them allowing the Splugorth to take over?

Also, I want bottom-walking Xombies and Xombies in pirate ships commanded by Harvesters who conduct rituals in the brig.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Yeah the appearance of Atlantis would create pretty heavy tsunamis that would've added to the devastation of the East coast. Add in the earthquakes happening along the West coast and the Pacific regions and you'd get some pretty serious devastation along with extra tsunamis that would wipe out many major coastal areas as well as islands as well.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I can buy, and even support a few True Atlanteans helping Psyscape, especially since they are TAs living there in the PA period. Are you saying a few TAs were on Atlantis as pathfinders after the Cataclysm? That could be interesting.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”