NEMA: Pittsburgh

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

NEMA: Pittsburgh

Unread post by Tags »

So being a native of Pittsburgh, I have always been interested in seeing something done in Rifts with this area. Though recently I have had idea for Chaos Earth, I figure NEMA would have a presence here, and I think I have a good location for a NEMA outpost, an island not far from downtown.

The question is, how likely would they be to abandon an easily defended location to take a risky track out west with thousands of refugees in tow. Assuming NEMA forces hold their ground then what? Do they attempt to build a new community. And how long could this community survive. I wonder if they would still be around by the time of the modern Rifts calender.

Very little is set in stone, still brain storming... Another GM I used to game with had some very interesting ideas for the area, mostly involving elves and dwarves... Personally I'd stick to Wolven. Point State park seems a likely location for a rift dumping who knows what into the area, including a pack of Wolven. :mrgreen:
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: NEMA: Pittsburgh

Unread post by Fell »

You see that's what got me started on the Chaos Earth New Mexico article I wrote. For one it did not seem like the people in New Mexico would make the trip all the way up to the Chicago area. Two, just because NEMA and the federal government said, come to Chigago, doesn't mean the people will. I think a lot of locals and even State employees have a distrust of the Feds.

That's why I wrote about NM State Police saying, no I am not listening to NEMA, we will organize here in our OWN state, our homes.

So the idea of ignoring NEMA and organizing in your own state seems likely.

If an apocalypse arrives, unless California is falling into the ocean, I won't be making any sort of trek east just because the Feds say so. I'll hit my offices armory and become king/mayor in my neck of the woods :)
Dan Frederick
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Doesn't Pittsburgh have manufacturing facilities ties to A.R.C.H.I.E.-3, as per the updated Sourcebook 1? I think if you read about the Republicans there you might get a little more insight to that area during the dark ages.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Fleeing from the rapidly unstable Archie 3 seems like a good reason to had to Chicago.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Glistam wrote:Doesn't Pittsburgh have manufacturing facilities ties to A.R.C.H.I.E.-3, as per the updated Sourcebook 1? I think if you read about the Republicans there you might get a little more insight to that area during the dark ages.

I don't recall Palladium ever mentioning the are in SB 1. They have talked about the Alleghany mountains but they have largely glossed over PA mostly referring to it as trackless forest largely lumped into "the east coast". In fact I only recall Pittsburgh being mentioned in a Nightbane source book. Never read anything about ARCHIE being tied to Pittsburgh, I figured I'll scan the book again but I'm not expecting any surprises. Gotta do something with these three weeks off.

I could be mistaken but last time I read SB 1 I remember if focusing on Maryland.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

When the Revised Sourcebook 1 inserted the Republicans, I believe it tied them to one of A.R.C.H.I.E.'s factories in Pennsylvania somewhere. I may very well be misremembering the city.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I don't have access to the Revised Sourcebook 1 here at work, but page 22 of the Shemarrian Nation book mentions robot factories in Pennsylvania and western Maryland. Specifically it has this to say about it:
Miles from the Allegheny Mountain Facility, within the mountainous woodlands of Pennsylvania, is Manufacturing Center Number Two. Essentially a raw material processing plant, this secret facility contains multiple steel mills and coal mines, in addition to an M.D.C. material processing plant. The manufacture of Archie's robot minions, including Shemarrians and Titan Robotics products, also takes place here. The Pennsylvania Factory Complex acts as a secondary version of the Allegheny Mountain facility, with its own command and control facilities along with its mills and mines. Located primarily in the northeast of what was once Dauphin County, where the town of Lykens once stood, the manufacturing center is primarily underground. A few small surface buildings do exist however, hidden away in between Mahantango and Bear Mountain.

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

say652 wrote:Fleeing from the rapidly unstable Archie 3 seems like a good reason to had to Chicago.

I dunno... I can't see many NEMA officers thinking it's a good idea to track across a rapidly changing monster infested wasteland with limited ammunition, supplies, and thousands of refugees, many of whome would sick and injured, when you have a highly defensible and well stocked base at your disposal.

ARCHIE is almost a non factor, restricted as he is to the HQ-ECC during the cataclysm. The few times he went after NEMA personnel were self defense. I do not believe he would activly seek out a re-enforced NEMA outpost at this time, and assuming the base prospers, when ARCHIE finally becomes more active he would likely view the area as too defended and merely observe unless the area became and obvious threat.

I don't see Pittsburgh or the surrounding area being much interest to ARCHIE, he already has his own manufacturing capabilities, and it's not like the city has access to abundant natural resources.
Last edited by Tags on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H. P. Lovecraft
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Glistam wrote:I don't have access to the Revised Sourcebook 1 here at work, but page 22 of the Shemarrian Nation book mentions robot factories in Pennsylvania and western Maryland. Specifically it has this to say about it:
Miles from the Allegheny Mountain Facility, within the mountainous woodlands of Pennsylvania, is Manufacturing Center Number Two. Essentially a raw material processing plant, this secret facility contains multiple steel mills and coal mines, in addition to an M.D.C. material processing plant. The manufacture of Archie's robot minions, including Shemarrians and Titan Robotics products, also takes place here. The Pennsylvania Factory Complex acts as a secondary version of the Allegheny Mountain facility, with its own command and control facilities along with its mills and mines. Located primarily in the northeast of what was once Dauphin County, where the town of Lykens once stood, the manufacturing center is primarily underground. A few small surface buildings do exist however, hidden away in between Mahantango and Bear Mountain.

Well SB 1 makes no mention of PA that I can find, seems to concentrate on Maryland and mentions Washington but that's about I could find.

As to Shemmarian nation... Well it's vague, Lykens is a small town out east, closer to Harrisburgh. Being a coal mining town I can see ARCHIE building a factory there. Leaves most of the state open to interpretation. As I said, Palladium has largely ignored Pittsburgh.

SB 1 implies that the majority of ARCHIE's factories are in house, never really gives much detail as to location though.

H. P. Lovecraft
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

IIRC, didn't Gen. Sawyer move her command from texas or something up to chicago? reading that i always thought that was a bit weird, since it was also at the height of the environmental changes.. the feet of ash, the constant storms.. and made me winder what the civilians in her original area of assignment thought, given that she takes her command, the only group equipped and able to help the locals survive, on this trek halfway across the country.

during the cataclysm i can see shorter trips. people going from one part of a state to another where there is better protection and supplies. but trips of more than a hundred miles would be rare i'd think. and i suspect most of NEMA would be wary of treking away from their existing supply centers and bases.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

glitterboy2098 wrote:IIRC, didn't Gen. Sawyer move her command from texas or something up to chicago? reading that i always thought that was a bit weird, since it was also at the height of the environmental changes.. the feet of ash, the constant storms.. and made me winder what the civilians in her original area of assignment thought, given that she takes her command, the only group equipped and able to help the locals survive, on this trek halfway across the country.

during the cataclysm i can see shorter trips. people going from one part of a state to another where there is better protection and supplies. but trips of more than a hundred miles would be rare i'd think. and i suspect most of NEMA would be wary of treking away from their existing supply centers and bases.

Yea, the whole migration to Chicago never made much sense...

H. P. Lovecraft
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Now to consider the possibilities, staying put makes the most sense. A treck to Chicago seems ill-advised at best, and maybe even downright suicide.

The question is how long could the base survive... I would think with enough planning the NEMA personnel and the survivors they rescue could claim back portions of the city and build a thriving community. Though, with the resources at their disposal could they maintain their equipment and if so, how long. And if they survived long enough would they even hold onto their NEMA heritage. The new navy still considers themselves displaced Americans.

H. P. Lovecraft
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Tags wrote:
Glistam wrote:I don't have access to the Revised Sourcebook 1 here at work, but page 22 of the Shemarrian Nation book mentions robot factories in Pennsylvania and western Maryland. Specifically it has this to say about it:

Well SB 1 makes no mention of PA that I can find, seems to concentrate on Maryland and mentions Washington but that's about I could find.

As to Shemmarian nation... Well it's vague, Lykens is a small town out east, closer to Harrisburgh. Being a coal mining town I can see ARCHIE building a factory there. Leaves most of the state open to interpretation. As I said, Palladium has largely ignored Pittsburgh.

SB 1 implies that the majority of ARCHIE's factories are in house, never really gives much detail as to location though.

Sourcebook 1, or Sourcebook 1 Revised?

Page 75 of Aftermath has some sparse information on Pennsylvania, too, but it's not much more than was already extracted from Shemarrian Nation.

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Just looked over the revised edition, I looked through the original in while... Palladium seems to glossing over the east coast for the most part.

Wonder if the coal fire under Centralia is still burning.

H. P. Lovecraft
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Sourcebook 4 talks about Queenstown Harbor, which was founded near the ruins of Cleveland. As far as the "history" of that area, all I could pull was this from Queen Lilia's background:
Lacking any other direction, Lilia headed north and soon stumbled upon a pirate sanctuary near the ruins of Cleveland. Here, with the help of her allies, she decided to build her own free city with architecture and fashion based on that of the 16-18th centuries - her favorite period in Earth history.

Her backstory also says she was born on Atlantis to the Aerihman clan, left home to wander the Megaverse for "decades," and when she returned to Rifts Earth she found the Federation of Magic to be full of bitter, old mages dreaming of the day they could take revenge on the Coalition. It was after that she found the pirates near Cleveland and took over. What I infer from this isn't ultimately as helpful as I would've liked it to be - basically, sometime between the Cataclysm and after the defeat of the Federation of Magic by the Coalition (around 12 P.A. I believe), a group of pirates created a sanctuary near the ruins of Cleveland. I'm not sure if Cleveland is close enough to Pittsburgh to care about.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Shemarrian Nation briefly mentions two "small mountain kingdoms on the Magic Zone's Eastern Fringe, Helicon and Karaksheem," who are on the other side of the Eastern Wall (like Pittsburgh is). There is no canon information on these cities though, including where they might be or their histories. I found this old forum topic discussing them briefly, but if there's been more about them since then I haven't found it.

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Hmmm... Palladium has a habit of mentioning locations but never fleshing them out, or forgetting about them completely in some cases.

H. P. Lovecraft
Andriod
D-Bee

Unread post by Andriod »

I'm sending my campaign to Pittsburgh. So far I set loose a set of World Slayer Demons that took out 2 of your 3 main hospitals (I left Children's Hospital alone) they haven't killed them, but they gun the bodies back to dead every time they twitch.

It's only March 2099 so NEMA is still running back and forth. there's no major NEMA outpost there as of yet, but they are trying to get some of the manufacturing plants on-line since the global economy isn't working so well at the moment.
Campaign Blog for Steel and Chaos:
http://steelandchaos.postach.io/

A small detachment of NEMA doctors makes their way from Mt. Weather Virginia to relieve the depleted hospitals of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.
Andriod
D-Bee

Unread post by Andriod »

Tags, or anyone else want to recommend interesting sites in the area? Especially anything my party would hit coming up from the south-east?
Campaign Blog for Steel and Chaos:
http://steelandchaos.postach.io/

A small detachment of NEMA doctors makes their way from Mt. Weather Virginia to relieve the depleted hospitals of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

one site i suggest to people looking for interesting sites in a region is Atlas Obscura. it is a site dedicated to listing some of the more off-the-radar and intereting locations you can visit.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/

doing a quick search, these jump out as possiblities for plothooks

the worlds largest collection of religous relics - http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/st-anthony-s-chapel
a tunnel system that might make a for a good place for survivors to set up shop - http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/keeling-coal-road
cave, a cult, and the end of the world - http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/cave-of-kelpius
this place would still be burning - http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/centralia
could well become literal - http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the- ... es-of-hell
too small to be atlantean, but might have something - http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/rosicrucian-pyramids
another place that might end up as a survivor hideaway - http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lackawanna-coal-mine
if on ley lines these might have some interesting effects - http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/colu ... alith-park
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ardashir
Wanderer

Unread post by ardashir »

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I like the idea from the original poster about NEMA or whoever trying to re-establish civilization around Pittsburgh. Oh, and the Wolfen coming through a Rift to join in.

I was also wondering, as I currently don't have the Chaos Earth book (just read a lot about it), but was anything said about what happened in the eastern part of PA? For instance, I live in the Lehigh Valley area about two hours north of Philadelphia. What was happening around there?

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”