NEMA FR-EX 220 power source??

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

grandmaster z0b
Champion

NEMA FR-EX 220 power source??

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

What powers the NEMA Fire & Rescue Enhanced Body Armor? It is a powered exoskeleton but it doesn't have any power source listed. It can't be nuclear because the price is only listed as 250 000 credits and a nuclear power source would cost in the millions. The light laser tool has its own e-clip.

Perhaps it has a battery like the very similar Northern Gun Gladius NG-EX10 from Rifts Mercenaries? It can last for 96 hours of continuous use and only takes 2 hours to recharge from a generator.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Re: NEMA FR-EX 220 power source??

Unread post by keir451 »

I'm wiht you on that one. Batteries seems most likely.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Yeah either that or e-clips.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I assume battery. I would go with 48 hour charge and 4 hours to charge up. Also, the MDC is just crazy on that armor...UNLESS there was some justification for firefighters needing to shrug off tank rounds? That I haven't understood.
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

Ever have a building fall on your head? Or drop threw 4 flights of floors???
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

TagsPB wrote:Ever have a building fall on your head? Or drop threw 4 flights of floors???

Not to mention the thought that if its MDC buildings burning....well that fire has to be an MD fire to burn an MDC material......So its kind of like the special suits they use for things like jet fuel fires....hotter fire needs better suit....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Spinachcat wrote:I assume battery. I would go with 48 hour charge and 4 hours to charge up.

You'd think that NEMA tech would be better than or equal to Northern Gun though?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Honestly, you can ask this question about all body armor... I mean, how is it that all those systems built into the armors are powered? HUD, radios, temperature control... I've always just assumed it was a small nuclear power source. The Gladius suit in Rifts: Mercenaries is listed as a cross between body armor and power armor and then comments that a nuclear power source is the most expensive component of any suit. The Chipwell Challenger suit on page 144 of Rifts: Mercenaries is also noted as having batteries instead of a nuclear plant.

Since the NEMA FR-EX doesn't list batteries, I'd say it has a nuclear plant and treat it like the Coalition CA-6EX from page 102 of the Rifts: Coalition War Campaign book and like the Triax T-11 enhanced armor from page 35 of Rifts: Triax 1 (World Book 5).
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
JimmyB
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have been gaming since 1977 and GMing since 1986.
If its an RPG or has minis, Its here somewhere.

Unread post by JimmyB »

NEMA was during the Golden Age and represented the peak of technology.
Everyone was genetically altered. Everyone was cybernetically enhanced,
and everything down to their ATVs were nuclear powered.

If you compare all of the power armor and robots to the FR-EX 220 suit.
It is easy, almost obvious, to assume it has the exact same power source.
Which means it would be good for 20 years.
Jimmy B aka Beatleguise
Gaming in the Verse.
TACPfirefighter
D-Bee
Comment: "Love is the Death of Duty"

Unread post by TACPfirefighter »

I concur my group always treated it as nuclear powered. You don't want to run out of power after two days when people are trying to dig you out of a collapse situation
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

TagsPB wrote:Ever have a building fall on your head? Or drop threw 4 flights of floors???

Um.... actually, yes. :x Not fun.
I gotta go with mini-nuke for the suit.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

Could be a micro nuke ... These suits will get regular maintenance and over hauls so it wouldn't need a 5 year power source......more likely 2 years max
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

Glistam wrote:Honestly, you can ask this question about all body armor... I mean, how is it that all those systems built into the armors are powered? HUD, radios, temperature control... .

never thought too much of it really, but if there was no power source, maybe an ultra sensitive thermal/electric system so it could be powered by the body heat of the wearer?
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

All BA needs a power source, or the HUD etc wouldn't work. I put the firefighting armor in the same category as the German, Japanese, and Russian exoskeleton armors, which means it is powered by the same magic as regular EBA. Body movement/body heat of the wearer? Maybe a cheap tiny battery that lasts years (think CPU clock batteries as modern example)?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”