D-Shifter Abilities and Quirks

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

izanebricks
D-Bee

D-Shifter Abilities and Quirks

Unread post by izanebricks »

I was wondering how others have used the D-Shifter class as I just started playing one myself. How have you handled some of the abilities like turning into light or D-Phasing (straddling two dimensions) as a GM or Player? What have you done with backstory given their inexplicable "quirks" such as:
- Gas masks/capes/the color blue
- Aversion to going to the Astral Plane despite it being a major ability for them
- "Brightness" and "darkness" in or away from Blue Zones
- Their mysterious appearance and subsequent vanishing after 200 years?

As far as changing into light, he changes into a vaguely humanoid shape as per the description, but can "go through" anything that light can shine unimpeded (such as a screen door, but not a window). In addition to this, he can change into any color. By doing such he would be essentially varying his frequency. Does that extend down into ultraviolet or up into infrared as well?

D-Phasing with the Astral Plane makes sense, but then the ability states that any two dimensions can be straddled. How does that work spacially? When the D-Shifter connects to D-Phase between Rifts Earth and Phase World, is he anywhere he wants to be when he steps over (treating it similar to teleports in that regard)?

As far as the quirks I mentioned, the "brightness" I am describing is as if he looks like he's in High Definition in a Blue Zone, kind of eye-popping, and when away from one, seems to fade into shadows, or the hood is pulled as to mask his eyes.

Finally, has anyone noticed that the description while they are in this faded stated sounds eerily similar as to how the Astral Void is described in the Nightbane Between the Shadows?
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Re: D-Shifter Abilities and Quirks

Unread post by Witchcraft »

I'm sad that there are so few opinions to opine. Here's a little bump for you from the GM! I have never played with the class before -- either as a player or as a GM -- so my experience is nonexistent. What I CAN tell you is that all of us feel that you're doing a great job with the character -- with the tools you've got.
There is no spoon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

izanebricks wrote:I was wondering how others have used the D-Shifter class as I just started playing one myself. How have you handled some of the abilities like turning into light or D-Phasing (straddling two dimensions) as a GM or Player? What have you done with backstory given their inexplicable "quirks" such as:
- Gas masks/capes/the color blue
- Aversion to going to the Astral Plane despite it being a major ability for them
- "Brightness" and "darkness" in or away from Blue Zones
- Their mysterious appearance and subsequent vanishing after 200 years?

As far as changing into light, he changes into a vaguely humanoid shape as per the description, but can "go through" anything that light can shine unimpeded (such as a screen door, but not a window). In addition to this, he can change into any color. By doing such he would be essentially varying his frequency. Does that extend down into ultraviolet or up into infrared as well?

D-Phasing with the Astral Plane makes sense, but then the ability states that any two dimensions can be straddled. How does that work spacially? When the D-Shifter connects to D-Phase between Rifts Earth and Phase World, is he anywhere he wants to be when he steps over (treating it similar to teleports in that regard)?

As far as the quirks I mentioned, the "brightness" I am describing is as if he looks like he's in High Definition in a Blue Zone, kind of eye-popping, and when away from one, seems to fade into shadows, or the hood is pulled as to mask his eyes.

Finally, has anyone noticed that the description while they are in this faded stated sounds eerily similar as to how the Astral Void is described in the Nightbane Between the Shadows?

You and I talked offline about the "Disappearance over 200 years" and the "eerie similarity to the Void." I think making the light form ultraviolet or infrared is pushing the ability too far into a direction unintended. We've discussed the "any two dimensions can be straddled" and I think we just agree to disagree there.

I am personally a big fan of this class, and I enjoy seeing it finally in action.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Does anyone else have any experiences with the D-Shifter class, either as player or GM?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i only recently got the CE magic book so i have never used one yet (though i already have a few NPC's in mind)
i was surprised they don't learn spells when they level, but i like how the magic in CE seems weaker and more instinct

i never played the other game to know which race or OCC they are similar too

the ability to change into light though after saying how they are obsessed with blue i am surprised there was no mention that they would turn into a blue colour light (at least most of the time) i could see maybe allowing ultraviolet at least after level 4 or maybe 6
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”