amusment parks?

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

abe
Hero

amusment parks?

Unread post by abe »

what sort of things/creatures w/could you find in old/damaged amusement parks?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: amusment parks?

Unread post by SmilingJack »

Fun house: mutant.clowns, demons, devils, ghosts,

Tunnel of love: infested with crocodiles, pirahnna, and maybe a water elemental

A ferris wheel that is irradited and gives of toxic fumes
~ Love Conquers All ~
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

well, disneyworld gets brief coverage in Rifts: Dinosaur Swamp. you have weird mud-monsters living in the service tunnels.

personally, i could see a tribe of dbee's living in the ruins.. in chaos earth they might be salvaging items from the place to build a community. in rifts they might well be worshipping the mascots and/or decorative buildings and basing their culture around elements of the park..

various entities could be entertaining in chaos earth.. "tectonic entities using statues and decorative stuff to make their bodies. haunting entities reinacting scenes from when the park was active (and possibly some reinacting what happened to staff when the cataclysm hit), siphon entities in the merchandise, possessing entities in the surviving staff...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Goblins and Gremlins perhaps?
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Icefalcon wrote:Goblins and Gremlins perhaps?

could be.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

faulty AI that tries to maintain the park and enforce all the rules ignorant of the chaos in the world.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Warmaster40k wrote:faulty AI that tries to maintain the park and enforce all the rules ignorant of the chaos in the world.

I've seen similar in Gamma World (they seemed to love AI driven crazy by the apocalypse in amusement parks and other public places like universities trying to pretend it never happened and have it try and add the PC to its staff since 'well no one else showed up to work today again').
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

don't forget the raw metal to make stuff with either!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

abe wrote:don't forget the raw metal to make stuff with either!

Good point, all the new parks (and the old ones that have the cash) would either be all constructed from MDC materials (older parks refurbished with MDC materials). It might cost more for the start up but the stronger materials would mean the rides could last longer before breaking down and needing to be repaired/replaced completely.
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

glitterboy2098 wrote:well, disneyworld gets brief coverage in Rifts: Dinosaur Swamp. you have weird mud-monsters living in the service tunnels.

personally, i could see a tribe of dbee's living in the ruins.. in chaos earth they might be salvaging items from the place to build a community.

In my manuscript, they were originally Ratlings along those same lines. (Obvious, really. Mice-men living at Disney World...cough...) Kevin changed them to the mud-men "things" because he was all squirrelly at the time about keeping the IP from the game lines separate because of the "OMG AWESOMESAUCE coming soon" Rifts movie.
Insert 400 character limit here.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Little Snuzzles wrote:
abe wrote:what sort of things/creatures w/could you find in old/damaged amusement parks?

Here's what I'd put in my game:

Haunting Child - Dinosaur Swamp, pg.29
Caterpillar Men - Madhaven, pg. 92
Conglomerate Entity - Madhaven, pg. 117
Necrophim & Soul Snake - Psyscape, pg. 104
Air Fish - Wormwood, pg. 119
Worm Wraith - New West, pg. 168
Giant Clamp-Mouth Dragonfly - Rifts: England, pg. 61
Were-Dragon - Splynn Dimensional Market, pg. 97
Sparklits - Dimensional Outbreak, pg. 169
The Thin Ones - Rifts: Dark Conversions, pg. 40
Death Weaver Spiders - Rifts: Dark Conversions, pg. 97 (from Vampire Kingdoms 1)
Slitherers - Rifts: Dark Conversions, pg. 141 (from Nightbane)

Great ideas, may have to steal some of these for my next game......need something to freak them out a little :twisted:
The Dragon Has Spoken
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

West World...the events taking place concurrently with the Coming of the Rifts...

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

slade the sniper wrote:West World...the events taking place concurrently with the Coming of the Rifts...

-STS

Damn Right
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Any more thoughts?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Could see a group of marauders human or otherwise using it as a base. It would likely have its own power, water and other resources. Food could be grown or looted...plenty of candy and such as well.

-Mages (Kid mages or older ones have warded the place to keep out some demons and monsters.)
-Mercenaries
-Soldiers
-a Would-be-world conqueror and his minions. Could be extra dimensional or a human seeking to take advantage of the Chaos.
-A Military unit of some type reinforcing it and staying put until its safer to move. (think the mansion in 28 days that had the military unit, only with a house of mirrors.)
-Depending on the theme Robotic or actual animals might also be present.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I could see some evil demonand its minions using an amusement park as a trap. luring adventurers and wandering travelers alike to thier doom. maybe using the rides to feed off their PPE/ISP. a magical effect has to be saved against 3 times aday to see if the enchantment of the park keeps the victims there or if they feel a sudden need to flee. those who run will be hunted down and eaten.

this way the old theme park has a second life.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Icefalcon
Champion

Turn it into a den of the Lotus Eaters.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

what sort of weapons/armor could be made from amusement park pieces?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Icefalcon
Champion

abe wrote:what sort of weapons/armor could be made from amusement park pieces?

Depends on what you have available for tools. It could be anything from steel turned into sword to pneumatic guns to homemade tasers.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

abe wrote:what sort of weapons/armor could be made from amusement park pieces?

if the rides used MDC matierials as someone pointed out (aside from crazy tall rides not possible with SDC)
it would not surprise me to find them using something similar to rail gun technology to launch the coasters, you may need to cut a lot track out of the way to get to the heart of it, and it could be large and under powered compared to a full on rail gun, but to launch a MDC coaster that probably sat a lot of people and needed to launch really high probably has a pretty strong punch to it

although i would think the very smallest it could probably be cut down to would be to mount it on a large vehicle , and more likely as a base defence cannon for anyone who took up residence in the park
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

It will also be varied with the condition of the metal after hundreds of years of decay. Or maybe its sitting in the heart of a nexus point and the metal has become a conductor of PPE and rendering it magical.

PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:It will also be varied with the condition of the metal after hundreds of years of decay. Or maybe its sitting in the heart of a nexus point and the metal has become a conductor of PPE and rendering it magical.

i don't have the base book with me (though did just get the other books in the mail) doesn't chaos earth only really count the first decade or so after the cataclysm?
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the conditions within the CE book would actually only last a year or so.. after that most of the volcano's will have settled down to quieter activity or have gone back to being dormant, and the majority of the ash will have fallen out of the sky. what left would just cause the '80 year winter' described in some of the rifts worldbooks, most likely comparable to the "little ice age" that effected the globe from the 15th century to the early 19th.. long cold winters, short cool summers.

but many in this thread seem to be forgetting that the question in relation to Chaos Earth, not rifts.. in CE there has not been enough time for culture to have collapsed and the history forgotten in a way that creates barbarian tribes that talk of 'the before time' and worship the animatronics.

in CE use of amusement parks needs to be with the assumption one of four groups is using it..
Survivors, NEMA/government troops, D-bee refugees, and 'Demons'. all of which are likely to see it more as shelter/hunting grounds, and not as a place of worship in its self. (any religion going on would be unrelated to the park itself)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

A huge number of entities that have 'reopened' the park...with all the people that died there.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

actually I think the Ash clouds will last longer than a year. the sunlight will be diminished for years. I personally run CE to last at least a couple decades, with the human race fighting to just barely survive.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Lt Gargoyle wrote:actually I think the Ash clouds will last longer than a year. the sunlight will be diminished for years. I personally run CE to last at least a couple decades, with the human race fighting to just barely survive.

the problem with that is that anything longer than 6 months and the oceanic food chain collapses, and you get mass extinctions. anything over a year and pretty much nothing survives on land either. plants don't do well going without sunlight that long, much less the super-winter stuff. and when the plants die off, the animals follow quickly.

since 200 years later earth isn't a totally dead world, or totally replaced by alien species with no native stuff left, i think we can assume the ash clouds didn't last that long.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:actually I think the Ash clouds will last longer than a year. the sunlight will be diminished for years. I personally run CE to last at least a couple decades, with the human race fighting to just barely survive.

the problem with that is that anything longer than 6 months and the oceanic food chain collapses, and you get mass extinctions. anything over a year and pretty much nothing survives on land either. plants don't do well going without sunlight that long, much less the super-winter stuff. and when the plants die off, the animals follow quickly.

since 200 years later earth isn't a totally dead world, or totally replaced by alien species with no native stuff left, i think we can assume the ash clouds didn't last that long.

Actually the Rifts can be a great source of life both animal and plant life. With that said the earth has survived several mega volcano in its past. I imagine that the world will survive no matter what happens. it would just take a while to recover.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

except that again, the base ecosystem is the same as pre-rifts. its not totally alien. its not totally shifted around due to alternate earths opening to other spots on the globe and colonizing there. Africa is still Africa, north America is still north America, etc. we can't rely on the rifts for this because the rifts are totally random. if the earth died then got recolonized, the resulting ecosystems would also be totally random. and we know that humans survived in cities and various other exposed places. if earth had died, so would the entire human race on earth, from oxygen deprivation and starvation. the human populations have direct historical ties to pre-rifts earth, ergo they didn't die out, ergo earth didn't die. meaning that the nasty conditions in the CS book had to last less than a year.

not to mention cloud cover like that means greenhouse effect in the long term. we'd fry, not freeze. so the "80 year winter" itself indicates that the darkness couldn't have lasted that long.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

when the last mega volcano blew it diminished the sunlight by 25% for a a decade. And it was recorded. Sorry I do not know the name of it. just that it was off one of the islands. I did not say it would freeze. nor that the world died out. I am saying it help to bring chaos and anarchy to the already turbulent situation. I do not see this stuff dying out after a short year. though i will grant you, anyone going through that year will not think it short.

abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

would the line-wizards use the mascot costumes left behind for survival purposes?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

abe wrote:would the line-wizards use the mascot costumes left behind for survival purposes?

doubt it.. those things are heavy, stifling, and hard to move in.

but most parks would have emergency gear (for their own firefighters, EMT's, etc) that would be useful. and the giftshops could be raided for cleaner clothes, winter jackets, etc.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
abe wrote:would the line-wizards use the mascot costumes left behind for survival purposes?

but most parks would have emergency gear (for their own firefighters, EMT's, etc) that would be useful. and the giftshops could be raided for cleaner clothes, winter jackets, etc.

What about the other types of wizards? (You know, chaos wizards & such. )
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

abe wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

What about the other types of wizards? (You know, chaos wizards & such. )

Well you could make the Furry mage, But I have to agree. I doubt anyone would really want to use costumes to fight in, they are uncomfortable at best. and they diminish ones ability to hear and see.

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I have to go with zombies. And if one of your PC's is desperately looking for the last surviving Twinkies even better.

I do agree with some of the above though. Though would be a great place to scavenge for the basics of food, clothing, and medicine.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”