So how did your city fare?

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Re: So how did your city fare?

Unread post by Chronicle »

Cleveland became queens harbor :)
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

A small nondescript town in SW Indiana...Swallowed up by the magic zone. No real detail given in the books. Though seeing as how the ENTIRE town sits over top of underground coal mines, any significant seismic activity would cause the whole region to collapse into a massive sink hole. Chances aren't good. Seeing as how we're roughly 5 hours east of the St. Louis rift, chances are even worse.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Florida... Glub glub, glub....
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Hampton Roads 'with the fishes'.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Lord Death
Explorer

Unread post by Lord Death »

Denver under ash an snow
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

An hour's drive west of what will someday be Lazlo.

Probably safe from flooding & eathquake...but the erruption of ley lines which "run thick" along the shore of Lake Ontario are likely to flatten the town. Since it's December, my family and I starve to death as we try to make it northward to my in-laws (unless, of course, my daughter's latent magic powers are awakened...)
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I'm in a small farming city/community about 1.5 hours west of what will be Lazlo. I think this place will be turned into ruins.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Ottawa. Rioting, looting and collapse of society. By the time of Rifts it is a small "lawless town" of about 3,000 wild men and D-bees. Still, at least it wasn't built over a super-volcano or smashed by tsunamis.
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

I'm in Lazlo ...... I mean I can walk to the valley where it will be founded :)
And I have plans in place on where to go and how to stay alive.......
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

1.5 hours south of what will become Tolkeen. Looks like I might survive.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

For my hometown, Ozone Park New York (a part of Queens), tsunami's would have meant very little hope of survival- and whoever did would eventually become Madhaven mutants.

As for my current town, Natick Massachusetts, not sure really. It's about 15 miles west of Boston, and that town is bye-bye in the same manner as NYC and most of the East Coast. I guess there is a slightly better chance that this town would have survived the initial destruction.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I live in SE WA and have the Cascade volcanoes to the West of me and Yellowstone to the East. I doubt its going to be a good day in my neighborhood.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

New York City is the worst hit by the Cataclysm. Several buildings fall, cascading down onto the streets of Manhattan; those that did not completely collapse, leaned against & prop up a few others in some mockery of destruction. The day the Cataclysm hit, the city's populace was an all-time record: ten million souls. Tourists, day-traders, families, sightseers, locals, and more, died in the madness, while others were trampled by the fleeing mobs or simply murdered by those driven insane.
Lady Liberty was a mute witness when the wave that struck, engulfing her up to her very chin. The groan of her structure, almost human-like, was heard for MILES. But somehow she still stands.
Staten Island bore the brunt of the tsunami, washed clean by the water's forces. Later, survivors & explorers told tales of the bleakness of whole former residential areas literally leveled to ground level.

Almost half of Queens is subsumed in the tsunami that rises out at sea & strikes the southern coastline of the borough. Coney Island literally vanishes under the wave that crashes down. The famous Wonder Wheel of Astroland Park buckles & eventually is swept inland like a cast-off toy of a petulant child. The Cyclone, having stood for over a century, shatters like so much kindling. Few structures survive, if any. The trestles that once supported the subway trains wash away like wet sand, sweeping on-track trains along for the ride to oblivion. A few of the domiciles actually survive intact; many homes that were bought out cheaply & replaced by 2- & 3-story apartment 'homes' remain standing with nothing more than shattered windows, while older homes that were simply patched-repaired over the decades or illegally converted to multiple apartments are erased in seconds.

But the worst to come wasn't when the waters finally retreated. When the bodies of those swept up were left to decompose in the daylight, scattered for miles. Crushed & imploded cars were piled up like so much flotsam as far as Atlantic Terminal and the Staples Concert Center. Even the survivors, reduced to scavenging and rading for a soggy uncooked hotdog weren't as bad.

It was the monsters. Nightmares on wings, raptor's-legs, hooves, spider-bodies, and more, fangs and claws, fire and blood, weird magic-like energy and weapons of living, screaming bone and worse.....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

LA gone.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

South-Central Michigan, about an hour west of Ann Arbor. Right in heavy Ley Line territory. I'm probably screwed.
SittingBull
Hero

Lord_Coake wrote:Omaha. Far enough away from Yellowstone that we might survive and right smack in the middle of the miswest "dead zone" where ley-lines fear to tred.

Current CE game is based in and around it.

Go go google maps. ^^
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Tiny farm town in south-east Iowa. Thoroughly decimated due to the major earthquake zone south of here, and then buried under 6 feet of ash because we are directly in the jet stream flow.
However, if the local Amish survived, a century later the soil would be so rich in nutrients that it would grow almost anything.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Kovoston wrote:Florida... Glub glub, glub....

Yup........exactly where i live
The Dragon Has Spoken
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Well, speaking on my end, with the recent storms we've had (like Hurricane/'Super-Storm' Sandy), it wasn't that hard to picture what I described. I also remember a few hypothetical disaster programs that detailed what would happen if a Tsunami hit New York. It would funnel right in. After that, sprinkle a little imagination & voila'.
Glad I could contribute. ;-)
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

BRONX NEW YORK tsunami's would have meant very little hope of survival- and whoever did would eventually become Madhaven mutants.
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Shawn Merrow wrote:I live in SE WA and have the Cascade volcanoes to the West of me and Yellowstone to the East. I doubt its going to be a good day in my neighborhood.

I also live in a basin and we have air problems from wildfires during the summer when all that crud gets trapped here. I'm sure with all those volcanoes going off in the Cascades the air quality will become rather dangerous for a few days at least.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Charlotte NC survives to become the barbarian infested jewel of the Dinosaur Swamp.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

ZINO wrote:BRONX NEW YORK tsunami's would have meant very little hope of survival- and whoever did would eventually become Madhaven mutants.

Huh, that seems... familiar! :ok: :lol:
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Calgary, Alberta. Says it all... :-(
Last edited by Oberoth on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

notafraid2die wrote:
Oberoth wrote:Calgary, Alberta. Says it all...

What a bummer. :erm:

Yea. Even if I had survived the initial earthquakes and ash clouds, I surely would have perished when that ginormous rift opened up. :nh:
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

Chi-Town!!! (by way of Elmhurst, Illinois.) I'd say better than fifty-fifty...
:bandit: 8-)
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Biggest permanent rift. The first 1 or 2 weeks St. Louis is told to be pretty stable compared to most places. So if I could get out in that time, might be able to live. After the Arch becomes the gate. So long...
SittingBull
Hero

Notafraid2die, now that sounds like a movie! ^^

Actually that would be an AWESOME 30 minute mini-movie at the beginning of a Rifts movie taking place around Saint Louis. With time the huge block of time passing between the two.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:A small nondescript town in SW Indiana...Swallowed up by the magic zone. No real detail given in the books. Though seeing as how the ENTIRE town sits over top of underground coal mines, any significant seismic activity would cause the whole region to collapse into a massive sink hole. Chances aren't good. Seeing as how we're roughly 5 hours east of the St. Louis rift, chances are even worse.

Just checked the map in RMB. The blue area's that indicate heavy magic activity basically make a circle around my entire home county, but take out everything surrounding me. What the heck? What makes my little chunk of the world so special that it get's left out, while everything around it is suddenly magical? It's discrimination I tell you.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Hound
Wanderer

Unread post by Hound »

Philadelphia- basically i'm fish food! I ran a CE campaign years ago with some friends that lived near Three Mile Island, according to rough map estimates the Tidal Waves never reached that far inland so we started there. There was a massive Flotsam "Wall" stretching accross the horizon and the reactor complex (which was still working then.. but converted to clean Fusion.. GM privledge!) had... vanished to be replaced by a massive Fairie Ring/Stone Circle- but it was still sending out power to the area somehow. My PCs and the tiny NEMA garrison protected that a bit before striking Westward... Then there was that dragon and the Necromancer nursery...
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Look at giant wall of water is heading towards me, well this is going to suck.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

Hometown is Asheville (Ash). So I'll be in a fade town if I moved back there before 2098. Currently living in Ho Chi Minh City so I have to wait for Rifts Southeast Asia to come out in 2040 to see what happens :)
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Well I work about 30 minutes east from Toronto, (add another 15 minutes east to that if I'm home). So I might be ok, as long as the power plants don't explode at Darlington or Pickering *fingers crossed and praying*
I don't think my city is mentioned anywhere in the books unless you count the one piece of art. In Rifts Canada they show a picture of some D-Bee trading post, you see a bumper sticker or something on the front of the counter. It either has Osha or shawa or something to that effect, someone help me out here been a while since I read that book? Either way it stands for Oshawa, which is where I live, and I assume that means that someone survived and trekked out to the trading post and left it there, that or Ramon just put it there as a joke, maybe he was still living there at the time. :mrgreen:

Wait I forgot, everyone on the boards claim that art isn't "canon", I'm doooooommmmmed! :lol:
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Braden Campbell wrote:An hour's drive west of what will someday be Lazlo.

Probably safe from flooding & eathquake...but the erruption of ley lines which "run thick" along the shore of Lake Ontario are likely to flatten the town. Since it's December, my family and I starve to death as we try to make it northward to my in-laws (unless, of course, my daughter's latent magic powers are awakened...)

I'll go with you and we can get the other poor canadians in this thread too. if they die we can always use their bodies to lure animals in and kill the animals...err did I say out loud??
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Razzinold wrote:Well I work about 30 minutes east from Toronto, (add another 15 minutes east to that if I'm home). So I might be ok, as long as the power plants don't explode at Darlington or Pickering *fingers crossed and praying*
I don't think my city is mentioned anywhere in the books unless you count the one piece of art. In Rifts Canada they show a picture of some D-Bee trading post, you see a bumper sticker or something on the front of the counter. It either has Osha or shawa or something to that effect, someone help me out here been a while since I read that book? Either way it stands for Oshawa, which is where I live, and I assume that means that someone survived and trekked out to the trading post and left it there, that or Ramon just put it there as a joke, maybe he was still living there at the time. :mrgreen:

Wait I forgot, everyone on the boards claim that art isn't "canon", I'm doooooommmmmed! :lol:

The pickering plant is offline now..just don't die or you'll be bait for the few wild animals left...:P
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:LA gone.

Guess this means the same for the antelope valley? I want to check this game out eventually.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Kryptt wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:LA gone.

Guess this means the same for the antelope valley? I want to check this game out eventually.

Back in the day our GM ran a pretty cool game. We were an elite scouting parting sent ahead of the main convoy that was heading out. Our job was to report back an hostile activity, possible ambush sites, etc. and to secure supplies for the convoy.

I was the commando OCC (M-Spec or something like that) and I ended up getting a pair of bionic legs part way through the game.

It's a fun setting, you should definitely try it out.
jbalsle
D-Bee

Unread post by jbalsle »

Denver.

Supposedly the Yellowstone Caldera is going full VEI-8 within a day of the onset of the event. 10m of ashfall, anyone?

So...if I'm still alive in 2098, and there's any hints of laser reflective battlesuits packing huge railguns destroying a third world city anywhere near 2090, I'm gonna move. I'm thinking Luna City on the Moon will be nice this time of year. :D
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I believe the northern Bay area of cali will be wiped clean of all life.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

I am in sw Washington near Portland, Oregon so assuming the volcanoes earthquakes and tidal waves I might be ok.... but I doubt it
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

ManOfAction wrote:An hour and a half north of Lazlo, sheltered harbour town on southern Georgian Bay, Nothing but smooth sailing until the raiding parties/pirates come to rape and pillage our farming community. next door we have Midland Ontario home of an optics factory for the military might of had some M.D. structures to fall back on.

Maybe the Angels of Penetanguishene will protect the town from the worst that the coming of the Rifts has to offer. Plus, the Naval and Military establishments have a couple of tall ships for defense against pirates.
tgunner91
Explorer

Unread post by tgunner91 »

I would assume that my home town of Decatur, AL would survive to some degree or another. It and the nearby city of Hunstville become the core of Golden Age Weaponsmiths. In my Chaos Earth campaign my players are the remains of a NEMA unit stationed at Redstone Arsenal. That campaign will set-up my Rifts campaign, set in the same area, where the heros find the remains of the Arsenal and become the folks who help to establish G.A. Weaponsmiths.

How much of Decatur/Huntsville survives will be decided by the Chaos Earth campaign!
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

I live outside of trenton newjersey . . .so not very well but it could be worse
Acid0philus
D-Bee

Unread post by Acid0philus »

Atlanta burned from riots and an earthquake with it's aftershocks (as of 2014, the faultline the city sits on/near is 300+ years overdue for a quake). I was born there, and grew up in Blue Ridge, Georgia, on the state frontiers of Ga, Tn, and NC... Fadetownville...

Personally, I was hoping Yoho would not have had Atlanta burn a second time.... Oh, well...
There was no Chaos Earth category, so I got stuck with a Chromium Guardsman, er, Glitterboy... <.<
Transcendence
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Transcendence »

Tucson, AZ. Lease I Know NEMA will have a huge presence at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. I figure they will have the SAMAS equivalent of Angel Thunder and the A-10's. Hope we survive those big nukes pointed at the Silos and Boneyards.

-Jim
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Unread post by Tags »

Hmmmm well seeing as Palladium has been annoyingly silent on the state of Pa. It would be difficult to say. No major fault lines near Pittsburgh, maybe a small quiet one, far from the coast... I suspect down town would suffer, the surrounding neighborhoods would probably fare better, I assume there would be damage but most of the surrounding neighborhoods are not as built up. Rivers would probably surge but that would likely only effect the neighborhoods on the water.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
TechnoGolem
D-Bee

Unread post by TechnoGolem »

I live in central North Dakota. If the world wide earthquakes are severe enough it would turn the soil here into a near liquid state which would cause the houses to sink. Then they would be buried under 15 feet of ash so things would not go well for me. Especially when you factor in the breathing difficulties all of that ash would cause. I'd say my chances of survival are extremely low.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I'm out of the bay area and in Southern Oregon. My Kin in Norcal are all out of the Tsunami zones so they should be fine.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
camk4evr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by camk4evr »

I live in the Vancouver area of BC and judgung by the way the coast looks like and knowing that the city I'm in needs dykes to keep the water out, I'd say it is looking to be mighty wet where I live. Casualties would likely approach 100%.
May contain peanuts
-warning I saw on a pack of Peanut Butter M&Ms
burgler81
Explorer

Unread post by burgler81 »

I live in Green valley, AZ. I'll probably be able to survive for a while.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”