So how did your city fare?

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

Re: So how did your city fare?

Unread post by RockJock »

I'm in the Magic Zone, near the TN/KY border. Best hope is that enough of the rednecks around gain powers (magic, or psychic) to hold out for awhile. I'm part Cherokee, so maybe that would help me. Who knows, we might be some of the founders of Psyscape.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Froward Firimar
D-Bee

Unread post by Froward Firimar »

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Top edge of the Prairies. Middle of the continent. Covered in Ice and Snow with ash mixed in.

Kind of an average Christmas but with forest fires.

We all good ;)
saskrifts.webs.com
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Long Island fares about the same as the rest of the New York inlet; Fire Island & Jones Beach, holding their biggest concerts in history at that moment, are subsumed by the far end of the tsunami that hit the city proper, with the added bonus of water traveling from the strike that hit Queens flowing right through Nassau county and smacking into itself like a pair of open hands closing in a single clap. The sound rolls across the island like a pulled zipper-line, deafening all in it's path before being crushed by the two halves as it travels almost at an angle north-northeast, gouging land, homes and everything else in it's path. although the wave does eventually end by the time it hits the north-shore area of StonyBrook, the University there is not spared devastation from the sound-clap; it travels far past that point well into Vermont.
Like that of Manhattan and Queens, the worst part came after, as the demons, the nightmarish creatures, the insane, and far, FAR worse swarmed through the wreckage......
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

Well I live in Richmond kentucky....and was born in dayton Ohio.... both of which are in the magic zone if I am not mastaken. Now as a practising druid I might well be ok. and I think we would only be under about half a metter of ash and in farm contry wonce the wenter ended we should be haveing bumper corps...
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
OCT93
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by OCT93 »

Gwinn/KI Sawyer Michigan, an hour away from what is Ishpeming, Northern Gun...so I'm guessing pretty well.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Jasper, Alberta.

Nestled in a mountain valley, it is possible that it could survive the Great Cataclysm without too much trouble. While there is some minor volcanic activity in the area (hot springs about an hour drive away), it is unknown if it would erupt as a full blown volcano. Even the Yellowstone eruption isn't likely to put much ash into the area as the prevailing winds could push most of that to the east (weather here can be a little unpredictable). Though there is likely to be some geological upheavals (the Rockies of Rifts are supposedly higher than they were before the Cataclysm), it is unknown just how much will be in the area.

Food may be a problem as there isn't much farming in the area (national park), but there is plenty of game animals to hunt, so that probably wouldn't be too big of a problem.

The biggest problem is likely to be from the Ley Lines themselves as the Rocky Mountains are supposedly thick with them. I don't know of any places near by with any kind of mystic significance so it is possible we are sufficiently far enough from any for them to be an immediate problem... but it is likely that there will be an influx of monstrous or demonic beings... or at least regular raids. Unfortunately, do to being inside a national park, the likelihood of having advanced weaponry to defend ourselves is slim.

The mountains will likely hide us from major threats, such as the rifts in Calgary (about 5 or 6 hours away by car along roads that are likely impassible during these upheavals)... at least for a time. As with other supernatural threats, there will likely be raids by the demons from there in the years to come.

That said, it is possible that Jasper survives the Coming of the Rifts... due to the relatively isolated area in which it is in. The people will likely adopt a more primitive... hunter/gatherer existence at least until a decent spring comes to allow for farming. Raids by some monsters and such will likely be brutal, but possibly not completely devastating. Without access to high technology, it is possible that people may learn to rely on magic and psionics... given that the area is likely rich with magic (even if ley lines aren't that close).

Not sure exactly when the Cyber-Knights (or at least Lord Coake) or the Cyber-Centaurs of Ixion appear, but rumors put the appearance of both relatively close (the latter in BC, while the former was likely somewhere along the Rockies... probably a little further south though). Not sure what the Jasper survivors would be like by this time... if they have managed to create some sort of settlement or abandoned the townsite for a nomadic existence... but with the arrival of these potential allies to the area, the chances of a permanent settlement (or staging area/listening post against Calgary) is reasonably good.

In short, while Jasper will likely suffer just as much as any other area on the planet... it is possible that it could weather the storm... at least for a time. Would it make it to the Post Apocalyptic Calendar and be a thriving community in Rifts Earth? Unknown... but possibly.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Flattened, then drowned in ash.

Keokuk, IA. Southeast tip of the state. First we get flattened by a mystically enhanced quake from the fault line south of here, and then we get buried under fifty feet of ash.

Humorously, my mom's place, about 25 miles NE of here, along the southern end of the already hyper-fertile farm zone, wouldn't really have to worry about the quake (barring Act of God stuff), and the region is salted with underground shelters from the 1950's. Their survival depends on how long the fimbrul winter lasts.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

My hometown's got a Marine Reserve Center, so there's the possibility of some NEMA firepower being stocked there...on the other hand, it's right in the middle of Connecticut...either the monster hordes liberated by the deaths of the big cities around us get us, fleeing refugees strip the place clean, or the local terrain channels the Atlantis tidal wave up and over us.... :(
Been nice knowing you guys...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

San Bernardino less 100 miles LA; Gone
Andriod
D-Bee

Unread post by Andriod »

Bayonne, NJ

Judging from the Madhaven book, some remnants survive, probably just buildings inundated by the flood.
Campaign Blog for Steel and Chaos:
http://steelandchaos.postach.io/

A small detachment of NEMA doctors makes their way from Mt. Weather Virginia to relieve the depleted hospitals of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

Oklahoma City.

There's basically nothing written anywhere about what happened to the cities of the Great Plains. We just know they're gone. There are no ley lines around, no real major fault lines, we're decently far from Yellowstone, and the ocean is nowhere near us. And yet, there's still nothing here by the time of Rifts.

I'm guessing super-tornadoes. Massive super-tornadoes 50 miles wide with 1000 mph wind.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

i'm just north of Vancouver wa, which means most likely, fire, volcano's tsunami's and if we survive all that ... eventually the reachers of the deep likely clean up, although it might not be as bad as I am thinking but its likely pretty bad.
BookWyrm
Champion

(Just revisiting this thread, had a further idea.....)
Beyond the eastern most reaches of Long island, well past Islip, Northport & Bohemia, the waters seemed to lose much of their initial strength. Most homes suffer damage but do not collapse, thanks to reinforcements & rebuilds from several previous storms that did similar but not as intense damage. Surprising, those living in Montauk & the Hamptons not only survived, but provided aide for those fleeing refugees that made it that far.
Then the monsters came. As they swept through the towns, destroying & killing, a number of newly-minted psychics and magic-wielders coalesced into a loose 'defense force', using the very energies used by the nightmares against them. This gave some stalwart citizens the chance to fight back, using whatever was available. At first, it seemed too little, too late...but soon the evil onslaught began to be routed. A significant victory at the besieged town of Mastic-Shirley, by the combined forces of local police, National Guard reservists, ordinary citizenry, psychics and magic-users, routed a sizable cluster of demons and drove them clear of the town. Word spread quickly to the other towns, and soon they formed their own 'Auxiliary Divisions', named after the citizen police force.
What surprised many, even out as far as Montauk, that the vacationing 'glitterati' that owned the palatial homes out on the Island opened their doors and shared their homes with the fleeing & wounded, converting their expensive mansions reserved only for spectacular parties into makeshift hospitals, shelters and defensive fortifications. Stored foods were quickly re-distributed to the needy, 'concierge' or private doctors gladly volunteered their services, and fishermen braved the now dangerous waters for resources.
Despite the loss of electricity, many of the towns and people weathered the apparent apocalypse intact.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

... only to have their descendants enslaved by the Splugorth a century later. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I'm originally from New England so everything there is gone, I also lived in Denver and up by the ski resorts in the mountains along the I-70 corridor. I also found out the Buffalo mountain in Silverthorne, Colorado is also a volcano (currently dormant) so in addition to Yellowstone, Buffalo would obliterate the I-70 corridor and the mountain communities along with it. According to the book NORAD was wiped out by the Yellowstone eruption, but even assuming it survived there's the demon invasion to deal with too.
(Let's not forget the NINE eruptions along the west coast as well).
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
BookWyrm
Champion

Braden Campbell wrote:... only to have their descendants enslaved by the Splugorth a century later. ;)

Sadly true. A few of the offspring of the Hamptons 'glitterati', raised on horrific stories of the first days of survival, and some witnessing first hand further assaults, made secret contact with a few Splugorth Slaver teams, offering to trade the 'rank & file' for a recapturing of their ancestors' "rightful ascendance" on the social food chain. The Slaver Lords quickly agreed.....
Then swept in & enslaved everyone. Those that resisted were blasted to gooey clouds of red paste, and they were the fortunate. The rest that showed any marketable value were quickly enslaved & sent off to the markets.
What few towns stood against the Apocalypse not a century before were quickly taken, gutted, stripped and left to rot. Eastern Long island is nothing more than a overgrown, forgotten zone of forgotten times, with a few patrols of various dee-bees trying to ferret out any feral humans & wildlife to relieve the boredom of having to sweep through the areas.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
ardashir
Wanderer

Unread post by ardashir »

Tags wrote:Hmmmm well seeing as Palladium has been annoyingly silent on the state of Pa. It would be difficult to say. No major fault lines near Pittsburgh, maybe a small quiet one, far from the coast... I suspect down town would suffer, the surrounding neighborhoods would probably fare better, I assume there would be damage but most of the surrounding neighborhoods are not as built up. Rivers would probably surge but that would likely only effect the neighborhoods on the water.

A Pennsylvania boy myself here. There's a small fault line that runs right through Crystal Cave in the Lehigh Valley area. I've seen the thing on a tour. As far as rifts and ley lines, Hawk Mountain has enough weird legends and used to be seen by the Lenni Lenape Indians as being the bridge between this world and the spirit world. So it sounds to me like a nexus. I'd use it that way in a game, anyway.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

OCT93 wrote:Gwinn/KI Sawyer Michigan, an hour away from what is Ishpeming, Northern Gun...so I'm guessing pretty well.

I grew up in Delta County. Between Ishpeming, Escanaba, and Manistique, I'd probably be OK if I still lived there.

Alas, I'm now in the Twin Cities. Still gonna be rough, but given Tolkeen, probably survivable.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Magic Zone. I live in a suburb of Columbus OH, which is about a 55-minute drive north of Kingston, OH...apparently the future site of Dweomer...
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

I currently live in a small town about an hour east of Reno, NV called Fallon. I think we are far enough away from most things that the odds of surviving are pretty good but I am not sure. lol
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Highlord
D-Bee

Unread post by Highlord »

A city of 30,000 people in eastern Nebraska. According to the books, Rift activity was actually pretty minor in the Midwest, so that's good. On the other hand, that's where the waves of refugees, and the things preying on them, would go.

I imagine my town would go the way of a lot of small towns you see and read about in the Fallout universe. They survive, but bereft from outside assistance they're crushed under the weight of the crisis.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”