Right after the start of Chaos Earth

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Right after the start of Chaos Earth

Unread post by SittingBull »

I was going to throw some players into Chaos Earth RIGHT after the disaster started. Then I stopped cause I couldn't picture (GM block?) anyplace (in the US) that wouldnt be 20-40 feet under ash very quickly. Do MDC armors, power armors, and vehicles have sophisticated enough intakes to not be affected by volcanic ash?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: Right after the start of Chaos Earth

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

According to page 21 of CE, it's just a 300 mile radius around the Yellowstone epicenter that has that much ash - everywhere else has just 1-6 feet.

Page 21 also says the ash "clogs the engines of vehicles and machinery" but that's the extant of what the book says as far as I know.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

According to the book, by January 22, 2099 (only one month after the cataclysm) the Silver Eagles and other aircraft are grounded due to falling ash and bitter winter conditions. The book also mentions that there will be no summer in 2099 due to the conditions, and Rifts: Warlords of Russia mentions an 80 year mini ice-age. So this would put many, many power armors and vehicles out of commission.

Now, if I were running the game, I would have a period of several weeks where the power-armor and robot pilots were having to constantly take breaks to exit their armor, and remove/clean or even replace their air filters due to the ash. But gradually, repairs and innovations are made to existing technology to allow them to function better in the new environment. Sort of like how the Snow Speeders in Empire Strikes Back were taking some time to be modified to the cold, so too would be the NEMA equipment.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i would point out that for ~99% of that 80 year iceage, there would be no ash problem. as discussed in this thread, the volcanic eruptions producing that ash could not last for very long, relatively speaking, and that the trubesome ash found have fallen out of the atmosphere within a couple of weeks after the end of the eruptions. (just look at the recent Iceland eruption for example)

so during that 80 year ice age, the skies will be clear of ash.

that said, most conventional aircraft will have been adandoned, since they can't be used for the first month or two, and the resources needed to protect them and maintain them could be better used elsewhere. those that didn't get abandoned, or which were later recovered when the skies cleared, would cease to be useful fairly quickly, since aircraft are complex machines needing a lot of maintence and spare parts.. two things that would be in short supply during the immediate post-cataclysm. so once the skies clear up, you would see airsupport make a small comeback, but not in any large numbers nor for permanently.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

I brought up the grounding of power armor and aircraft not only because the entry mentioned ash, but also the "bitter winter conditions". There may be problems in conventional weather conditions like extreme cold, snow/hail/freezing rain, high winds, etc., just as any modern aircraft might have.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

The books states that Hong Kong only gets a dusting of ash several inches deep, but I suppose that's not fitting with a U.S. based adventure. :)

As I see it, the real problem with the ash is that it buries everything it touches and collapses buildings so even after the skies clear survivors will be in a perpetual state of having to excavate if they want most things that aren't poking out of the ash layer (and likely already scavenged). There should be enough to eke out a bleak existence, but anything that would enable you to thrive would take dedicated resources to obtain because under that ash layer (even if it is relatively thin) there's still all the rubble and debris from the cataclysm.

Regarding intakes, the sand skimmer from WB4: Africa is a pre-Rifts design that utilizes lice-sized robots to remove sand deposits from joints, intakes and other sensitive components. It is either a Triax or an Israeli designed system and since they would have probably still been American allies, I would think NEMA would have access to that technology as well.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
SittingBull
Hero

filo_clarke wrote:According to the book, by January 22, 2099 (only one month after the cataclysm) the Silver Eagles and other aircraft are grounded due to falling ash and bitter winter conditions. The book also mentions that there will be no summer in 2099 due to the conditions, and Rifts: Warlords of Russia mentions an 80 year mini ice-age. So this would put many, many power armors and vehicles out of commission.

Now, if I were running the game, I would have a period of several weeks where the power-armor and robot pilots were having to constantly take breaks to exit their armor, and remove/clean or even replace their air filters due to the ash. But gradually, repairs and innovations are made to existing technology to allow them to function better in the new environment. Sort of like how the Snow Speeders in Empire Strikes Back were taking some time to be modified to the cold, so too would be the NEMA equipment.

Cheers, good comparison.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

Grell wrote:The books states that Hong Kong only gets a dusting of ash several inches deep, but I suppose that's not fitting with a U.S. based adventure. :)

As I see it, the real problem with the ash is that it buries everything it touches and collapses buildings so even after the skies clear survivors will be in a perpetual state of having to excavate if they want most things that aren't poking out of the ash layer (and likely already scavenged). There should be enough to eke out a bleak existence, but anything that would enable you to thrive would take dedicated resources to obtain because under that ash layer (even if it is relatively thin) there's still all the rubble and debris from the cataclysm.

Regarding intakes, the sand skimmer from WB4: Africa is a pre-Rifts design that utilizes lice-sized robots to remove sand deposits from joints, intakes and other sensitive components. It is either a Triax or an Israeli designed system and since they would have probably still been American allies, I would think NEMA would have access to that technology as well.

Inches is very different than 20+ feet of ash. :shock:
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

So did Nema just stay hidden, pretty much, when the ash, erruptions, earthquakes, and shorelines disappearing?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

No, NEMA is at the forefront of the action and suffers greatly for it. They respond to every call for help and local disaster that they're ever dwindling manpower will allow them to. They definitely don't stay hidden even though it will be to their detriment in the long run.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
SittingBull
Hero

Grell wrote:No, NEMA is at the forefront of the action and suffers greatly for it. They respond to every call for help and local disaster that they're ever dwindling manpower will allow them to. They definitely don't stay hidden even though it will be to their detriment in the long run.

So was it like fighting in a grey blizzard/snowfall?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Basically. General Sawyer's journal talks at length about the choking conditions, bad visibility and how disorienting the general setting of it all is. Do you have the core book?

SittingBull
Hero

Grell wrote:Basically. General Sawyer's journal talks at length about the choking conditions, bad visibility and how disorienting the general setting of it all is. Do you have the core book?

Yes, Im going to sit and give it a complete read shortly, and thank you.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

It's my favorite setting, I hope you enjoy the read!

SittingBull
Hero

Grell wrote:It's my favorite setting, I hope you enjoy the read!

I do really like it. I am thinking of taking a small group of players from rifts back to this period. Change the feel of the game.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

It is a very desperate setting. It would be an effective shock especially for characters that are used to adequate logistical support and not being seen by their fellow sentient beings as food more often than not. :)

I like running for characters of the golden age and I like a human centered approach, giving them the opportunity to become the first humans to reach in peace across the species barrier. That and violent xenophobia is a big setting element.

SittingBull
Hero

Grell wrote:It is a very desperate setting. It would be an effective shock especially for characters that are used to adequate logistical support and not being seen by their fellow sentient beings as food more often than not. :)

I like running for characters of the golden age and I like a human centered approach, giving them the opportunity to become the first humans to reach in peace across the species barrier. That and violent xenophobia is a big setting element.

Yeah. The character probably knowing more about demons, than most, would also be sought after by Nema to help.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

That could be an interesting angle to play or even turn on it's head, the ideal vs. the actual. That characters might think that NEMA would welcome their expertise and ability, but in reality they are seen as perhaps a greater and more insidious threat...

TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

Keep in mind......as the ash dries it can get stirred up again (or any place that stayed dry) and as its really fine, if you add jet exhaust you are back to a huge dust cloud again (from say a SAMAS)

And if it gets wet enough to stay in a mud like state.......when it dries it becomes concrete mixed with crazy glue (letting it dry INSIDE a turbine means time for a while new engine)
SittingBull
Hero

Could be used by Nema for emergency material to build ash igloos?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Y'all need Chaos Earth: First Responders. ;) Soon, hopefully.

Good thread!
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Jason Richards wrote:Y'all need Chaos Earth: First Responders. ;) Soon, hopefully.

Good thread!

Why yes, yes I believe we do.

SittingBull
Hero

Definitely going to be getting all the Chaos Earth books.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

Yeah there goes Jason Richards touting that book again, you know the one not in my hands.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Warmaster40k wrote:Yeah there goes Jason Richards touting that book again, you know the one not in my hands.

Telling the staff that you're interested is a great way to bump it up in the queue. :ok: Trust me, nobody is looking forward to it being printed than me. :)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Jason Richards wrote:
Warmaster40k wrote:Yeah there goes Jason Richards touting that book again, you know the one not in my hands.

Telling the staff that you're interested is a great way to bump it up in the queue. :ok: Trust me, nobody is looking forward to it being printed than me. :)

you're not alone there!
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

Yeah with my one thread on system changes, I'm doing it for the Chaos Earth game, I did have an idea of running a Golden Age Conflict game with a start date of April 16 2035 right after the formation of the NAA, and the initial founding of NEMA, which the Mexican drug lords use as an oppertunity to discredit the Mexican government by going into open warfare, stirring the young NEMA into action in the Mexican theatre. I was thinking of using a hybrid of Ninjas and Superspies with supplemental material from Heroes Unlimited and Beyond the Supernatural for the weird stuff (the Lazlo Society lives).
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Try playing civilian survivors from day one. It is a fun survival setting
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”