Introducing a coporate entity

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veritas476
Adventurer

Introducing a coporate entity

Unread post by Veritas476 »

How hard do you all think it would be to introduce a new corporate entity into the Chaos Earth setting? One that could either oppose or work with NEMA.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: Introducing a coporate entity

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I don't think it would be hard at all. As the world was in another Cold War you could have a large PMC that could cause problems.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

i think it would be fun. What were your thought behind them?
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Veritas476
Adventurer

I don't know just yet. This was a curiosity question for the moment. If it takes root in my brain and won't go away I might do something with it.
Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

Allow me, if I may, to point at a certain other fictional corporate entity that has caused the fictional world it exists in continual, constant and on-going problems: The Umbrella Coporation.

SURE! The world is ending as we know it. What does a Mega-Corporation, like Umbrella, do? Consolidate your assets and resources! Hole up somewhere deep and heavily protected (Cause... Let's face it. They went there BEFORE their world was being ravaged by one virus or another...) and prepare to bring about YOUR NEW WORLD ORDER once everything has died down.

We all know that Mega-Corporations (Mega-Corps) exist in The Golden Age before the Great Cataclysm... and that they all were in some kind of arms race or another (I only use the phrase "arms race" because it's generic enough, in my opinion, to be utilized effectively for this discussion). So, that also stands to reason that each one of them had some kind of "Plan B" if poo ever hit the fan. Heck... some of them may have just had a bunch of people in a room coming up with all kinds of "What If" plans. It's just... I doubt any of them REALLY considered the, "Our World is going through an Apocalypse that isn't going to End in our lifetime..." plan.

However - Juicer Technology, Genetic Manipulation, Robotics, Cybernetics, Bionics, M.O.M. Technology... ALL existed during the Golden Age! Which means, chances are, these Mega-Corps have access to any and/or all of them! With the right kind of people and the right kind of access to the right kind of training... One of these Mega-Corps could last a VERY long time during the Chaos!

Case in Point - Here's A "Mega-Corp" I built, using the Mercenary Company Creation Rules, as a Guideline. THIS is kind of what sort of resources and capabilities a Mega-Corp during The Golden Age, would have...

Ramses Pharmacutical
Mega-Corporation - 55 points Still Available, with Government Contracts
A. Sponsorship - Government
B. Outfits - Unlimited Clothing - 50 Points
C. Equipment - Unlimited Equipment - 50 Points
D. Vehicles - Unlimited Vehicles - 50 Points
E. Weapons, Power Armor & Bots - Maximum Firepower - 60 Points
F. Communications - Superior Communications - 40 Points
G. Internal Security - Impregnable - 60 Points
H. Permanent Bases - Company City - 60 Points
I. Intelligence Resources - Infiltration Network - 50 Points
J. Special Budget - Mega Bucks - 60 Points
K. General Alignment of Personnel - Evil - No Cost
L. Criminal Activity -
M. Reputation - Excellent Reputation - 25 Points
N. Salary - Outrageous Salary - 40 Points
Last edited by Johnathan on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
Veritas476
Adventurer

Johnathan wrote:Allow me, if I may, to point at a certain other fictional corporate entity that has caused the fictional world it exists in continual, constant and on-going problems: The Umbrella Coporation.

SURE! The world is ending as we know it. What does a Mega-Corporation, like Umbrella, do? Consolidate your assets and resources! Hole up somewhere deep and heavily protected (Cause... Let's face it. They went there BEFORE their world was being ravaged by one virus or another...) and prepare to bring about YOUR NEW WORLD ORDER once everything has died down.

We all know that Mega-Corporations (Mega-Corps) exist in The Golden Age before the Great Cataclysm... and that they all were in some kind of arms race or another (I only use the phrase "arms race" because it's generic enough, in my opinion, to be utilized effectively for this discussion). So, that also stands to reason that each one of them had some kind of "Plan B" if poo ever hit the fan. Heck... some of them may have just had a bunch of people in a room coming up with all kinds of "What If" plans. It's just... I doubt any of them REALLY considered the, "Our World is going through an Apocalypse that isn't going to End in our lifetime..." plan.

However - Juicer Technology, Genetic Manipulation, Robotics, Cybernetics, Bionics, M.O.M. Technology... ALL existed during the Golden Age! Which means, chances are, these Mega-Corps have access to any and/or all of them! With the right kind of people and the right kind of access to the right kind of training... One of these Mega-Corps could last a VERY long time during the Chaos!

Umbrella Corp can go fly a.....n umbrella. :P As for the rest of what you said I do agree with what you've said regarding Mega-Corps. Though I wasn't necessarily thinking of an entity that large but now it could be.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

What about a armored transport company, we get your stuff there no matter what it takes moto. They could have a fleet of ships and aircraft. perhaps they salvaged what they were transporting to help save themselves. What if they had some island base, this way they did not have to follow certain laws of some nations. This way they could explain why they would have some military presence.

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Lots of groups out there to build from or splinter from. ArmaTech, KLS, Cyberworks, Triax, etc. These companies owned lots of OTHER companies, and many were very shady. That's fertile ground for adventure, my friends.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Jason Richards wrote:Lots of groups out there to build from or splinter from. ArmaTech, KLS, Cyberworks, Triax, etc. These companies owned lots of OTHER companies, and many were very shady. That's fertile ground for adventure, my friends.

Listen to the Richards, the Richards is wise.

:)
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Veritas476
Adventurer

Oh I listened. I just haven't decided what to do with this idea yet. Still playing around in other areas of the megaverse right now.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

What about using some of these megaversal corporations, say using the earth as a safari hunting ground. go in with specialized guides and hunter and what not.

Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Brimstone wrote:Despite the concept of a Faceless Corporate Entity, remember that the people behind these Businesses are very A-Type personalities. Using the Umbrella Corporation's Albert Wesker as a bench mark.. you can play them (the CEO's) as Power Hungry Megalomaniacs who see the Great Cataclysm as an opportunity to seize power and remake the World (or their little part in it) in their own image. "So the world is coming to an end, and you want to run home to your families? No... I tell you, this is the opportunity we have been waiting for, no Government Oversight, No Stock-Holders to coddle, No Environmental Tree Hugging (other then the pointed eared guy in the corner) Protesters picketing outside our gates, It's a Brand New World People, and we are going to seize this gift by the balls and rebuild this world around our Toothpaste!!" Crazy... Yes, but people will gravitate to the person who has the Strongest Vision (not necessarily the right one).

I have used the Tyrell Corporation from Blade Runner, as a leading Genetics Research Company (while secretly working the with Government on Stem-Cell/Cloning technology), and have introduced the "Sims" from Rifts: Manhunter. Because of their Government Contracts Tyrell had/has a small privet army of ex-military who act as their security force. With the world in Chaos and no one breathing down their necks, they are using their Technology to quick-grow an armed force (6 months/weeks till the first 100 or so hit the deck, with Transferred intelligence from their recently lost employees (stole this idea from the Robotech Masters).

nice i forgot about the blade runner movie. thats a great movie to draw from for corporate and cities of the future.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Do we know what time during the calendar that Naruni first landed?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Neferkem
D-Bee

Unread post by Neferkem »

This has a certain conspiratorial air to it. I like it, it has a great deal of potential in terms of plot lines that could twist turn enough to make even the most experienced adrenaline junky cry uncle.
Such as did they engineer the the conflagration in South America?
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

what about wizards of the coast as a coporate entity?
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Rappanui wrote:Quite a funny enemy to have in Chaos earth.. but WOTC wouldn't have enough time to bring down forth their "magic gathering"army on anyone..

not even if they had REAL magic to work with?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Acid0philus
D-Bee

Unread post by Acid0philus »

Cybernetworks, and the company that made the Chromium Guardsman... KLC, or something? I keep wanting to call it KLF, but that was a musical act of the 80's and 90's.
There was no Chaos Earth category, so I got stuck with a Chromium Guardsman, er, Glitterboy... <.<
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I have to consider that Paladin Steel, my own fictional post-Rifts megacorp, has had its origins stated as pre-Rifts, producing megadamage materials, superconductors, and 3-d printing/prototyping for other firms, as well as handling trash-to-energy contracts for the states of Vermont and New Hampshire. Would they qualify as a pre-Rifts megacorp? Probably not; they were more local than supra-national and no insidious agendas.

They COULD, however, been one of a number of companies OWNED, even covertly, by a larger technologies company or entrenched government-industrial complex concern. That might explain why, for example, during the Coming of the Rifts, facilities like theirs might have had security forces armed with megadamage weapons on premises(part of some ubercorps' attempt to take over high-tech facilities? Secure their...or other peoples'...assets during the crisis?).

Megacorps are a really fun excuse for having all manner of shady operatives hanging around, like pre-Rifts tech-ninjas, Russian cyberhumanoid enforcers, neural-intelligence hack-bots, and other high-end cyberpunk apex predators roving around. They can carrying out black ops, or cut off from their chain of command in the middle of a black op and are now forced to team up with other survivors...to complete their original mission? Or these corporate scum become heroes?

I can't help that even wretched movies like The Divide can be used as inspiration for the doings of rotten evil megacorps operatives hunting survivors for some twisted agenda.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Wayland-Yutani owns one of the space stations.
I hear they're the actual reason for the Xyticix invasion and they were doing the research on bugs on Mars.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Shaper Corp. might not have been broken up as much as simply REORGANIZED...and even with their talent either behind bars or Project Paperclipped into other corporations, their hardcore believers may have been able to stay in touch and continue to work towards some dark agenda.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

From the mind of a friend of mine, I have ran with it to a different end point. But I have two Rival hotel chains being a prominent organization within my Rifts Game. Since they are in Rifts, the history of them being in Chaos Earth and a MegaCorp before is a logical conclusion.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”