Pre Rifts Magic Weapons

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GrampaAllen
D-Bee

Pre Rifts Magic Weapons

Unread post by GrampaAllen »

Have you used museum exhibit items or antiques that have become empowered by the coming of the rifts.

We have been debating how far back they would have to come from or allowing certain weapons that were forged with the old ways to work as well.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: Pre Rifts Magic Weapons

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I believe there is some minor mention of this in Rifts Japan with some of the Daisho swords.

I could see pieces from Native American (I think there is another note about NA armor would have stopped bullets if the magic was strong enough) or Egyptian cultures working along these lines as well.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

My question would be if BTS existed in your CE world. I am not concerned about canon (just cannons!), but if you wanted a more magical world in CE, I'd make BTS a part of your earth's history. That would explain how humans would be able to manifest magic just days or weeks into the apocalypse.

It would be interesting to have all sorts of "old stuff" resonate magic and thus making museum recovery missions a priority...of course, dimensional beasts might be drawn to these places as well. Other key targets would be homes of art collectors, college archeology and anthropology departments and that warehouse from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Astral_Explorer »

I think BTS might be part of Rifts Earth past.
Since Victor Lazlo is viewed as a time traveller when he appears in Rifts Africa, I believe he might be in the Triax NGR book too.

In Madhaven it mentions a pair of rune pistols from the MET, Metropolitan Museaum of Art.
It also has Cleopatra's Needle which does exist in real life outside the MET. It ends up being an intensly magical object.
So there are mentions of magic items in earths past and discovered.
Proud Member of the Coalition States Postal Service !!!

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i used ancient magic weapons as a means to introduce an artifact crafting magic in rifts:Scandinavia. study of recovered artifacts allowed some of their secrets to be reverse engineered.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

GrampaAllen wrote:Have you used museum exhibit items or antiques that have become empowered by the coming of the rifts.

We have been debating how far back they would have to come from or allowing certain weapons that were forged with the old ways to work as well.

Rifts South America 1 or 2 mentions mummies (museum exhibit) coming to life.

Rifts Japan makes mention to (as previously noted)
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

ShadowLogan wrote:
GrampaAllen wrote:Have you used museum exhibit items or antiques that have become empowered by the coming of the rifts.

Rifts South America 1 or 2 mentions mummies (museum exhibit) coming to life.

Rifts Japan makes mention to (as previously noted)

Left off the Nazcan Lines actually being a set of giant magical artifacts, also from the South American book. If you're going with the rewrite of Chaos Earth being the period in Rifts Earth's past when the Cataclysm occurred then BtS also becomes Chaos Earth's past because you're required to have a fair amount of Masquerade hidden magical creatures and mages and general supernatural activity. You just can't get around it due to all the material for Rifts Earth that points to such activity prior to the Cataclysm.

There's also a general acceptance of Psychic Powers by the public and multiple examples of genetic engineering and human experimentation to create, instill, or enhance psychic powers. Crazies, Mindwerks, Psynetics, Dog Boys, the mutant animals seen in South America, all experimentation per-Cataclysm to produce creatures with psychic powers.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
GrampaAllen
D-Bee

Unread post by GrampaAllen »

OK so that is about what I was thinking so Macca war club or a knights sword from a museum would work being on the east coast a lot of cultural museums and exhibits.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Why not i say.
Rifts is full of Pre-Rifts magicial items, weapons, objects, etc. So it would be the same for Chaos Earth too. BtS is almost certainly the past for CE/Rifts for the 20th centry era. But was Nightbane the early 21st centry era ? that is a better question, huh. Maybe, just maybe, Heroes Unlimited was the Late 21 centry era. Almost seems like it to me.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Nightmask
Palladin

TechnoGothic wrote:Why not i say.
Rifts is full of Pre-Rifts magicial items, weapons, objects, etc. So it would be the same for Chaos Earth too. BtS is almost certainly the past for CE/Rifts for the 20th centry era. But was Nightbane the early 21st centry era ? that is a better question, huh. Maybe, just maybe, Heroes Unlimited was the Late 21 centry era. Almost seems like it to me.

Nightbane couldn't be the early 21st Century, the Ba'al were actively ensuring that no nuclear events could occur because of the devastation it caused to the Nightlands. So the nuclear exchange that caused the Rifts to occur couldn't happen in Nightbane, not with the Ba'al running things and explicitly opposing nuclear war.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Nightmask...

BtS 1945-1995 (atomic age 20th centry)
Nightbane 1995-2019 (Early 21 centry i did say)
Heroes Unlimited 2020-2098 (i said late, but more mid to late 21 centry)

HU2 makes since if Science based Heroes, Spies, etc...happen to be the most common type of super. With the magics, psychics, mutants, etc...very rare. Governments try to replicate them using Bionics, Robotics, Super-soldier Programs, Hardware geniuses thinking weird stuff up and making them work. But it gives us "Juicers", "Crazies", "Glitterboys", "SAMAS", "Borgs", and the like before the coming of the Rifts. I'd say after the Nightlords were kick out and defeated again, PPE level were so low, Magic, and psychics, and true supers were extremely rare and most likely still sdc even when science up and invinted MDC materials.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
ShadowLogan
Palladin

@Nightmask
Per the OP, I was thinking of things that one would find in a museum. So the Nazcan lines would be out, unless the magic also works via photgraphs or artwork of the sites.

Pre-Rifts magic artificats have two periods of being created in Rifts Earth history and they both relate to the Atlanean Ritual that drained Earth dry of magic. Both Period can be further subdivided:
-Pre- (ex the Nazcan lines), which went dormant until the GC
-Post- period (ex the SA mummies), where the magic was preformed either intentionally or by habit, but the low levels of PPE did not allow it become active until the GC
Nightmask
Palladin

ShadowLogan wrote:@Nightmask
Per the OP, I was thinking of things that one would find in a museum. So the Nazcan lines would be out, unless the magic also works via photgraphs or artwork of the sites.

Pre-Rifts magic artificats have two periods of being created in Rifts Earth history and they both relate to the Atlanean Ritual that drained Earth dry of magic. Both Period can be further subdivided:
-Post- period (ex the SA mummies), where the magic was preformed either intentionally or by habit, but the low levels of PPE did not allow it become active until the GC

There's considerably more activity that could have created magical artifacts pre-rifts than that and none are or have to be related to the Atlantean ritual. The ritualistic nature of sword-making by the Japanese is explicitly noted for producing swords that with the coming of the rifts become incredibly powerful artifacts. The South American mummies are also a product of such ritualistic behavior but couldn't activate until there was enough ambient PPE for them to feed on and fully energize the latent magics. Plus the Nazcan magics and mummies are completely unrelated to Atlantis and its magic.

Just about anything subject to ritualized behavior could become a magical artifact post-Rifts, particularly long term ritual behavior (so one has to wonder how all those Christian artifacts fared with the massive upswing in PPE since some like the Shroud of Turan have been subjected to it for centuries).

ShadowLogan
Palladin

@Nightmask
You are correct that they don't have to be related to the Atlanteans, but the Atlantean ritual in question had global impact*, much like the Great Cataclysm. But I am not looking at the activity to create the artifacts, only the periods in time they could have been created in my last post (which was also part of the OP that I did not answer).

*Nazcan buildings where made of magic energy theat suddenly collapsed sending people falling to the ground is mentioned in SA2 with regard to the ritual. So the Atlanteans did have an impact on magic artifacts that where not their own because of the ritual.
Nightmask
Palladin

You are correct that they don't have to be related to the Atlanteans, but the Atlantean ritual in question had global impact*, much like the Great Cataclysm. But I am not looking at the activity to create the artifacts, only the periods in time they could have been created in my last post (which was also part of the OP that I did not answer).

*Nazcan buildings where made of magic energy theat suddenly collapsed sending people falling to the ground is mentioned in SA2 with regard to the ritual. So the Atlanteans did have an impact on magic artifacts that where not their own because of the ritual.

Magic items, either latent or active, could have been created at any point in history because magic in various forms has been shown to exist and be developed spontaneously by various cultures all around the world and across the breadth of time that humans have been sentient enough to do so. There aren't any special periods where that might have happened. The low magic levels after the Atlantean Catastrophe only forced mages to have to learn how to function in a low-PPE environment and those who couldn't or wouldn't skipped out (like the Nazcans did) until it went back up again. Some rituals as a result kind of worked as they accumulated PPE as they were repeated over and over again but still couldn't go active until the ambient PPE went up, hence those South American mummies for one.

Potentially there are a lot of magical items floating around as a result of that.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i'd guess that most 'PFRPG Alchemy' type magic weapons would have continued to work, as would any rune weapons. basically anything that has a permanent effect on it at the time. however any items that were made of PPE with little to no physical component (such as nazcan buildings) would stop working, and anything that required an external PPE source or had a limited PPE store for use (Techowizard or ecowizard equivelents) would become harder to use and/or difficult to recharge.

Nightmask wrote:

There's considerably more activity that could have created magical artifacts pre-rifts than that and none are or have to be related to the Atlantean ritual. The ritualistic nature of sword-making by the Japanese is explicitly noted for producing swords that with the coming of the rifts become incredibly powerful artifacts. The South American mummies are also a product of such ritualistic behavior but couldn't activate until there was enough ambient PPE for them to feed on and fully energize the latent magics. Plus the Nazcan magics and mummies are completely unrelated to Atlantis and its magic.

Just about anything subject to ritualized behavior could become a magical artifact post-Rifts, particularly long term ritual behavior (so one has to wonder how all those Christian artifacts fared with the massive upswing in PPE since some like the Shroud of Turan have been subjected to it for centuries).

in the rifter, the CE england article, there is an Egyptian mummy (from post-atlantean times) that 'wakes up' and gets rather mad he's no longer in egypt where he had planned to rule.

i'd suspect that would be a case similar to the South American Mummies..
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

@Nightmask
I don't argue that magic artificats couldn't be created at any time. But as the Japanese swords illustrate, the older the blades the more powerful they are supposed to be. That would seem to indicate power levels based on time periods. The Atlantean Ritual makes a good pre/post event marker since in some/all cases they might not even be sure the magic worked until the GC (ex SA Mummy) due to the low-PPE environment of Earth.
Nightmask
Palladin

I don't argue that magic artificats couldn't be created at any time. But as the Japanese swords illustrate, the older the blades the more powerful they are supposed to be. That would seem to indicate power levels based on time periods. The Atlantean Ritual makes a good pre/post event marker since in some/all cases they might not even be sure the magic worked until the GC (ex SA Mummy) due to the low-PPE environment of Earth.

I think it has less to do with age and more to do with as history has progressed the level of devotion and love of craft have dropped so fewer and fewer people are brought up with the mindset and full training to do those kinds of things. Plus you have to admit as the Age of Reason has taken over the level of mysticism has dropped as a result, which can't help since part of that item's power isn't just the devotion of the creator but the belief of others as well. If everyone thinks how 'quaint' you are keeping the old sword-making traditions alive the amount of energy contributed to the blade is lessened for example.

tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

I do kind of think that BTS is pre-rifts because of the lower ppe levels the things that go bump in the night where few in numbers. and had less power to draw form... so they hide in the shadows.... Psi talents where accepted but thought of as rare but the coming of the rifts... but look at things now ppl whom believe in psi talents are clam to have them are looked at as crack pots, con-men, and Flakes. its like the neo pagans many don't come foreword and tell what they are because in some cases it could be dangers to them. in some places they could lose there jobs, get kicked out of there homes, and even be attacked, there have been cases where neo pagans have lost there children as well....

so yeah there could be peaple fallowing the neo pagan religions whom are mages or psis there just use to keeping a low profile... As for pre rifts magic items and or weapons I see no reason why not some of them will not be active are less powerful because of the low ppe.. there are still smiths whom practice the old arts of the Mage smith... and well there not making rune weapons. That art is well and truly lost on earth I am sure there is no reasion why enchanted weapons can not be made... a few families still have signet rings and ancestral swords for the dark ages. many of those may well be miner magic items..... I do think I would how ever draw the line with the pcs "finding" Excalibur, the spear of Lugh, or the spear of destiny. finding the Holy grail would be pretty much out to.
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Well Madhaven has a 'rune' blackpowder weapon made during the Renisance.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Well if you decide to include rune weapons from legend. Just imagine Roland's sword "Durandal." forgive my spelling of it.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Aramanthus wrote:Well if you decide to include rune weapons from legend. Just imagine Roland's sword "Durandal." forgive my spelling of it.

or Cortana, "of the same steel and temper as Joyeuse and Durendal."

however those blades were not supposed to be magical per-say, aside from supposedly being made by Wayland the Smith,a mythological weapon maker who also made king Arthur's sword Caliburn,as well as Sigmund's Gram. none of these were particularly magical, just extremely good swords,said to be able to cut through armor*. so Rune weapons are not a good fit for them. i'd suggest just importing the enchanted weapons alchemists in PFRPG can make. considering the world at the time was in a period of magical fade, with magic little better than BTS levels, even some small bonuses to damage and strike could make the wielder incredibly potent.

*the armor at the time being hardened leather, or iron scale or mail

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Don't forget the 'Americana' museum pieces. I recall a thread dealing with the potential of items with mystical powers that come from american history.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

wyrmraker wrote:Don't forget the 'Americana' museum pieces. I recall a thread dealing with the potential of items with mystical powers that come from american history.

Indeed, have a few Civil War Pieces could be imbued as well. and some the items could be cursed as well. one that immediately comes to mind is a rapier or sabre that was at location of the story 'Ravenous'. Who's to say a few relics of Macbeth or the other tragic figures or villains of Shakespeare weren't laying around..The ruins of Castle Macbeth. Could even have the original works of Shakespeare be some sort of Rift.

Hell the book in the Nineth Gate could be something with a bit of magic..

I can see it now...Oberon and his wife appearing. The three Sisters...the Witches in Mac Beth could have been around, but because of low levels of magical energy unable to use there full power. and with them you can let Oberons infamous squire loose on the world...Of course he'd need to be weary of a certain mirror. :)
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

[quote="RimmerdalHell the book in the Nineth Gate could be something with a bit of magic..

I can see it now...Oberon and his wife appearing. The three Sisters...the Witches in Mac Beth could have been around, but because of low levels of magical energy unable to use there full power. and with them you can let Oberons infamous squire loose on the world...Of course he'd need to be weary of a certain mirror. :)[/quote]
I think this is an excellent point. Its not just weapons that can have magical properties. Stone tablets can contain ancient spells, holly artifacts could be used to heal or protect. I had a few ancient statues that were mystical prisons for powerful demons, when they were placed on a nexus point the demons where released and wackiness ensued.

Truthfully, any ancient or important artifact could be magical in the world of Chaos Earth / Rifts.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Rimmerdal
Knight

Warshield73 wrote:[quote="RimmerdalHell the book in the Nineth Gate could be something with a bit of magic..

I can see it now...Oberon and his wife appearing. The three Sisters...the Witches in Mac Beth could have been around, but because of low levels of magical energy unable to use there full power. and with them you can let Oberons infamous squire loose on the world...Of course he'd need to be weary of a certain mirror. :)

I think this is an excellent point. Its not just weapons that can have magical properties. Stone tablets can contain ancient spells, holly artifacts could be used to heal or protect. I had a few ancient statues that were mystical prisons for powerful demons, when they were placed on a nexus point the demons where released and wackiness ensued.

Truthfully, any ancient or important artifact could be magical in the world of Chaos Earth / Rifts.

That in essences is whats missing in most games. Most magical items are Weapons or armor. and I understand why one calls a sword a pretty cool item. Its a powerful weapon and able to harm alot things. But a clock that stops time, a Mirror that teleports or book that opens a gate to another dimension can be just as interesting.

Some items might be too cheesy..say a magic Microwave oven or Toaster would be...well a tad disappointing..Unless said toaster summoned a fire elemental. but any item of historical value because it was worn by a famous or infamous general will appeal to players and in fact in many ways be more coveted by them. Now that fire elemental summoning toaster..., maybe not so coveted..:P

In fact you have just motivated a thread idea..
taalismn wrote:

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Rimmerda wrote:lIn fact you have just motivated a thread idea..

What did I win?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

TechnoGothic wrote:Nightmask...

BtS 1945-1995 (atomic age 20th centry)
Nightbane 1995-2019 (Early 21 centry i did say)
Heroes Unlimited 2020-2098 (i said late, but more mid to late 21 centry)

HU2 makes since if Science based Heroes, Spies, etc...happen to be the most common type of super. With the magics, psychics, mutants, etc...very rare. Governments try to replicate them using Bionics, Robotics, Super-soldier Programs, Hardware geniuses thinking weird stuff up and making them work. But it gives us "Juicers", "Crazies", "Glitterboys", "SAMAS", "Borgs", and the like before the coming of the Rifts. I'd say after the Nightlords were kick out and defeated again, PPE level were so low, Magic, and psychics, and true supers were extremely rare and most likely still sdc even when science up and invinted MDC materials.

Techno-Gothic..you left out my favorite line :( Where does TMNT fit into your timeline? What kind of world would it be without Anthropomorphic whatchawhozits running around? Or should that just be lumped into the HU section?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Nightmask wrote:

or the everyday household items of those severely effected by OCD. talk about ritualistic behavior.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Nightmask
Palladin

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

or the everyday household items of those severely effected by OCD. talk about ritualistic behavior.

A very good point, they definitely have a twisted and focused mindset that could definitely channel PPE. Same goes for a number of athletes who have rituals around objects that they think are lucky for them. Every Sports Fan likely knows about this or that athletes ritualistic behavior regarding say his lucky underwear or lucky sneakers, and they do these rituals for years sometimes decades for the real long haul athletes.

Rimmerdal
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

A very good point, they definitely have a twisted and focused mindset that could definitely channel PPE. Same goes for a number of athletes who have rituals around objects that they think are lucky for them. Every Sports Fan likely knows about this or that athletes ritualistic behavior regarding say his lucky underwear or lucky sneakers, and they do these rituals for years sometimes decades for the real long haul athletes.

You've done it now. some CE player will say that his Hockey gear is magical and he'll get some enchanted rollerblades....;P
taalismn wrote:

Nightmask
Palladin

Rimmerdal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

You've done it now. some CE player will say that his Hockey gear is magical and he'll get some enchanted rollerblades....;P

So the Sports Museums would be a gold mine for odd magical artifacts, those fans rival the fervent prayers of devout worship from the religiously minded with the degree of focus and reverence they place on these objects.

Hmmm, I wonder if that means things like the prop rings from the Lord of the Rings movies or the prop vehicles from things like the Bond Films might become magical items (similar to that thread someone has in the Rifts forum regarding magical/ghost vehicles).

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nightmask wrote:Nightbane couldn't be the early 21st Century, the Ba'al were actively ensuring that no nuclear events could occur because of the devastation it caused to the Nightlands. So the nuclear exchange that caused the Rifts to occur couldn't happen in Nightbane, not with the Ba'al running things and explicitly opposing nuclear war.
It could've happened if they were defeated, no? Moloch may not want to use nukes (though I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his stance) but Spook Squad may wish to.

eliakon wrote:Madhaven has a 'rune' blackpowder weapon made during the Renisance
Did it provide a unique WP for operating it like TTMNT did?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Rimmerdal
Knight

Tor wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Nightbane couldn't be the early 21st Century, the Ba'al were actively ensuring that no nuclear events could occur because of the devastation it caused to the Nightlands. So the nuclear exchange that caused the Rifts to occur couldn't happen in Nightbane, not with the Ba'al running things and explicitly opposing nuclear war.
It could've happened if they were defeated, no? Moloch may not want to use nukes (though I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his stance) but Spook Squad may wish to.

eliakon wrote:Madhaven has a 'rune' blackpowder weapon made during the Renisance
Did it provide a unique WP for operating it like TTMNT did?

Spook squad tried to. and ther Bane countered it before it hit if I recall.
taalismn wrote:

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I assume this refers to the nuke and not gaining proficiency with black powder weapons.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Rimmerdal
Knight

Tor wrote:I assume this refers to the nuke and not gaining proficiency with black powder weapons.

Ya the nuke was taken out likely by magic or Nightbane talents before it hit. That or the physics of Nightbane earth operated on a different scale.
taalismn wrote:

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

I politely request that the thread be returned to the OP topic of Pre Rifts Magic Weapons. Thank you for your time.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Rimmerdal wrote:the nuke was taken out likely by magic or Nightbane talents before it hit. That or the physics of Nightbane earth operated on a different scale.

Stopping one attack doesn't stop them all.

and returning to OT...
eliakon wrote:Madhaven has a 'rune' blackpowder weapon made during the Renisance.....
Odd, I wouldn't expect rune masters to exist back then.
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

in my pb time line. it runs bts, CE, then rifts.. I have given some thought to magic, charms, enchantments... part of me think that The neo-pagans, and the odd old school pagan, should be doing ritual magic.... most of it should be subtle... not that I dont love a lightning spell or throwing a fire ball as much as the next man. But most of it should be in the form of protection and wording, and enchanting weapons to fight demons and monsters, And of course healing and exorcism rituals. Though as a house rule any one who knows the ritual can try an exorcism... though the better have either a strong will or a strong faith. or both.

Also a food for thought, in a CE game, I played an arcanist following a druidic tradition. Spent about the first 24 to 48 hours unconscious after the ley line surge that started the coming of the rifts. Many of the psys and magic users died from the overload alone. Most of the others spent time incapacitated from being supercharged.
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Clearly magic weapons exist in the Rifts dimension prior to the great cataclysm. You dont need BTS or any other game to tell you that.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

South America book two mentions that several of the mummified undead The Ancient awoke un museums when magic flared to life.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I've used US CIvil War weapons as magical, but not indestructible magic weapons. Think along the lines of PF enchanted weapons. If Rifts has Civil War ghosts walking around why can't my sabre cut a demon?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”