Plot Threads

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Plot Threads

Unread post by Warshield73 »

After reading the How many levels do your conspiracy theories have? posts I started thinking about how I worked conspiracies and other long term plots into my campaigns. I was never great at long term planning back in HS or college, as I liked to incorporate new books as they came out, so I just dropped plot threads everywhere. Little things that the players see, hear, or find that had nothing to do with the adventure at-hand but I could use later.
Examples
1. A PC used clairvoyance to get clues on the current adventure. During the vision I through in 2 or 3 random things, one of which was a human man and D-bee woman. A few months later the Mechanoids SB came out and I hadD-bee woman be the NPC Mea-la from the evil among us scenario.

2. As soon as the original SB 1 came out I ran the ARCHIE adventure. While the PCs where exploring the Cyberworks facility I allowed them to find a tunnel that ARCHIE had forgotten about or never knew of. Inside where the remains of several US military personal and a portable computer. When they got out they found they couldn't decrypt at the time. I used files from this laptop to start adventures adventures small (like pre-Rifts weapons caches) and large (knowledge of the orbital community and details on ARCHIE and Cyberworks. No joke I used this laptop in solo and group adventures at least a dozen times for 20 years.

3. Random murders. Every now and then I would kill off a beloved NPC. Sometimes this would be solved immediately, crime or random CS patrol, other times no clue until years later I would connect it to an adventure.

Does anyone else do this and if yes what have you used and how has it worked out.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “G.M.s Forum”