Credits to dollars conversion

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

Credits to dollars conversion

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Okay, this is no doubt one of those "how long is a piece of string" type questions, but does anyone know if there's a *general* credits to dollars conversion? If I wanted to use the items from Rifts, such as vehicles, in a Heroes Unlimited campaign, what would be a good general conversion? Now, I'm not talking about some prototype invention what would cost a lot more. For example, if I took one of the APCs from Rifts and wanted to use those stats for the APCs here, should I divide the costs by 10, by 100, etc? Things in Rifts seem to cost a lot more however, since I don't play it myself, I don't know how common in the game each of those items are, so I don't really have a basis for comparison.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
RainbowDevil
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Credits to dollars conversion

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

RainbowDevil wrote:Okay, this is no doubt one of those "how long is a piece of string" type questions, but does anyone know if there's a *general* credits to dollars conversion? If I wanted to use the items from Rifts, such as vehicles, in a Heroes Unlimited campaign, what would be a good general conversion? Now, I'm not talking about some prototype invention what would cost a lot more. For example, if I took one of the APCs from Rifts and wanted to use those stats for the APCs here, should I divide the costs by 10, by 100, etc? Things in Rifts seem to cost a lot more however, since I don't play it myself, I don't know how common in the game each of those items are, so I don't really have a basis for comparison.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
RainbowDevil

Generally the Group I am in does a straight 1 Credit for 1 Dollar.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

SpiritInterface wrote: Generally the Group I am in does a straight 1 Credit for 1 Dollar.

I generally do this.

However, you can adjust as needed. Here's an example form the books. Hopefully, it helps.

Pocket Night Viewer
RUE p. 264 800-1000 credits
Dead Regin RPG p. 118 $800
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

My main problem with the one for one conversion is the high end items. Sure, basic things aren't so bad, but then when you get vehicles, TW gadgets, etc that cost in the order of one million or more credits, it becomes impossible for the group to ever reach that level of wealth.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well keep in mind that Rifts Prices that get listed might in fact be "Black Market" cost and not "White Market" cost.

One thing you could do if you have the time though would be to use the hardware build tables for vehicles/bots/pa to build a close approximation and compare its cost to the Rifts cost. Though if you are looking at a quickie rule of thumb, I'd go with the 1:1 ('bots/pa budgets in HU are still in millions...).
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

RainbowDevil wrote:My main problem with the one for one conversion is the high end items. Sure, basic things aren't so bad, but then when you get vehicles, TW gadgets, etc that cost in the order of one million or more credits, it becomes impossible for the group to ever reach that level of wealth.

The GM needs to find away to provide the group with either funds or some way to get some sort of discount. Remember real life things are expensive. A used Helicopter cost 2 million Dollars, Cray super computers much more.

They may need a benefactor who for them doing the occasional favor funds the big ticket items, or give one of the PCs Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark rich and let them fund the group.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The Universal Credit is supposed to be the equivilant to one US or Canadian dollar, only adjusted for inflation.
(Collected MOPs, p. 108)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

RainbowDevil wrote:My main problem with the one for one conversion is the high end items. Sure, basic things aren't so bad, but then when you get vehicles, TW gadgets, etc that cost in the order of one million or more credits, it becomes impossible for the group to ever reach that level of wealth.

No it is not, it may be hard but not impossible.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”