Never thougtht I'd see the day...

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Never thougtht I'd see the day...

Unread post by Nightmask »

...when someone would argue in an AD&D forum that Chaotic Good is defined as 'The Ends Justifies The Means' and will use any method a Chaotic Evil person would because intentions is what matters. Now I have. Rape, Robbery, Murder, all that and more he says is completely acceptable to the Chaotic Good person so long as he's intending to do a great good with the actions. That's so far disconnected from what Chaotic Good is if he didn't seem so serious about believing it I'd swear he was just saying it to troll.

This mind you was in response to a GM wondering if he ought to change a CG PC's alignment in his group to CN after he flew ahead of the party, negotiated a peace with some villagers that had been forced into looking for the PC group to kill them by the big bad, then when his party arrived massacred all of the now neutral and non-threatening villagers. This mind you includes the PC learning their backstories, knowing that they were both forced and duped by the big bad into being a threat to them and knowing that they would disband or could even ally with the group against the Big Bad. But the GM isn't sure about whether or not to change his alignment down... eye rolling smiley PC clearly demonstrates he's CE and the GM isn't sure and thinks leaving him CG is what he'll do, as he and the other guy somehow think that being Chaotic it's okay for him to just turn around and arrange a mass murder in direct contravention of his Good alignment.

Apparently neither seem to clue in on the fact that the Chaotic is going to be constrained by the Good portion of the alignment, and good would never engage in such a blatantly evil action no matter how chaotic they are.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Never thougtht I'd see the day...

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

in a way yah he is right….but only if they mean breaking laws that forbid doing the good. the actions/means still have to be good actions/means. Like stoping corrupt police from killing a witness to their crimes from testifying against them might involve 'resisting arrest' and other ""unlawful acts"" to protect the witness.

However, this doe not let the CG good char going around killing people to further their plots. Their actions still have to "BE" good.

If the CG started going around killing people for a plot they are working on then the GM should secretly be scoring points for the evil they do. Then after a decided upon amount start having their alinement driven magic starting to not work for the char. Maybe w/o even telling the player as to why.

sort of like how only good (lawful) chars in the PB system are the only ones that can used good rune weapons/artifacts.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Well, the PC can think anything he wants. If I was GM, he can have any alignment on his character sheet, but the world, the NPCs, the deities, etc all know that he is CE and deluded.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

This is the sort of reason why I don't do alignments in any game I play, no matter the system.
I just let people act as they act and there are no short cuts to find out who is good and who is evil, nor are there shortcuts to find out if your actions are good or evil, and especially I don't have to decide what the universal definition of "good" is that holds in every and all situation no mater what la la la.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

This is why alignments are a suggestion in any game I've been in. Though going evil is frowned upon in my group. Mostly because our GM would be CG if real life was alignments, me? I run NG, and usually fall somewhere between that and just plain neutral, I don't really care about other people but I like to meddle and make things better. I don't have a problem working with evil, and if the laws work with me i'll work with them unless I need to break them to achieve my goals. I'm not for an extreme state of law or chaos, and i'm not really good, I just don't hold with murder and rape and all that other stuff unless its for a clear purpose and only against those who deserve it. Or at least I feel deserve it. And I like to help those who are innocent or in love...

as for the starting rant? If the character thought he was "doing good" then I would let him be CG...but what in the heck kind of backstory are you trying to feed me for rape, murder and robbery being good deeds? did you rape a rapist, murder a murderer and give all you stole to the poor? if not you're now irredeemably CE and I await the day your character is dragged screaming into hell.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

eliakon wrote:This is the sort of reason why I don't do alignments in any game I play, no matter the system.
I just let people act as they act and there are no short cuts to find out who is good and who is evil, nor are there shortcuts to find out if your actions are good or evil, and especially I don't have to decide what the universal definition of "good" is that holds in every and all situation no mater what la la la.

This. People don't have alignments, they have personalities, and sometimes just everybody is a jerk. Not a rape and murder jerk, but you know what I mean.

It's especially annoying in PB games. Technically if you're good (Principled or Scrupulous), you can't even loot the bodies of the bandits who tried to kill you. You have to either be Unprincipled or Aberrant to take that sweet chromed .45 off the gang-banger you offed, or the variable laser rifle off the dead boy who had an issue with you being alive, and not human.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

this is why i like that PB actually gives definable details as to what an alignment will and won't do. they should really list those as "goals" or "ideals" rather than hard limits, but it at least gives GM's and players a rough idea of what each alignment is like.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Nightmask wrote:...when someone would argue in an AD&D forum that Chaotic Good is defined as 'The Ends Justifies The Means' and will use any method a Chaotic Evil person would because intentions is what matters. Now I have. Rape, Robbery, Murder, all that and more he says is completely acceptable to the Chaotic Good person so long as he's intending to do a great good with the actions. That's so far disconnected from what Chaotic Good is if he didn't seem so serious about believing it I'd swear he was just saying it to troll.

This mind you was in response to a GM wondering if he ought to change a CG PC's alignment in his group to CN after he flew ahead of the party, negotiated a peace with some villagers that had been forced into looking for the PC group to kill them by the big bad, then when his party arrived massacred all of the now neutral and non-threatening villagers. This mind you includes the PC learning their backstories, knowing that they were both forced and duped by the big bad into being a threat to them and knowing that they would disband or could even ally with the group against the Big Bad. But the GM isn't sure about whether or not to change his alignment down... eye rolling smiley PC clearly demonstrates he's CE and the GM isn't sure and thinks leaving him CG is what he'll do, as he and the other guy somehow think that being Chaotic it's okay for him to just turn around and arrange a mass murder in direct contravention of his Good alignment.

Apparently neither seem to clue in on the fact that the Chaotic is going to be constrained by the Good portion of the alignment, and good would never engage in such a blatantly evil action no matter how chaotic they are.

Still not the most evil the most evil alignment is Chaotic neutral as there is no telling which way that person will go. One day he saves a dog from a kid being cruel to it the next day he eats it.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Still not the most evil the most evil alignment is Chaotic neutral as there is no telling which way that person will go. One day he saves a dog from a kid being cruel to it the next day he eats it.

You should never eat a kid. First of all, they're dirty. Secondly, they're high in fat content. Thirdly, you might not get invited to the block pot luck again.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Khanibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Still not the most evil the most evil alignment is Chaotic neutral as there is no telling which way that person will go. One day he saves a dog from a kid being cruel to it the next day he eats it.

You should never eat a kid. First of all, they're dirty. Secondly, they're high in fat content. Thirdly, you might not get invited to the block pot luck again.

Well chaotic neutral are crazy... besides it isn't their fault that someone brought the kid as a side; it was even in a portable red dish, I mean it even says rad io flayer... oh, I see now, come on the words are close... And come on I figured rad no was French like horse doers or goose patty.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “G.M.s Forum”