Mind Block and Multiple Image query

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

Mind Block and Multiple Image query

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Hey folks,

I have a question regarding the Mind Block psionic power. In this thread I'm going to use the wording from the BtS rulebook, but I think the wording from Rifts is pretty much the same (plus, my games take place in an SDC setting, not Rifts).

"A Mind Block will prevent penetration of Telepathy, Thought-Reading, Empathy, Hypnotic Suggestion, and Empathic Transmission... Adds a bonus of +1 to save vs psychic and mental attacks."

So, my understanding is that the +1 applies to things like Mind Bolt, Mind Wipe, etc, however the powers listed above are all *automatic* saves. Is this correct?

Also, regarding the Multiple Image spell from Rifts, it says it creates three images, that each must be penetrated by silver to destroy it and that the mage gets +2 Initiative, +2 Dodge and +1 Strike. I assume that those bonuses are the *only* game mechanic for it? ie when you hit, you don't have to make a roll to see if you hit an image or the real mage, etc?

Regards,
RD
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Mind Block and Multiple Image query

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

There is no specific mechanism for how a character can tell a real image from a false image.
Some believe that it's easy to tell, and that the bonuses are the only practical effect of the spell.
Others (myself included) believe that the spell is the Palladium version of D&D's Mirror Image spell.
A common way for D&D games to handle the question of whether or not an attack hits the caster or an image IS to roll a D4.
Some people probably do it in Palladium as well, but it's not an official rule.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mindblock
Yes, it automatically prevents the listed conditions, and provides a +1 against powers that are not listed (or functionally similar)
So a power that is functionally telepathic or empathic will be blocked, other powers will get a +1 to their saves.

Multiple Image
Canonically that is the only bonus the spell provides.
There is a fairly common house rule that grants roll to see if you target the mage or an image... but that is not canon.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote:Mindblock
Yes, it automatically prevents the listed conditions, and provides a +1 against powers that are not listed (or functionally similar)
So a power that is functionally telepathic or empathic will be blocked, other powers will get a +1 to their saves.

Multiple Image

The spell canonically also provides multiple images of you that look and move just like you.

There is a fairly common house rule that grants roll to see if you target the mage or an image... but that is not canon.

Yup.
Canon does not address how easy it is to tell the mage apart from the identical images, so that's left by default to the GM.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Thanks for the responses folks! :)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:Mindblock

Multiple Image

The spell canonically also provides multiple images of you that look and move just like you.

Yup.
Canon does not address how easy it is to tell the mage apart from the identical images, so that's left by default to the GM.

By default it appears to do nothing but bonuses. A GM can naturally houserule more if they wish ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “G.M.s Forum”