Shadow Chronicles - Earth after the Invid brainstorm

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

foilfodder
Explorer

Shadow Chronicles - Earth after the Invid brainstorm

Unread post by foilfodder »

I'm working on some ideas for the Robotech Shadow Chronicles. The idea is to focus on Earth and it's recovery (rather than the SDF-3 and Haydonites). The UEEF soldiers may have "liberated" Earth, but will have their hands full trying to pull all the squabbling settlements/cities together to form anything resembling a new world government.

Emphasis will be on role-play, not mecha combat. OCCs can be UEEF from the Shadow Chronicles book representing either active or retired soldiers, but I'm also going to allow the "normal" humans from Heroes Unlimited such as Hardware and Special Training. Non-normal such as Human Experiments, Human Mutants, Mutant Animals, Cyborgs, Robots, Aliens (Invid anyone?) and Psionics will be allowed but require GM approval. Magic classes from HU will not be allowed.

Plot Points:
- UEEF will establish outposts in or near major Earth settlements and attempt to re-establish a world government.
- Bandits and "rogue" settlements will be the main antagonists (or if the characters are anarchist they will work against the UEEF as bandits/spies).
- Players will be advised that mecha and Protoculture are very hard to come by and any such mecha in civilian hands will likely lead to the UEEF requesting return of military equipment to the UEEF.

Thoughts?
foilfodder
Explorer

Re: Shadow Chronicles - Earth after the Invid brainstorm

Just planning on local gaming group for now. Most of us have wives/kids so gaming is our "guy thing" instead of bowling/paintball/fishing.

If I ever do start a online gaming group I will let you know.
Palladium System F.A.Q.s - viewforum.php?f=44
Find out you've been doing it wrong for years!
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

If there are any enclaves of Southern Cross groups still around, they would definitely be a source of conflict and/or diplomacy. The history of the SCA and UEEF/UEDF as set in the RPG is one of jealous rivals to a point. There would be pushback from SCA troops if the UEEF tried to absorb them, or take their gear.

I've also maintained the EBSIS story elements and have them as a slightly stronger force in Europe (they had a few underground factories).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

most of the Anti-invid resistance groups would become the local protectors and/or warlords of their areas. the good ones would be trying to nation build via coalition governments. the bad ones via dictatorial conquest. note that their choice of methods would have little bearing on whether they will agree to work with the UEEF.

and since they can now use their Guns, vehicles, and mecha with impunity, expect the more bandit like groups to be very nasty as they dig out their stockpiles.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

You can still through some E.B.S.I.S. bad guys into the mix as well as stage-5 Invids.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

My suggestion is to look through the old RT reconstruction era books (RT 1st ed) for ideas about how people would react to outsiders trying to impose a government over them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I agree with drewkitty, you should look through some of the RT 1 st edition stuff, like New World Order, Strike Force, Zentraedi Breakout, and the revised Return of the Masters. If you can get it, Rifter #5 as well.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
foilfodder
Explorer

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts everyone!

tobefrnk wrote:If there are any enclaves of Southern Cross groups still around, they would definitely be a source of conflict and/or diplomacy. The history of the SCA and UEEF/UEDF as set in the RPG is one of jealous rivals to a point. There would be pushback from SCA troops if the UEEF tried to absorb them, or take their gear.

I've also maintained the EBSIS story elements and have them as a slightly stronger force in Europe (they had a few underground factories).

Ice Dragon wrote:You can still through some E.B.S.I.S. bad guys into the mix as well as stage-5 Invids.

Not bad thoughts... I am going for less mecha so...
i) Armies of Southern Cross and mecha will be virtually non-existant (Plus, don't have Southern Cross books).
ii) E.B.S.I.S. will be distant but probably involved in supplying weapons to anti-UEEF settlements. No mecha (since I don't have the books) and they want to maintain plausible deniability.
iii) I do have plans for the Invid. One of the first NPCs I generated is a very special stage 5. I am hoping it will be a surprise for the players despite many of them having seen the Anime many times.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:My suggestion is to look through the old RT reconstruction era books (RT 1st ed) for ideas about how people would react to outsiders trying to impose a government over them.

BookWyrm wrote:I agree with drewkitty, you should look through some of the RT 1 st edition stuff, like New World Order, Strike Force, Zentraedi Breakout, and the revised Return of the Masters. If you can get it, Rifter #5 as well.

I own most of those books (aside from Masters & Rifter) and they are well-used. Great resources. But again, I don't want to get too caught up in the mecha.

I want to emphasize U.E.E.F. won't be imposing a government, it will be trying to gather existing settlement leaders and convince them to work to the common good. Lt. General Reinhardt will be handing down orders till Rick Hunter and the SDF-3 return to Earth. I believe that his methods will be direct but fair. To gain cooperation the U.E.E.F. can offer:
i) Military security. No civilian knows how limited the U.E.E.F. is in terms of spaceships, mecha or protoculture. Likely the top brass will try to keep a tight lid on it in order to maintain appearances.
ii) Engineers, scientists, doctors and many others with specialized training that Invid-occupied Earth had in very short supply. People will do a lot for clean water and medical supplies/care,
iii) Act as a mediator between settlements which are in dispute with each other. To maintain neutrality, the U.E.E.F. brass will continue to operate off-Earth rather than at one of the newly established outposts.

How cooperative each leader is will depend on their personalities and that of their people. Some will want to continue to be independent for a variety of reasons:
i) survived over a decade of the Invid and like being self-sufficient.
ii) have an large population which feels negatively towards military or specifically are anti-UEEF. Likely cannidates for E.B.S.I.S. subversion.
iii) are ruled by tyrants who prefer to keep power to themselves. Also good cannidates for E.B.S.I.S. influences.
Palladium System F.A.Q.s - viewforum.php?f=44
Find out you've been doing it wrong for years!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I did a whole timeline where I included Mechanoids and Rifts Manhunter as well as the fan fic stuff "Third Invid War" and on into "traditional" macross....its schlock to be sure but hey I was bored one day.

http://worldofjaymz.wikia.com/wiki/Alternate_Robotech

I like your idea overall. It lets you do whatever you want really. Nice job :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

There could also be a world court sort of scenario going on with various groups and communities wanting people strung up for being Invid sympathizers. Think of one town protecting the guys who rounded up slave labor from neighboring villages to protect his home. Not to mention trying the finger pointing between various groups. Bandit to one, savior to another.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”