Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Gamers Looking for Other Gamers

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts
PM SENT:

I think it might just be you, mate. You're the first to mention this since the site started in 2005. But the criticism regarding the "recursive rules" (as you put it) is fair enough. We're constantly working on such things. If you dislike using IM, then EU is definitely not the place for you as the community uses Google Hangouts extensively in order to form those very friendships we all so highly value as well as to communicate out of character about all manner of things. If that's a hang-up you can get over, hit me up on Hangouts. (lloyd.ritchey@gmail.com) If it's not, then the best of luck to you out there, friend.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:43 pm

D-Bee

Good Morning, I've been using SavageRifts.com for almost a year now. For those not aware Savage Rifts is a port of the Rifts Universe to the Savage Worlds RPG system by Pinnacle. The guys aat Explorers Unlimited were cool enough to create a new sister site for playing Savage Rifts. The community here is fairly large and there are at 12-13 Savage Rifts games ongoing right now. In the last six months or so they've also expanded out into some other Savage Worlds settings such as fantasy (Shaintar), Super Heroes and Supernatural Western (Deadlands.) So adding those to the rifts games you have a lot of choices though some games are full there are several that have a couple openings.

There is some turnover as noted in reviews of the Explores Unlimited side but there is a big enough player base and there are always new players coming in that this is not a problem. Like Explorers Unlimited there are post rates which are pretty easy to make as long as you can post at least once a week or so. Higher post rates are rewarded with EP and a little bonus XP at the end of each quarter. EP is a point system that originated in Explorers Unlimited and allows you to do stuff like unlock extra character slots and pick up various one time bonuses among other things. The nice thing about EP is that while it is cool to have it is NOT necessary to enjoy yourself on this site. The most popular use of EP that I am aware of is the unlocking of extra character slots so they can play in more games. You can see the Explorer Points Menu here.

Another unique thing about the site is that is while it does stick largely to RAW there are site adopted house rules, mostly to bring in new content from other Savage Worlds settings or to import stuff from Classic Rifts that did not make it into the first wave of Savage Rifts books. Site wide house rules are adopted by a majority rule of GM's though pretty much anyone can offer an opinion on stuff that is being debated. If you are interested in seeing what house rules are currently in effect you can look at them here. While I am talking about GM's I should mention that anyone can apply to be a GM and start their own game. If you are interested just contact the site admin at SavageRifts.com for details.

Last but not least like Explorers Unlimited we make use of Google Hangouts for a lot of our OOC chat and what are we going to do next kind of stuff. Groups generally each have their own hangout and there is a SavageRifts.com community hangout too.

Well that is pretty everything much everything I can think of. Like I said I've been playing here nearly a year now and I have no intentions of leaving anytime soon. This is a great bunch of people and I can't really think of anything really critical I can say about the place. Probably the closest I can come is pretty much standard for PbP games in which they can move a bit slowly though some games move faster than others and you can read through most of the groups past adventures if you want to get a feel for the style and pace of various GM's. The other issue is that if you have an idea you want to adopt as a house rule the fact there are a number of GM's all with their own view can make getting enough votes a challenge but I still think it is a good system as it means new ideas really get put through the wringer before being inflicted on player's.

P.S. There is also a patron system in place at Radio Free Merctown. Again being a patron is good from some nice stuff but it isn't anything you can't get using EP but if you want to help support the maintenance of the site that is worthwhile in its own right too.

P.P.S. Just adding a note regarding character creation on SavageRifts.com. I haven't used EU but from what I understand it is a little different over on the Savage side. If you want to join you can do so immediately and begin creating your character. There is a recruitment forum specifically or posting character builds and for asking questions on creating characters. You don't have to a concept set in stone to create your account and you have to ability to rename your account to match your character's name once you are ready so no pressure there. Once you are ready you can PM a GM to ask to join a group and once the GM has given your character the once over to make sure the t's are dotted and the i's are crossed they will move your character to the proper team forum and you are off to the races.

Last edited by Radecliffe on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:21 pm

D-Bee

I joined savagerifts.com because I had been stuck as the perpetual GM for a very long time and I saw a plug on facebook for it.

Within no time I found it not only worked it worked really well. There is an inherent strength in having the wisdom and advice of so many other GM's readily accessible through hangouts. A consistency of experience by having common rules accepted by everyone following basically the same rules, and not having to learn the table rules for a new group every time. There is a huge strength in being able to look up a rule or ruling before responding or answering a Question from a player that lets things feel consistent as will. The ability to have time to think about a response before posting rather than what I can come up with on the spot allows me to better think how a character will act in a situation. Overall I have found I get more enjoyment out of my PBP games on savagerifts.com than I do out of my face to face groups.

But most of all the community, we hangout on hangouts and get to know a little about each other, tell jokes, and interact in the social way you would with any game group. There are a lot of members of my groups I would like to meet in person and just take out for a bear.

Overall I consider it a great experience.

RFT