Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Gamers Looking for Other Gamers

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:32 am

Adventurer

Comment: Creator of the best PBP games online: ExplorersUnlimited.com
Current player reviews of EU and SavageRifts.com

Only serious, substantive reviews, please.

Criticism: the analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work.

Last edited by Augur on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:37 pm

D-Bee

I'm a brand new guy to EU. In fact, I'll be posting in my FIRST adventure later this week!

Let me tell you about my experience so far, though...

I think one of the most impressive things I've noticed about EU is that they put a HUGE emphasis on following their character creation format exactly as prescribed. The first time, it's a little confusing. It's really intricate. Very quickly, though, you get used to it. I think my 2nd character will be a breeze, and can't wait to create him!

Speaking of creating new guys, one of reasons you can't immediately create multiple characters is because they use a points system. You get certain EU points (separate from your character's XP) for different things. Then, you use these points to do different meta game or in game things.

I think both of these things point to how well thought out the site is. More than anything else, I've been impressed by HOW the site is ran. It makes sense, when you think about it. The character creation is such an in-depth process because they don't want quitters (and trust me, by the time you've invested a few hours into these formats, you're no quitter!). The EU point system makes sense because it forces you to focus your energies intelligently, and it rewards quality role-playing.

Here's what I love the most about EU: they aim to be the highest quality role playing experience possible. During my character creation process, I needed some clarification about a specific attribute roll. I was able to get in contact with the site administrator (who's available almost every day at some point!) and he listened my question and then literally WENT AND RE-WORDED THE DISPUTE IMMEDIATELY!

Think about that. They've worked for years to create a great system. Even still, they're willing to improve it and listen to tweaks to make it better!

I think that EU is the best free play-by-post RPG site I can imagine. It's not flawless. Nevertheless, it is impressive. Once I get into the specific adventures, my thoughts about EU might change... But on the front end, I couldn't be more excited to get started!

Last edited by Gadju13 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Explorer

Most who have played many play-by-post games over the years often deal with a few common issues. The most troubling is when the game master stops returning one day. Similarly, player flaking is another common issue which can lead to a game collapse by default. The last one most run into is post rate. Even if the game master and players stay, the delay between posts can become so protracted that people stop checking back and the game just dies a quiet death.

I've established the previous issues to highlight the benefits of Explorers Unlimited as a play-by-post site. Initially the site came across as very regulated, perhaps even oppressive. Having come from several previous games that collapse after 6 months to a year, I was willing to accept a firm hand in exchange for a continuing game experience. It didn't take long to come to regard the firmness as a boon rather than a debt.

Beyond a set of known expectations, EU offered and still offers unique benefits well beyond stability in the world of play-by-posts. On a personal level, the most intriguing concept of EU is a common settings for all player groups. The first time my character encountered a player from a different group I realized that it was an experience unique to EU. While living campaigns can come close, it would be closer to two continuous gaming groups running into each other in their respective games in some weird teleconference. Each such encounter is as "cool" as the first time.

A great comfort and benefit is the portability of your characters. If (and it has happened) a player group falls apart, you can take your character to a different group. While I've never used that benefit, it's nice to know that the end of a group isn't the end of a character.

While player turnover is still an issue, having so many players on a single site offers the ability to shore up groups that have lost many players. Aside from other groups, there are also new players frequently arriving. Situations that would have ended many game groups can be overcome, preserving time and imagination invested.

In a game as diverse as Rifts, some boundaries and rules are needed to keep a fluid and portable game experience. The post rate is the keystone of all the rules. While I had played on other sites with post rates, the requirement wasn't sustainable as new players were not constantly joining. Who you started with is who you'd finish with. With the active community on EU, the requirement can be enforced. Of course once established a player can go on hiatus or take a short break due to circumstances which provides flexibility for difficult issues we face in real life.

A recent feature that has great potential is what on the site is call, Explorer Points. They are earned through player participation in developing and enriching the site. They can be spent on a number of things ranging from character improvements to extra characters to special requests. You have the opportunity to even bribe your game master (I have done so!).

For new players I feel the biggest "challenge" is getting through the house rules. There is a bit to read through. Other than post formatting and post requirements most rules are often looked when needed. There are caps on certain classes and races, with some only available with the previously mentioned "ep" points and some not available at all. Naturally, those tend to be the extremely powerful classes that often create more issues than they help. The limits on certain classes help promote a range of characters in the game I feel.

Beyond character limits, other rules are there for mutual respect. Post rates, character tracker and other tools of communication are really about respecting other people. Such communication places responsibility on the individual to alert mods and other players about the availability to play.

Ultimately, EU an excellent site to play Rifts on, where you don't have to worry about losing a game master or players. If you want to play you can for as long as you may want.

Last edited by rc_brooks on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:11 pm

D-Bee

Comment: What? where am I?
Okay, I had a long critique all written out, but I'll save everyone from that.

Explorers Unlimited is a great PBP site. It has a long history and a lot of the typical PBP problems are dialed in or have good work arounds. There are lots of good people and characters. It's a lot of fun and the best PBP gaming I've played.

The cost of all this success is putting up with some strict, sometimes harsh, sometimes downright caustic criticism from the mods and site runner. There are strict guidelines, for example, on character sheet formatting. If you ignore them, the reactions you incite will be decidedly negative.

However, I mentioned great people. They are very helpful, ask them and things will be just fine.

As someone who is very egalitarian and a little hippy-dippy, I am more than happy to toe the line here and play some damned good Rifts and Heroes Unlimited.

I'd really love to tell you about the time my Glitter Boy pilot had sacrifice the suit to... But you could just go over to EU and read about it in the archives!

I gm Heroes Unlimited Century Station Bravo Team - I am Maniacal Laugh
Rogue-Z

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:18 pm

D-Bee

I am a relatively new player at EU. I for one live on the computer. I am actually glad for the posting requirements. There have been times where I am antsy for fellow players and GM's/AGM to respond.

Making my character for the first time wasn't too difficult. If I would have fully read the instructions my character would be in the Americas, but It ended up being a very good thing I am in Europe. Shortly after joining the game the active players went from 5 to 2. I was pretty concerned. I had just made one of my favorite O.C.C., there was no other game for the region. The GM had asked the players on how we should recruit more players to maintain the participation requirements. The results were great. We now have enough players to keep the game going.

The combat on the site is pretty straight forward. Fortunately we have a map for reference.

I am working on a second character. While I foolishly did not follow the rules exactly, one of the other GM's and the AGM sat down with me and reinforced the rules in a manner that was not insulting or degrading. While the initial character concept is not currently allowed, the AGM is allowing for a review of the concept and is requiring me to validate new items that could be added to the market.

This site can be tough, there are posting requirements, each character has its own separate login, character creation is strict, but the game can be enjoyable, and even new players can contribute and improve the site and experience.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:54 pm

D-Bee

I'm an extremely new player to EU (not even a week) but I've played on a few other PBP boards before. So far they've seemed the most organized and, while not the most active currently, one of the more consistently active ones I've seen. You can tell the veterans have been at it a while and hammered out a lot of the issues so things stay organized. And the required post rate seems to keep things from dying out as often as I've seen before.

I didn't have much issue with how they do character creation, it was pretty straight forward. Maybe its from dealing with machines so much and having to do things a certain way in a certain order so much that I didn't have much trouble picking up how the site runner wants things done. You might want to take a day off going through House Rules before you think about joining though. It pays dividends when it comes to character creation and probably gameplay later.

Allowed content is limited some, but logically. But they've got this 'Explorer Point' system to unlock some of it that even a first time player can take advantage of if they're creative. Everything from unlocking content to boosting a character's stats to getting a defacto success on an important roll are possible with them. Sort of like the Luck, Fate, or Benny systems from other games.

One complaint is that it seems like combat would drag a campaign to a halt. Especially if one of the players was MIA or sick and couldn't get on. I haven't been in combat yet obviously, so I'm not entirely sure how that will work out. But, the fact there's half a dozen groups running concurrently I'm hopeful they've figured that issue out too.

I wish I would have found the site a few years ago, but better late than never.

Side note: I've gotten crap from other sites when I listed or they realized I was female but none of that on EU so far.

--Quinn

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:12 am

D-Bee

I've been with EU for about 6months and I had a very rough start with my first character. The House Rules are somewhat overwhelming at first and not for the light readers. Moving past my first character, I saw the benefit to it all. Because of the stumbling and the amount of patience it took, it turned me into a better player. By going through the initial process alone, I feel I became a better, more adept player in the Rifts world (and others).

Those who stumble at the beginning see the benefit later on, and EU (which seems like a benevolent dictatorship) has more perks than downfalls. The Status tracker is another awesome thing from EU, allowing players to say when they will be away so they aren't flaked, just NPCd through the duration. Another amazing thing is the other GMs and AGMs on the site, most if not all are very experienced and ready to pick up the slack if another GM is having Real-Life Difficulties.

I think the cohesion that EU provides makes it one of the best PBP sites I have ever seen or been apart of.

Last edited by Major Arcana on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:31 am

Wanderer

I see several new people posting reviews, so I thought I'd get mine in as well.

I've been playing on EU for almost 10 years now. Several things have changed over the years and some game settings have come to an end and have been restarted several times. Currently, my oldest character has had around 6 years of constant play in The Game Master's HU: Galactic game setting.

Over all though, the Rifts setting has been the most stable and has some of the longest running PCs on the site.

The rules you are asked to follow aren't difficult. Some of the rules are set up to provide some uniformity in all the "paper work" that goes into a Roleplaying game. Which makes it easier for GM's and AGM's to review and keep on top of their players as well as to provide some measure of fairness in character generation. Other rules are put in place to help keep the games going, because a slow game usually means loss of interest and then loss of players.

In my time on the site I've been in games that have crashed and I have had to withdraw from games when my RL schedule didn't allow the time necessary to play. I've been able to re-join the game with my old characters with no issues or hard feelings.

I've never had an issue with the GM's and site monitors. Yes, I've disagreed with some rulings or interpretations of Palladium's rules. I've presented my case to the GM and when they stick to their opinion, I roll with it. After all its their job to make these rulings and they've no doubt spent a lot more of their time preparing for the game than I have.

The site has recently undergone some restructuring, the most notable thing is the introduction of Explorer Points (EP). EP can be used for a number of different things; stat mods, new skills, automatic roll successes, additional PC's; etc. The rules are set out clearly and there are several ways to gain these points. The most notable are site support; GMing, AGMing, being a site MOD. There are also contests and special projects that grant EP.

I have played on several other sites that don't have as many rules and would equate closer to a table top game but none of those has ever lasted as long as EU has. All in all, I rate Explorers Unlimited as the best pbp site I have played on. So mush so, that I have donated money to keep the site up and running.

If you're interested, come on over, read up, and ask questions. You will get more than enough help from GMs and players alike. Follow the rules and don't take it personally if you're asked to do something a different way.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:56 pm

Knight

I love the H.U:Galactic setting it,s Great.
I hope thers a Update soon.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 am

Dungeon Crawler

I've been at EU for a while now, playing in two Heroes Unlimited based games. I started in the Century Station game, and branched out to the Galactic game after spending some time on the site. Over the time I've been there, EU has evolved in some very positive ways.

First, though, let me offer reviews of the games I'm in. HU: Century Station has been a wild ride. Narratively, the game offers plenty of action, with time for character development. The overarching plot is very open-ended, and adventures are serialized in a way that's very similar to the comic book format that gave rise to the superheroic RPG genre, in that individual adventures are somewhat encapsulated, but wider arcs can carry over from one adventure to the next. The conceit of the game is that the team of player characters are "recruited" in a very heavy-handed fashion by Century Station's government to serve as a sort of superheroic SWAT team (the Omegas). Parts of Century Station are so overrun with crime that they give off an Escape from New York kind of feel, and player character deaths that happen pretty frequently (I'll get to that) can add to the drama. I enjoy this game quite a bit, but it suffers from 2 major problems. I think HU is one of the more accessible arms of the Palladium megaverse for new players, so I feel it attracts more new players than other parts of EU do - which can result in some players whose characters are difficult for a variety of reasons (some are mopey or afraid and others are overly gritty "moody loners". The problem of character death is the other major problem - the team has a very high casualty rate, as new players flake out and stop posting for whatever reason, and their characters are killed. As mentioned before, this can serve to heighten the tension, but when it happens too often, it can veer into depressing. Overall, I really enjoy the game, I just feel players need some sort of breaking-in period, and if they decide to quit, maybe find other ways to get rid of them than killing them in battle.

HU: Galactic is another sort of animal entirely. Still a Heroes-based game, it is set on the far end of the Galaxy, and deals primarily with the very human Arismal, whose planet was destroyed by the villainous Atorians. HU Galactic requires some study for full immersion, as it makes heavy use of military protocols and etiquette, and if you're not familiar with that milieu, it can be daunting. If you take the time to get yourself familiar with the well-developed Arismal Defense Force military system, and learn some basic military jargon, the game becomes much easier (and there's forgiveness for minor protocol breaches, as the Arismal are in some very difficult extenuating circumstances). HU: Galactic makes good use of Palladium's insanity rules (who wouldn't be a touch crazy if they watched their home planet be destroyed?), but you can end up with a character who is significantly different (in terms of personality) than what you envisioned (as I did). Which can make gameplay challenging, but rewarding. Player characters in the game are part of an elite team within the A.D.F., known as the 1st Special Operations Group, and as the game is relatively new (in game time, only slightly more than 40 days have passed since the planet Arismal's destruction) some of the overarching plot has yet to be uncovered. The newest development is that there seems to be mutiny brewing in the fleet, which is a complication the Arismal don't need right now. Overall, this is a very fun game, though it did take me longer to get a sense of immersion than for Century Station, but it doesn't suffer as much from the high fatality rate that Century Station seems to have (sometimes characters of recalcitrant players are transferred away and become NPCs), and players are only admitted after submitting a writing sample and by a vote from the current players, which keeps player quality high. It's not an introductory game, is what I'm saying, but if you've got the time and put in the effort, it's a lot of fun.

EU, as an overall gaming site, has several assets. I game on several sites, and some are more rules-heavy, and some are more lax, and depending on the style of gaming you enjoy, you may prefer one over the other. I can adapt to any style of play, and have characters in games that run the whole range. EU has a distinct and well-enforced set of site-wide rules. If you're a more laissez-faire style of gamer, or more interested in roleplay than combat, EU may not be a good fit for you. However, I've found that the house rules provide a good structure for the narrative of the games. The EU site in general, as I've noted, has undergone some substantial changes. Firstly, the MDC and SDC branches of the site have merged, and all games are on the same board now. There were some perception problems, I think, for those who only played on the SDC-based "other worlds" forum, but those have largely evaporated. Secondly, the site has implemented a reward system, called "explorer points", that rewards solid game play and other contributions to the site (contests with EP rewards in the past have included NPC creation, item creation, and a short story competition). EP can be spent on a variety of things from ways to enhance your account on EU to new powers, skills, magic, or items for your character(s). The end result of all of this is the feeling that EU is run with an eye towards making a fair but enjoyable milieu for Palladium play-by-post gaming.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:25 pm

Wanderer

Comment: The Dark General of the Apocalypse and the right hand man to the Horseman of Death
I've been a long time player for EU, a Veteran if you will. I could do all sorts of stories that deal with TGM and other GMs, but this isn't the time for that. Instead, let me tell you why this is THE place to play Palladium Books games on the web.

First: The administration takes things very seriously. I've been to other sites where everything is lack luster, there's no organization, and the general attitude is...blah. EU is not like that. Many veterans take it upon themselves to help nurture new players and the administration is tough but fair. An example: Look at the character creation. Now make a character. You followed the directions, you did everything you thought you did right, but you had a lackluster appearance: White guy with tattoos. TGM and others will ask you questions so that you can fill out that portion. If you have problems, say with how you do the skills, there are those who would take the time to help you. There is a universal order to how things work. Sheets all look the same. It makes things easier to find and easier to navigate. But this could not have happened if TGM had not spent his time and money coming up with making things work.

Second comes the veterans. How do you become a veteran? Other than joining the armed forces (bu dump clang), you just have to be there long enough to see how things work and help others around you. These are the guys and girls who will point out quick fixes to your problems and attempt to get you into the game.

Third is THE GAME! That's right, some groups have been around for god knows how long. There is a rich history. Some groups are newer. And we're not just talking about Rifts Earth groups, but all Palladium games. Take for example Phase World. Phase world has been going strong for nearly as long as EU has been around. The only thing that has been there longer is the MercTown groups Spook Squad and Heroes for Hire. There are always dips and climbs in attendance, and with the new rules governing multiple character accounts, the site's attendance appears to be holding steady. But we don't want steady, we want more players. New players brings new blood, new ideas, new stories. And that brings me to my final point.

Community. That's right. you're not joining a gaming group, you're joining a gaming community. I can't tell you how many hours I've had just talking to some of the players on EU when we're not involved in a game. We're talking on a personal level. Some players become friends, some even view each other as family now. But that's how important this is to us. We are a gaming community gathered together to ensure we still have fun.

If you want to join a community to have fun, join us.

If you smell who the rat is cooking.

Super or otherwise, you are just a man, while I am a God!
-Darkseid

That was fairly ruthless father. I hope I made you proud.
-Aqualad

Always better to crash the mode
-Impulse

Unread postPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:37 pm

Knight

Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'
Hi all.
Over all impressions:
I've been on the site for a short time now. I find the experience to be good and for the most part constructive. I orginally found the site a while back when I was in two Robotech games. Currently I am in Century station game and considering another game. The stories and flexible character development are a welcome aspect I do not get in many games. The HU game like others stated already can be a tad heavy handed with plenty of combat. It can also be tough for new players to get into that posting when in the middle of a story when you have an active group with a rich background as the Omega team has. That said...

It is well worth the effort to fit in though. I have found players to be a good variety, highly creative at times and provide excellent feed back. In some cases co-operation and the ability to adept to others plans has been great as well. That spider swarm battle sewers being a good example showing the potential and current teamwork of Bravo Team. I have found that the use of good tactics can be a great way to avoid some character deaths. I also find having a detailed background and well thought out personality to help a lot..which leads me to..

one Potential flaw: (Others in this thread have this area covered the rest of already so this is a short list.)

1) One thing that may intimidate new players is character creation. The whole process is designed to help you flesh out your characters and keep an easy to read format once your used to it. I didn't think it so great at first awhile back. Now that I'm used to it I find it is a great method and worth the time taken.

2) Posting can be seen as a bit strict to new players. It is an opportunity to be a better player, improve posting ability and to better interact with other players (and GM's). if you take the advice given as intended to help you or as constructive Criticism it can be very educational for the most part. Players are given many chances to improve so long as your giving an honest effort and enjoying yourself.

Over all I'm enjoying my time there and would recommend the site. a solid 8/10.

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.

Last edited by Rimmerdal on Wed May 27, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:20 am

Champion

Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."
Does this sight have a Heroes Unlimited setting on just Earth?

Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:10 am

D-Bee

Comment: The Dark Lord of explorersunlimited.com.
Yes, if you count Century Station.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Champion

What is Century Station settings?

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:47 pm

Wanderer

This is Century Station

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:28 am

Champion

Is Century Station in the US?

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:29 pm

D-Bee

Yes it is. Century Station is HU2's answer to some of the archetypal city settings from comic books (e.g., Metropolis, Gotham City).

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:05 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
Century Station is a great Heroes Unlimited setting. It's very worth checking out.

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Image Image
HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:15 am

Champion

Ok, thank you.

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:16 am

Champion

Sorry for questions. I pulled up the book but it didn't really say and with dial-up its very time consuming to go surfing the net trying to find out what I got answered here. ^^

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:30 am

D-Bee

Comment: What? where am I?
SittingBull Dude:
As one of the GM's of the Century Station game, it is my solemn duty to RECRUIT YOU!!!!
Check out the History Thread for some background on the Omegas (that's the team, which has two units, Alpha and Bravo).
We have a Base. With a friggin' pool. Or did that get blown up? Hmmm.... Maybe don't count on the pool.
Team Photo! More or less up to date.

Thread hijacking over!

I gm Heroes Unlimited Century Station Bravo Team - I am Maniacal Laugh
Rogue-Z

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:17 am

Champion

I did check out the thread Jwillie, thank you.

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Adventurer

Wow. Quite the thread-jacking! :eek:

Okay, back to critiques/reviews of the EU community. ;)

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:22 pm

Champion

Apologies.

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:51 pm

Explorer

EU is the ONLY PBP style gaming which works effeciently.
I argue that the biggest problem (systematically) with PBP gaming is that it takes so loooong to carry out a game. This means that players loose interest quickly as they're excitement/engagement with a given game is lost in time waiting.
EU mitigates this by requiring players to adhere to rules which enforce and encourage posting on a regular basis. This theoritically helps to attract serious players who then feed off of each others post rates as this builds the environment and provides the player a consistent interactive game which they can interact with.
With that being said, I would like to make a critique and recommendations to better improve this PBP system.
EU still sustains (from time to time) "flakes" or game delays with players who haven't quite grasped protocol or site rules. I believe the measures in place help keep good players in and "flakes" out, I believe identifying an unprepared player can be done before a GM/AGM is investing any significant time in their character creation process and forward from there... doing so would save time/effort/enthusiasm/enjoyment of all committed participants.
EU's current process for bringing in new players is standardized and covers all bases with the players doing their research about the rules & protocol of the site. *BUT, how do we verify this?* Have you read all the site rules and regs? Yes.
(Not exactly verbatim) Yes or No responses to questions, where we're relying on the sole responsibility of the player to be 100% honest. This puts a player who read the rules in detail and the player who brushed over them to get an idea in the same category and ready to continue the process.
My recommendation would be to have the player complete a test/quiz which proves that they have gone through all of the site rules and protocol as required. If the potential player is required to do the research and find the correct answer on the site; this ensures they're doing the reading, and it's not a difficult test to complete (think of an 'open book' exam).
The next thing I recommend EU does to further lean out player apathy is to make the 'warning' process a little more strict. Before players are dropped and accounts disabled, they are given warnings. I appreciate the concept but I don't think it speaks to players as strongly as recieving some kind of immediate disciplinary action. A group doesn't want to necessarliy lose a player as this causes friction for the entire game itself. In order to hopefully avoid this friction and re-invigorate a player, why not roll up some proverbial newspaper and smack them on the nose?
A relatively small punishment associated with a warning would help drive things home... such as the deduction of 1 EP, or some immediate unfortunate loss of character gear (all players LOVE their precious loot).
Anyways, I do believe EU is an overall good system, and they ONLY PBP site/system that I've come across that works. These were just a couple things I noticed which I thought could be improved upon. Thanks for reading through to the end, if you made it this far. You have earned yourself a cookie. Now, go get a cookie. You earned it. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:17 pm

D-Bee

I was initially drawn to EU back in 2006 because I was unable to find a tabletop game in my local area. The EU community was significantly smaller then, but the organizational skill TGM brings to the board that binds the community together was already there. I remember the frenetic posting when I first started. And remember refreshing the board obsessively waiting for the next reply. It took me about a month or two to settle down into the slower pace of PBP. But I have to say that this slower pace suits my current lifestyle a lot better. I have yet to find another tabletop group, but I have stopped looking because EU satisfies a deeper need I didn't know that I had. The need to improve my writing and by extension my ability to communicate.

There are many truths laid out in the other reviews of EU that I agree with. What I would like to add beyond what has already been said is how EU has made me a more thoughtful communicator and that has spilled over into other aspects of my life. In essence, EU is an amalgam of stories that the GMs and players are collectively telling. A strength of the PBP format is that once something is posted, it remains there, part of the unfolding story. TGM's requirements for players and GMs on the site force a refinement on any given post into something that is readable. As a result, anytime one reads an adventure thread, it reads a lot like a story. Rather than simply being a conglomeration of intended actions from the players (e.g. "I shoot the goblin."), readers are given glimpses into the underlying motivations of the characters through internal monologues and interactive dialogues.

By setting the bar high, contributors to the site, players and GMs alike, are perpetually improving their writing capability. EU provides an avenue by which people can write about something they care about in an environment where judgment is minimized because everyone is there to have fun and enjoy themselves. I find myself reading other peoples' adventures, re-reading old adventures, making mental notes of another person's impressive post and work hard at any new posts I put up to best convey my thoughts. For me, the GM updates are descriptive and vivid enough that I can envision the action in my mind. Because of the slower pace, I can think about how my character would react to the situation (and I often do... sometimes for days) and formulate a descriptive post that will best communicate my intentions for my character. If possible, the post will include dialogue and internal monologues that reveal other facets of my character's personality or motivations. This then becomes storytelling rather than gaming.

We have some very talented writers on EU. Some of them came in with an abundance of talent, whereas others became talented through persistence. ALL of them have improved over the years. And I count myself very lucky to have access to such wonderful stories. I think the reason people's writing has improved is in part because people are passionate about and invested in the games. Equally important is because TGM sets a bare minimum of correct spelling and as close to proper English as one can manage. And finally, the more one practices at something, the better one gets at it. Whether we want to believe it or not, we are practicing every time we put up a post.

EU and PBP gaming is not for everyone. It is slow. Combat sequences can take months to resolve. The gratification generated from it is not the instant sort. It is also not the kind of game where one can power level up and run around to collect "phat lewt". Instead, your character might only have a store bought piece of armor and an energy pistol with a modified grip. But you as a player will remember the battle-scars that armor has born... the time that pistol saved the life of a princess. There is lore to even the mundane equipment your character bears and you will have been instrumental in forming it.

If imagination and stories are what draw you to role-playing... If you enjoy the journey more so than the destination... If you have a growing legend to tell... Give EU a try.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:19 am

Champion

Wow, just learned EU is a post once a week sight. Was this a given I had just missed?

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:20 pm

Adventurer

SittingBull wrote:
Wow, just learned EU is a post once a week sight. Was this a given I had just missed?

Actually, that's the minimum required post rate, but you've already left. *shrugs* Good luck elsewhere!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:38 am

Adventurer

SittingBull wrote:
Well after much discussion with one of your GMs, that's what he said. The PbP games I am in or run (over the past year and half) average daily or semi-daily posts aside from holidays. So I didn't see a point in occupying your GMs time any more and I can't realistically run any messenger all the time on dial up.

Thank you ^^

1. There are well over a dozen GMs and different campaigns on EU. Each has its own general feel and post rate. This guy just equated a single experience to be indicative of all the campaigns. That's like having a crappy adventure in one GM's running of Dead Reign and proclaiming that "Dead Reign sucks." SMH
2. If this player's daily PBP games are so awesome, why was he still looking at other PBP games :?:
3. Wow. Didn't know there were people still using dial-up. And here I thought my DSL sucked. This dude has my condolences...even though I have no idea why messenger was of any import in this response.

Again, best of luck elsewhere!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:36 pm

Hero

Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.
SittingBull wrote:
Does this sight have a Heroes Unlimited setting on just Earth?

There is HU here : http://plothook.net/RPG/forumdisplay.php?f=487

I am not a PBP player, so can't say if the game is any good or not, but a buddy of mine likes this site.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Explorer

Having been looking for local games and online games using the Palladium Fantasy for years now, I have tried many websites. I have started about 5 or 6 games in various places that ended up lasting a few months at most over the past few years. So far, I have found that the EU website is an active community of involved and interesting people. There is a great deal of structure and guidance available. Individual players may come and go, but I get the sense that this community will last a long time to come.

I only have intimate experience with the fantasy game that has begun recently, and it was so popular and there was so much interest that a second group has formed. The first group hadn't even progressed so far as to be out of the initial group development phase. I see this as a testament to not only this site specifically, but to the desire to have more Palladium Fantasy played in general.

The guy who runs the site is strict, but fair. He has rules, and structure that he sees as important and should be followed. The GM's ask for similar structure and regulate posts to measure up to a certain standard. This might throw some people off, but it adds to the games and encourages each player, Asst. GM and GM to bring their A game, and not to slack on their contribution to the community.

It's worth checking out if you have any interest in Palladium games. Take your time to look through the various house rules, and tables for skills, and abilities. You won't regret the experience.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:07 pm

D-Bee

I discovered EU about ten years ago, after my local role playing group fell apart. I was impressed with the site and the way it was run. The fact that there was such on emphasise on role playing (correct spelling, thought required for each post), not just hack and slash (which does happen at the appropriate time), I found very enjoyable. The time available to me between each post let me read and re-read the GM posts and other posts so I could construct my own post the way I wanted it to, to properly convey what my character was thinking, doing and saying. Unfortunately, after a couple of years and a trans-atlantic move, I had to quit playing due to real life issues that were preventing me from playing the way the site required, and that I felt it and myself deserved.

A few more years down the line, life is less stressful and I have returned to EU and was welcomed with open arms, figuratively speaking of course. The site has changed a bit since I last saw it and for the better, the people on it are just as friendly and helpful as ever, while many, many of the same people that were playing or GMing are still here, a true testament to the way the site is run and organised.

I'd never played PBP before EU and I haven't played anywhere since. I've seen no reason to, this site covers all my Palladium needs, with the settings I enjoy and the opportunity is there to play in others I have not yet tried. I've found the addition of the EP (Explorer Points) system a great way to encourage people to interact with the site and the people on it more then just the game(s) your playing. The fact you need EP to play more than one character requires you to think hard about which setting you really want to play in first, because you have to earn the EP to get the opportunity to create a new character for another setting you might want to play in. To me this helps a lot in weeding out 'flakes' as the time and effort you (and anyone helping you) put into the character creation is considerable, but well worth it. So people will say that the creation process is to long and time consuming and the the need for EP only makes it harder for the site to attract players and to that I say, true, but for good reason. The creation process is what it is after many years of fine tuning so after it's done, it's done. The time and information required really makes you think about the character you want to play and how best to play him or her within the game rules. Everyone can easily read it and find any information they need about your character quickly. The point system encourages proper play and rule adherence to earn, yes the site wants players, but players who can read and write english with some degree of knowledge and are in it for the long term. As others have stated before, this requirement has helped me with my own ability to write better, more clearly (I hope) as english was not my best subject in school.

I would gladly recommend the EU site (and have) to anyone who enjoys good role playing, with good people, in a friendly online atmosphere. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:29 am

D-Bee

Back in 2008 while I was deployed to Afghanistan my brother emailed me and said hey I found this game site that does roleplay for Rifts using post by post. At this point I only have heard of Rifts in stories friends told me of when they played it growing up. I dabbled in Robotech years before not realizing that I had indeed played in Palladium settings using those rules. So to my surprise I found Rifts immediately accessible. But the down side was I had to figure out how to make a character I enjoyed and was over whelmed with the choices. I read the rules on the site, and then messaged TGM to begin my character creation process. He then deluged me with questions on what I wanted to play and made it very easy to figure out that starting as a mundane character that specialized in maintenance (something I had done in real life on Aircraft) would make things easier to wrap my head around the task. He will guide you towards the role you wish to play and point out the books or resource he knows to accomplish successful character creation. This makes it very easy to immediately start building the character. Ask lots of questions, but first attempt to find the answer yourself. That will make you a better more self-reliant player faster.

In the past if you wanted to play a special character or use custom creation using conversion rules it had to be approved on a case by case basis. Explorer Points (EP) where then introduced to make this less arbitrary and something that rewards reliable players. EP is a currency that is earned by being active or participating in contests or helping the site by being a GM or assistant to a GM. So now a player can reward themselves by spending their earned EP to unlock a race, class (OCC), or to upgrade an existing character. This creates a separate and compelling incentive for player to stay active in a system that can feel slow compare to the instant gratification that a video game can bring.

I played my first character for two great years before military obligations forced me on hiatus. PBP is a great distraction for those in remote locations who only have lots of time and nothing to do. Like a pen pal telling a collaborative story. I returned to start a new adventure several years later.

This brings me to PBP format. At first when creating a character everything feels fresh and fast. Things are moving, GM’s are responding, the character is getting revised and edited to meet your expectations for the coming adventures. And then you fumble through your first Merctown posts, interact with your first NPC at the gates, meet your team, and then things slow down. Depending on your groups and GM's motivation you can make posts every few days to only once a week. Sometimes you get lucky and have a group that posts every other day. Your first adventure can cover only two days game time but take months to complete. This sounds terribly slow and painful to the instant gratification of table top and video games. But the difference is that you will have accomplished so much with your character from fleshing out his personality, to overcoming descriptive and daunting challenges, to creating relationships with teammates, and making friends on the site. Remember this and enjoy the long game. This character won’t disappear because the group collapsed. It won’t be left in a binder on a shelf to never be played again because you can’t find players to share in the experience. The character you cherish and put so much effort into rolls on into another adventure with new friends in a new group with a new GM.

You can be a lurker only posting when required at minimum rates or you can actively seek out and become engaged in the community. You will certainly have more fun with the later. You can do this by taking this game as an opportunity to better yourself while having fun. Go and learning how to write descriptive and engaging narrative. Read other adventure threads to inspire your own writing or to just enjoy good stories. I prefer to do both. Take in other players character sheets and spawn new ideas. Every character is an opportunity to excel and there is no such thing as an underpowered or overpowered character, only an underplayed and undervalued opportunity to explore a characters potential. Exploration is limited only by your imagination. Why not make it Unlimited.

Post subject: DOUBLE POST
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:20 am

D-Bee

My bad.

Last edited by corneliusyoung on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:07 am

D-Bee

What makes Explorers Unlimited work, and work well are its organizational structure, including but not limited to the consistency and diligence of the administration team. The second large factor is the quality of persons who partake in the community. These two factors are not independent.

I played on the site for 4 years before quitting rather abruptly 5 years ago. I was in a middle of some personal trauma and I used roleplaying as an opiate instead of working on my own issues. In hindsight, I have to applaud the legion of people whom were extremely patient with me as they helped to work out my issues. I maintained contact with several of these people, some of whom I know their kids names. We confide in each other over pains from growing up, then aches from being a grown up to joking about our fellow spouses, congradulating each other on promotions, kids etc etc. EU remains one of the few places on the internet where I have made friendships that endured.

When one such friend and I corresponded, we jawed about an old group that I use to partake in. Then he jokes about a blood letting recently. I just put in a large amount of time to projects at work. Feeling mightily accomplished, I joked about joining the game again on a whim and then decided to follow through.

Within a day of contacting the site owner and the dimension master, I had specific instructions to the remedied house rules from the site owner himself, as well as links to the discussions that lead to why these house rules were created. The dimension master green lit a character concept after I wrote him a background, again within hours. I rolled up a sheet of which he corrected me unofficially more than once so that I would not be handicapped in the formal review process. A fellow player, who is also a gm on the site, took extra time to review my sheet, my background, the items on my wishlist (this is coming to about 6-7000 words in total). We corrected everything before the official submission and the turnaround to approval by the DM was under an hour.

I have never had a nice thing to say about a bureaucracy, but as unflinching as EU can be with regards to the rules, of which there are many, they exist to make the administration more efficient. The administration is ran entirely by volunteers. They need all the help they can get. With good administration came a site wide fiat of house rules across the board for the entire palladium system. Every time someone had something new to dispute, there was a discussion, there was a ruling or there was a vote then a ruling. Fair and well paced games followed for the most part. Good players join and become even better players. Better players feel they ought to give back more, and become good gms.

I have nothing but nice things to say about the site. There are people here who love these games, sometimes entirely too much, but they are really really good at what they do. If Palladium games are your thing and if you are an experienced player, this is the place to go.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:46 pm

Champion

Are there any active Heroes Unlimited games, not in space, on EU? I have been looking but I don't see (or am missing) them.

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:29 am

D-Bee

Century Station.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Champion

Yes I looked there PerroMalo but there are no openings, or lack of openings even, listed.

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:14 pm

Knight

Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
SittingBull wrote:
Yes I looked there PerroMalo but there are no openings, or lack of openings even, listed.

I believe there are 4 openings, 2 in each group.

The site allows for 8 players per group. There are two groups for Century Station, with two different GM's.

As for the lack of openings listed, we shall correct that here in the next day or so. When I get the accurate counts from the Game Masters involved. Then we can update it a bit more regularly as we do the other games on the site.

In either case - feel free to create an account. Private Message the game masters involved in any group you want to join, and in any game as well. Get involved, find out if they have openings, check out the rules. Get on a waiting list, etc...

We are not omniscient, even though I am fairly close ;)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Champion

Weird because those games are not showing up to guests viewing the site, like all the other games DO show along with game openings.

Doctor Who
Bane

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Explorer

Explorers Unlimited has a podcast that is great to listen to if you are interested in joining the site. The format is simple and provides some insight into the world of EU. Find them here.(Linked on the right column of the page)

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:07 pm

D-Bee

Why I joined Explorers Unlimited

Several years ago, I was dinking around the interwebs, bored out of my skull. My gaming group had, by virtue of duty assignments, been disbanded. We had enjoyed almost two years of almost nightly gaming, in every system from D&D to RIFTS to the absolutely HORRIBLE Synnibarr (seriously, it was awful!). But I digress. Back to topic.

So there I was, trying to find SOMETHING to catch my interest, and I decided to see if I could find an on-line version of a great system. Typing in Rifts online, I was directed to Explorers Unlimited....and was hooked! Just reading through some of the archives, then the active adventure threads, I became a fan of the site. I was determined to make a character as soon as I could find the time to really invest in the site. Due to military and then business concerns, that time didn't come until three weeks ago.

While it took a while to get my character approved/finished (due to sickness and personal issues not related to the site), I am finally able to contribute to the great legacy which is the group Heroes for Hire.

But enough about me, let's talk about the site itself.
Navigating the site is extremely easy. Anyone who has spent ANY time on just about ANY forum (and, seriously, who hasn't spent time on some forums?) will be right at home.

Character creation can be a bit daunting, and I believe it SHOULD be. It helps weed out those who aren't serious about their character and the time it takes to make a good RP experience. Using the on-site dice rolling mechanic took me (I'm old...gimme a break! :-P ) a little bit, but I think I have a handle on it now.

The way gear is assigned is something a lot of people may have issues with, but as long as you are willing to make compromises, and pay attention to detail, you should be alright. Will you start with that Naruni Power Armor you want so badly? Probably not...in fact, I think I can say definitely not! But there is nothing wrong with a light Titan or NG suit, right? Heck, even something like a combat hovercycle is pretty awesome!

As a new player, I am still trying to get a handle on Explorer Points, the on-site currency that lets you do all kinds of nifty stuff, like get an automatic success on a critical skill roll, or a critical hit in combat, or purchase new character slots! How to earn them is simple, but you have to invest the time and effort.

If you are looking for some of the best role-players and writers, look no further than Explorers Unlimited. I invite you to come take a peek, read some of the Archives and Adventure threads, even some of the background stories! I promise you will leave with an appreciation of the wonderful people who make Explorers Unlimited what it is....a GREAT gaming experience!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

I just started playing on EU with a Dog Boy named Noth. Took a bit to get started though. It seems I came in with a bunch of others, xp awarding time, and current players making/leveling their characters. The Char Gen is fairly straight forward, or at least as much as any Palladium char gen is, but towards the end it got a bit difficult to get some finish up questions answered.

Once past Char Gen, I had a bit of trouble getting into the RP, but again I think it was a timing issue. Xp awarding, character updates, not to mention I had made an awkward to fold in character so I slipped by for a bit. Once I got going the going was good. Both the GM and AGM have worked out something that's proving to be fun. Their pulling in my character and another, plus another player is joining us soon, so they have their hands full. I think it might be helpful if they could get their Char Gen person an assistant during these time, even if just to field questions without actually approving people. Or maybe even a disclaimer letting new people know ahead of time about a back up during these times.

The community seems very accommodating and welcoming to new players. There is a bunch of events that players can earn boosts for their characters through helping the site and earning EP. I saw mention of large RP event that the pulled the different groups together, but I can't be sure since I have't seen it myself.

All in all, I can see EU being a fun place once things settle down. The story the the group I got involved with has been interesting to read and catch up on. And I'm getting hooked into the Chaos Earth adventure as well, which I hope to join when I earn the EP for a second character.

4/5 Stars

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:53 pm

D-Bee

I've been a member of EU for a little over a year now. I play two characters on site, a Tokanii Mystic and a Wolfen Paratrooper. I was an AGM for a very brief period of time as well, but time constraints made it so I couldn't dedicate the time to actively go on with it. I've found that two characters is a bit all I can handle, and really all I'd like to handle. I also donate ten bucks a month to keep the site up and running. I understand most reviews don't involve who the person is, but its important to mention all of these things. EU is what you make of it. By that I mean if you want to go and GM a few games, play ten different characters, and participate and every monthly contest Auger holds, then by all means go for it. However, if you're like me and time isn't always easily available, then you can sit back and relax, playing one or two characters and just be a part of the community rather than someone who influences it. EU works for whatever it is you're looking for. The community is also fantastic on EU. Everyone - at least from what I've seen - gets along fairly well and chats quite a bit offline. People are always there to support one another if someone is going through some personal issues or if work is hitting them hard. It is also an evolving site. Every month Auger hosts contests to dole out "EP", the fictional on-site currency that players can use to unlock more character slots or upgrade their existing characters. EP is awarded for player participation, as well as added EP bonuses for those who step up and GM or AGM games on the site. The site is now being funded through player donations using Patreon. This has taken the burden off of Auger who has personally funded the site for years and allowed us freeloaders to pay up our share. Which for myself, ten bucks a month is well worth the joy of playing on EU.

All in all, if you're looking for a PBP site to get your gaming fix, I really can't imagine a better site than EU. I looked around for a while and found nothing that comes close. Stop on by, say hi, and see if there isn't a game out here that tickles your fancy.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:27 am

D-Bee

Explorers Unlimited easily ranks as one of the most active and robust Palladium role playing forums on the internet. The activity is represented in numerous groups nearing eight members each at about 15+ groups playing Rifts Earth, Phase World, Chaos Earth, and Palladium Fantasy.

What does EU not have? A rotating cast competing for the place of shortest existing group.
The ensemble of Rifts Earth alone has groups that have and are still in play for five plus years and the youngest counted in years. (Oldest usually at the top of the site and descending downward) Membership includes numerous folks I have known since 2008 which comprises a majority of the site with a constantly growing retinue of active members. A member doesn't stay for a month. Nor a year. A member of EU is years of play with weekly and bi-weekly posting of a page worth of writing at a time multiplied by a 100 members.
The most important aspect about Explorers Unlimited that has kept the site thriving is this strong community. There are only a couple rules to follow that make this possible. Post once a week and respect one another. The results are immeasurable when a group adheres to such a simple directive. When you spend hours on a post that is creative, funny, and personal you know you can rely on your fellows to be there every week to respond to your hard work. When your GM is always present to the same degree and answering your queries on a daily basis there are no barriers to writing fantastic content. Content that goes on for years.

This has a cumulative influence on the site. A writer who might begin making their posts as one sentence will soon be writing a paragraph because other members will encourage and seek further effort by engaging that player in character with their own writing. A paragraph soon becomes many, then a page, and before long what was difficult one-liners is easy and exciting pages of description and action. Lets face it, writing can be hard, but when the community aren't the distraction or barrier you become free of the stress that pushes back on creativity.

The site is worthy in name, Explorers. Finding adventure in something unfamiliar. Be careful though. Before long you might look back on your journey and wonder,"How have the years accumulated as quickly as the friends you've made?"

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:44 am

D-Bee

I won't claim to be a long-time pro at pbp role playing because I'm new at it but EU is by far the most diligent and organized pbp site I have seen of the few I have come across. Dozens of players spread over many groups that share the same megaverse. Whether you like your fantasy, superhero and sci-fi genres all rolled into one or in their own 'world' separately, EU has it all. If you are at all a Palladium games fan then you just found your new home.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:40 am

Knight

The BtS,s Game on EU was Great,I hope some one will start a New One.