Upcoming projects for Phase World®

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Upcoming projects for Phase World®

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Hello all!

Well, as some of you may know, I have been working on the manuscript for a new Phase World book for some time now. As it nears completion, I thought I would tell a bit about it... get everyone excited and talking. Recently, Kevin gave me permission to start some hype, so here we go...

Thundercloud Galaxy
The second "galaxy book" for the Phase World setting, Thundercloud is not your typical space opera setting. This is Colonial Africa in space, complete with Galactic Game Hunters, Celebrity Explorers, and virgin territory to develop or exploit as the Player Characters see fit. Those who venture here will be swept up into the largest land grab in recorded history: the Scramble for the Thundercloud. Highlights (hopefully) will include...

* 5 new OCC's, including the Civil Engineer, Forge Cleric, and IDF Conscript
* 15 new playable species
* a detailed history of the Thundercloud Galaxy
* an in-depth look at the reasons behind the Scramble
* an interesting twist on the behaviors of the CCW and the TGE
* the UWW's terror regime
* new information about the Catyr, and the Oni
* new powers like the Kingdom of Desslyth, the Prides of Shing, and the dreaded Exodus Clusters
* the legend of Pezorjin, and of Motherhome-in-exile

AND, if that goes well, you might also see...

Corkscrew Galaxy
The third and final "galaxy book" for Palladium's Phase World setting, Corkscrew Galaxy will highlight the Cold War raging between the Consortium and the Transgalactic Empire. Knowing that a second Great War will destroy all parties involved, the superpowers fight each other through subtler means: covert actions, sabotage, assassination, and proxy wars. Highlights (hopefully) will include...

* new OCC's like the Phase World Power Armor Commando, and Galactic Security Agent
* the Consortium's answer to Invincible Guardsmen: the nano-augmented "Posts"
* secret projects and intelligence organisations
* a look at the history and Core Worlds of both the Consortium and the Transgalactic Empire
* Info on the Free World Council, its history, and political troubles ahead
* the Tail of the Corkscrew, and the powers therein

Nothing is ever written in stone, but these are the concepts I'm pitching. As I say, Thundercloud Galaxy will be submitted for consideration this Fall... and the ideas for Corkscrew are being conceived in tandem. This means that both books should flow into and compliment each other quite nicely (but you don't need one to play the other).

Anyways... I better get to work. :ok:
Last edited by Braden Campbell on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

:D :D
:ok:
If I buy copies and mail them to ya, will you sign them and return?
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

asajosh wrote::D :D

Just keep in mind that Braden lives outside the USA.

~Josh
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Sounds good!
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Yay!

Now get to work. Faster! FASTER! *snaps a whip*
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
asajosh wrote::D :D

Just keep in mind that Braden lives outside the USA.

~Josh

Canada isn't part of the US? I thought it was our "hat"?!

:lol: :P
I know, but thanks for the heads up :)
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Re: Upcoming projects for Phase World®

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Braden Campbell wrote:Hello all!

Well, as some of you may know, I have been working on the manuscript for a new Phase World book for some time now. As it nears completion, I thought I would tell a bit about it... get everyone excited and talking. Recently, Kevin gave me permission to start some hype, so here we go...

Thundercloud Galaxy
The second "galaxy book" for the Phase World setting, Thundercloud is not your typical space opera setting. This is Colonial Africa in space, complete with Galactic Game Hunters, Celebrity Explorers, and virgin territory to develop or exploit as the Player Characters see fit. Those who venture here will be swept up into the largest land grab in recorded history: the Scramble for the Thundercloud. Highlights (hopefully) will include...

* 4 new OCC's, including the Civil Engineer, and IDF Conscript
* a detailed history of the Thundercloud Galaxy
* an in-depth look at the reasons behind the Scramble
* an interesting twist on the behaviors of the CCW and the TGE
* the UWW's terror regime
* new information about the Catyr, and the Oni
* new powers like the Kingdom of Desslyth, the Prides of Shing, and the dreaded Exodus Clusters
* the legend of Pezorjin, and of Motherhome-in-exile

AND, if that goes well, you might also see...

Corkscrew Galaxy
The third and final "galaxy book" for Palladium's Phase World setting, Corkscrew Galaxy will highlight the Cold War raging between the Consortium and the Transgalactic Empire. Knowing that a second Great War will destroy all parties involved, the superpowers fight each other through subtler means: covert actions, sabotage, assassination, and proxy wars. Highlights (hopefully) will include...

* new OCC's like the Phase World Power Armor Commando, and Galactic Security Agent
* the Consortium's answer to Invincible Guardsmen: the nano-augmented "Posts"
* a look at the history and Core Worlds of both the Consortium and the Transgalactic Empire
* Info on the Free World Council, its history, and political troubles ahead
* the Tail of the Corkscrew, and the powers therein

Nothing is ever written in stone, but these are the concepts I'm pitching. As I say, Thundercloud Galaxy will be submitted for consideration this Fall... and the ideas for Corkscrew are being conceived in tandem. This means that both books should flow into and compliment each other quite nicely (but you don't need one to play the other).

Anyways... I better get to work. :ok:

Everything sounds good except for the Civil Engineer, which I can create out of existing OCCs... if I ever had need of one.
Hope you put more info about the Omegan Order in one of them!
Are wolfen NPCs going to have Latinish names, since their language is based on it (such as Tiberius Maximus Longinus, or somesuch)?
New info on the catyr and especially the oni would be great!
The nano-enhanced Posts sound really neat. I can guess where the tech came from...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Hope you will be doing plenty of roll play testing for these books... 8)
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Braden Campbell

Vrykolas2k wrote:Everything sounds good except for the Civil Engineer, which I can create out of existing OCCs...

Not this one you can't.

My idea for the Civil Engineer (which can also become a Combat Engineer with a few skill trade offs) is that they get the specialized skills of Highway Design and Engineering (can build roads, bridges, tunnels, and mag-lev tracks) and Architecture and Design (ability to actually build monuments, buildings,a nd whatnot). They can also supervise work teams... so the Player Character Civil Engineer can gather up a bunch of workers and use them (or force them) to build a road, or a bridge.

Motif-wise, I think it fits quite well, even if it dosen't get used all the time. Can't devlop the frontier without ripping down a few trees to make way for a parking lot, after all...
Last edited by Braden Campbell on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braden, GMPhD

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

That does sound like it would work in pretty much the settings that PB has! Good one Braden.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Dont worry about "sucking" if you ever played with Braden you would be supremley confident in his ability to weave a great story.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Aramanthus
Monk

With everything I've seen so far I have fear at all that Braden will produce material we will love to use for our Phase World campaigns. :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Don't we already have one of those in the RCC thread? :wink:

HH....FIE
NovenTheHero
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by NovenTheHero »

Sounds good, but I want Phaseworld Spacecraft more right now =(
My Forums
Image Image
My 5 gallon batch of Traditional Mead and my 5 1 gallon batches of Melomel (Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach, Stawberry-Peach, and Mixed Berry)
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

NovenTheHero wrote:Sounds good, but I want Phaseworld Spacecraft more right now =(

It's in the chute somewhere.

~Josh
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm looking forward to seeing Braden's "Spacecraft of Phase World!"

HH....FIE
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

NovenTheHero wrote:Sounds good, but I want Phaseworld Spacecraft more right now =(

Braden Campbell wrote:Its on Kevins desk now all i can do is wait
Braden Campbell

Vrykolas2k wrote:The nano-enhanced Posts sound really neat. I can guess where the tech came from...

Yeah.

There's a reason the CCW hasn't given the T'zee the boot...
Braden, GMPhD

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I say CCW and TGE control too much of the space of the Thundercloud Galaxy,I think 15% each is better.

Let it have it,s own powers.
Braden Campbell

The CCW controls 20% of the Thundercloud, and the TGE controll 33%.

Change it if you want, but I have to follow what's already been established... although I did fudge the FWC numbers as shown in Anvil Galaxy, since they were clearly wrong (no offense, Bill).
Braden, GMPhD

Aramanthus
Monk

I'll maintain similiar number to what Braden is maintaining. There is still a lot of terratory to explore.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm not sure. You'd have to ask Taalismn! Of course if it's not there you could crete it and post it! :D

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a good question. I'll think about it! :D Maybe you should too!

HH....FIE
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

duck-foot wrote:well if not i shall. ill call them, uhh what would you cal a race of large breasted green warrior alien women?

Orions?
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Boob-peas
Aramanthus
Monk

Maybe we could construct some Orions for the RCC section. But it would have to done so as not to offend and females on the forum.

HH....FIE
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

:D And a certain CCW captain named James T. Kirk SMILES!!
Josh Sinsapaugh

Braden Campbell wrote:The CCW controls 20% of the Thundercloud, and the TGE controll 33%.

Change it if you want, but I have to follow what's already been established... although I did fudge the FWC numbers as shown in Anvil Galaxy, since they were clearly wrong (no offense, Bill).

Plus, keep in mind (IIRC) those numbers never specify how much of their control is over planets with indiginous intelligent life.

So, the CCW may control 20%, but of that 20% only 1/4 (or less) of those planets have indiginous intelligent life.

Also, some planets may have no life whatsoever and are just mining operations, et cetera.

(I may be wrong here - and Braden correct me if I am wrong)

~ Josh
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Braden Campbell wrote:The CCW controls 20% of the Thundercloud, and the TGE controll 33%.

Plus, keep in mind (IIRC) those numbers never specify how much of their control is over planets with indiginous intelligent life.

So, the CCW may control 20%, but of that 20% only 1/4 (or less) of those planets have indiginous intelligent life.

Also, some planets may have no life whatsoever and are just mining operations, et cetera.

(I may be wrong here - and Braden correct me if I am wrong)

~ Josh

and its likely a good portion of that space is also just "we planted the flag" space that the groups claim but have not yet colonized or exploited properly.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

I can see those items being relavent. I also agree that the powers that be might claim more space than they can control. It's going to be interesting to see Braden's response.

HH....FIE
Braden Campbell

Aramanthus wrote: I also agree that the powers that be might claim more space than they can control. It's going to be interesting to see Braden's response.

I can only speak as to the Scramble for the Thundercloud, since that's where all the land grabbing is going on.

Following the Great War, the TGE and the CCW signed the Tanet Agreement... which laid down some rules for the colonizing/claiming/annexation of the Three Galaxies. One of the main points in that agreement is something called the principle of effectivity; meaning that if you claim a star system then you must put people there in order to back up your claim.

So, you cannot just plant a flag and move on, nor can you arbitrarily say "we own that star cluster". You have to use or loose your claim. (other powers who did not ratify the Tanet Agreement could do so, but not the two super powers).

The minimal number of people you have to leave there would be 1D100 people... a skeleton crew, or if you want them to have a chance for survival, make them an outpost (1D6x1000 people). Still, when you think about it, that is one small town in the midst of an entire planet. This makes for some very isolated and lonely people.
Last edited by Braden Campbell on Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braden, GMPhD

Aramanthus
Monk

Thank you for the update! More detail of your up coming project!!! I can't wait until it see the light of day! I'll pick it up!

HH....FIE
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Braden Campbell wrote:
Aramanthus wrote: I also agree that the powers that be might claim more space than they can control. It's going to be interesting to see Braden's response.

I can only speak as to the Scramble for the Thundercloud, since that's where all the land grabbing is going on.

Following the Great War, the TGE and the CCE signed the Tanet Agreement... which laid down some rules for the colonizing/claiming/annexation of the Three Galaxies. One of the main points in that agreement is something called the principle of effectivity; meaning that if you claim a star system then you must put people there in order to back up your claim.

So, you cannot just plant a flag and move on, nor can you arbitrarily say "we own that star cluster". You have to use or loose your claim. (other powers who did not ratify the Tanet Agreement could do so, but not the two super powers).

The minimal number of people you have to leave there would be 1D100 people... a skeleton crew, or if you want them to have a chance for survival, make them an outpost (1D6x1000 people). Still, when you think about it, that is one small town in the midst of an entire planet. This makes for some very isolated and lonely people.

Man, I really want this book.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Aramanthus
Monk

The tidbits he is giving us are just causing me to really want it all that more!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Are you going to put him on one of those explorer cruisers?

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Braden Campbell wrote:

Following the Great War, the TGE and the CCW signed the Tanet Agreement... which laid down some rules for the colonizing/claiming/annexation of the Three Galaxies. One of the main points in that agreement is something called the principle of effectivity; meaning that if you claim a star system then you must put people there in order to back up your claim.

so if i was to drop my current hometown onto a planet and set them up to be semi-self sufficent, i could claim an entire sector?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

Hmmm I could do that with mine too! Good thought GB.

HH....FIE
Braden Campbell

glitterboy2098 wrote:
so if i was to drop my current hometown onto a planet and set them up to be semi-self sufficent, i could claim an entire sector?

You could claim the enitre star system. If that planet was the only habitable one for 500 lightyears in any direction, then yes, you would also have the sector.
Braden, GMPhD

Aramanthus
Monk

That would be a lot of resources to draw upon! WOW! A staggering amount.
Last edited by Aramanthus on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HH....FIE
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

You hit the nail on the head, it is a battle for the resources of a galaxy and they steaks are controlling interest of the three galaxies. It is very exciting to role play in.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Aramanthus wrote:That would be a lot of rresources to draw upon! WOW! A staggering amount.

Claiming something and effectively drawing on its resources are two different things though, especially when talking about an entire planet, let alone an entire sector.

~ Josh
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

The scramble is about the claim so the resources will be there for the future, the fate of the galaxies is at stake.
Aramanthus
Monk

I know its tough to do more than claim a sector when your ships are barely FTL capable! But if one was it would be an unbelievable amount of material to draw upon.

HH....FIE
Braden Campbell

Then send a letter expressing your desire to see it.
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

Ah... yes.

In Phase World Spacecraft there is extensive mention of what's been going on in the Republik since Anvil Galaxy first came out.

In a nutshell, a collection of patriotic Golgan Gaus' (Generals) lead by Gaus Binjo, have allied with the robots of Mechanik to build a Feynman Radio: a device which can receive transmissions from the future. Thanks to the Golgan living 400 years from now, Gaus Binjo has managed to upgrade the fleet without having to invest in four centuries worth of R&D.

The Republik is now going on a last-ditch blitz to re-establish their buffer zone (which this time includes the whole of the Anvil Galaxy). Even better, they pretty much know how the next 400 years plays out, so they are consistently outmaneuvering their opponents. This is now creating a divergent timeline (or parallel universe if you prefer) where the Golgan Republik will become the masters of the Anvil in about 400 years (as well as having a big chunk of the Thundercloud to boot)...

This will split power in the Three Galaxies between the Republik, the TGE, and the CCW, disrupting the buildup of the two super powers into a final, cataclysmic confrontation.

Of interest, the rate of psychic clairvoyant ability is rapidly decreasing across the 3 G's because the futures that the psychics predict are being re-written by the Golgan radio.

My PC party is now trying to restore the proper flow of events by building a time machine, and travelling into the future. Once there, they will locate and destroy the Feynman Radio, effectively undoing three years worth of campaigning. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

Aramanthus
Monk

That is a very cool update Braden. I can't wait to get that book of yours when it comes out. Please Kevin rush this book! We need it badly!

HH....FIE
Braden Campbell

gadrin wrote:is the Feynman Radio or the Time Machine going to be detailed or left nebulous for the GM to plot out ?

Very basic on the Radio... a few ground rules so it doesn't become Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure ;)

so I take it the "Empire" version of the Golgans and their RCCs isn't really any different, they just made different choices ? The Lurgess Plague is still around and there might be some new divisions (like a Feynman Radio Corps or something) but they're still based off the basicgame/setting points.

Yup... it's just the Republik, only bigger and stronger.

what skills are you requiring for the PCs to build the Time Machine ? or is this done via a great amount of assistance from NPCs ?

Basically, my party has been on a three-year long quest to assemble the people who are smart enough and skilled enough to build the thing... but they are the ones who are making the mission.

Otherwise, I used the Temporal Skills from Transdimensional Turtles
Braden, GMPhD

Aramanthus
Monk

oppsss I goofed! :oops:
Last edited by Aramanthus on Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

This will make campaigns even more interesting. It sounds like your group has had it's hands full for quite awhile. Sounds like fun. I can't wait to see more of it when your book reaches our hands in the near future.

HH....FIE
Braden Campbell

They are being financially backed by Jelko Rodula... the only Altess to declare bankruptcy (he really just emptied all his accounts, and then left the Dynasty to found Hartigal Combine). Rodula appears in Phase World Spacecraft as a person of note. He is the Operator who built the star ship that will house the temporal equipment.

The physics and theory that is making this all possible comes from Frank Auklum (who doesn't appear in any books ...yet), a Human scientist with a legitimately rolled IQ of 29.

As for how the party figured out that the Golgan are screwing around with time... one of our party members is a Promethean Time Master, and the party has struggled for three actual years to put together all the subtle clues that have been laid down (Golgan Argosy is on the offensive again with upgraded weapons, psychic clairvoyance is being disrupted everywhere, the promethean is having severe headaches because he can see the ghostly afterimages of timelines which no longer exist, etc). The Second Stagers told him to restore the flow, but that is about all the help they have ever received.

Some sessions were, and I'm not exagerating here, several hours of argument regarding time travel and temporal theory. God bless them, my Players are getting close to the end of the campaign, after which I must promise no to run anything so cerebral ever again. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”