question about sonic speeds from skraypers

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cfcline
D-Bee

question about sonic speeds from skraypers

Unread post by cfcline »

So I have a player useing this power and super strength in my campaign he is telling me the speed punch deals 16d6 mega damage wwhereas normally it deals 4d6 sdc with no strength bounuses am I reading something wrong is is this player tying to use the system to his advantage?
VooDu
Explorer

Re: question about sonic speeds from skraypers

Unread post by VooDu »

Becomes weird with supernatural strength. What is it? If just using super fast punch it is only 4d6 sdc but I would give them the benefit of strength bonus even though it only has it for the fast punch 2d6 sdc version. The super fast power punch does 2d6 md but is two attacks. It may benefit the person to just use the benefits of supernatural strength if they have it rather than use the sonic speed versions.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

cfcline wrote:So I have a player useing this power and super strength in my campaign he is telling me the speed punch deals 16d6 mega damage wwhereas normally it deals 4d6 sdc with no strength bounuses am I reading something wrong is is this player tying to use the system to his advantage?

Sure, he'd get bonus PS damage on the punch (They are normally good about specifying if PS damage is not included, and the power doesn't say that it isn't. There is no need to read it that way after the semi-colon). However, he'd be getting SDC PS bonus damage. Now, he also gets +4 SDC damage for every 20 mph, so if he is doing at least 500MPH he can add 1 MD to his punch damage. Otherwise, he's just using the punch damage from supernatural strength for MD punches.

I'm betting that he was trying to claim that it should do 4 times his punch strength (since the superfast punch is 4 times the damage of the normal punch of 1d6 sdc in the Heroes Unlimited 2nd edition version of the power) of 4d6MD for a PS of 31-35. However, that doesn't apply here. If he doesn't like it, point out that the extraordinary speed power makes it clear the extra speed is doing SDC level damage, not MDC.

By rule, if he is traveling at least 500 mph he will do 4d6+1 MD instead of 4d6 MD. Now, if you want to house rule a bit of extra damage at high speed on a power attack, you could (I'd just throw in the extra 2d6 from the power on top of the doubled 4d6 and let him do 1d6x10 MD on a high speed power punch for 2 actions (1d6x10+1 if he is traveling over 500 mph); we always rolled 8d6 instead of 1d4x10 for the supernatural PS 31-35 range on a power attack).
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
cfcline
D-Bee

Unread post by cfcline »

Thank you both for your help I will bring this up to him at the next session.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”