Contradictory humbuggery on spell description(s)

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DhAkael
Knight

Contradictory humbuggery on spell description(s)

Unread post by DhAkael »

Cosmic Ray is an odd one; they say duration is instant, THEN go on to say "xDy+Z points direct to Hit Point per melee to most living beings." As a GM, I am [CENSORED] confuesd here because it states the duration is "instant" but then gives a "per melee" for the dice damage.

So what IS it?! a single hit / single damage roll, or damage over duration based on level? :frust: :badbad: :thwak:
(Yet again another case of the editor being asleep at the wheel over at PBooks central office.)
:roll: :x
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Re: Contradictory humbuggery on spell description(s)

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Obviously the spell does no damage because it lasts for an instant but takes a melee to do damage

On a more serious note, does it look good as a one shot or like it needs a duration?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Contradictory humbuggery on spell description(s)

Unread post by eliakon »

It looks like the original spell was a DoT spell.
That was deemed overpowered, so it was turned into an instant spell, and in the usual Palladium editing, the previous DoT text was not removed.
The spell is insanely good as written, so there is no need to make it even more powerful (in my opinion at least).
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”