Question For Gleba About DB12

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Question For Gleba About DB12

Unread post by The Beast »

I was thumbing through Dimensional Outbreak when I noticed that the spells Curse: Corrupted Blood and Curse: Hell Binding (page 189) both had their ranges listed as self. I was wondering if you would enlighten us as to what the correct ranges for those spells are. I highly doubt anyone would cast them on themselves after reading their descriptions. Thank you.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Re: Question For Gleba About DB12

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

The Beast wrote:I was thumbing through Dimensional Outbreak when I noticed that the spells Curse: Corrupted Blood and Curse: Hell Binding (page 189) both had their ranges listed as self. I was wondering if you would enlighten us as to what the correct ranges for those spells are. I highly doubt anyone would cast them on themselves after reading their descriptions. Thank you.

Hey Beast,

The two spells in question are not my creation. Kevin is often inspired to add or fill in possible gaps in the original manuscript. My interpretation from reading them is that curses are intended to be inflicted on "others". You're right, why cast them on yourself? This is also implied from the Sacrifice Required section where in Corrupted Blood you need the victims true name and in Hell Binding a piece of the victim; hair, tooth, blood and so on.

From a story telling aspect I would see these as being obstacles that the player character would need to find a way to break. I don't see these being spells most player characters would want, but if you had an enemy NPC want to try and cast on a player character that goes back to it being part of the story you're trying to tell. Demonic being are powerful and so is Blood Magic. As a GM I would not worry about range.

Sorry probably not the answer you're looking for but I am up for discussion if you would like to discuss further.
ImageImage
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Just to throw some wood on the fire: What if it's a faustian bargin/trick kind of thing? The reason it's a range of self is the demons have to trick mortals into casting it, thinking it's going to be inflicted on enemies.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

or to be used on mortals they are possessing?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”