Can Slush Planets (Rifter #19 planet builder) support life?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kinghawke
Explorer

Can Slush Planets (Rifter #19 planet builder) support life?

Unread post by Kinghawke »

Slush Planets are between gaseous & mineral planets. certain mineral planets can support life. gaseous planets cannot. can slush planets support life?
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it
taalismn
Priest

Re: Can Slush Planets (Rifter #19 planet builder) support li

Unread post by taalismn »

IMHO, you can go with either 'life, but not as we know it', with exotic chemistries and life cycles, or seeded life that is designed specifically to exploit some small niche environ(such as a band of oxygen in the atmosphere, or layer of water skinning the surface of the chemical slush).

Similarly, sci-fi is full of 'hydrogen breathers' originating on gas giant worlds, typically evolving (slllllooowwwllllyyy) from self-replicating molecules combining in the slush-layers of the lower atmosphere and becoming higher-band floaters....or, again, the result of deliberate seeding operations.

Either way, the lifeforms tend to be rather kooky, given the thin margins they have to survive in(too cold, too pressurized, not enough ambient energy, etc....)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I've come across one hydrogen breather and one comet life form in all of my sci-fi readings. (in the 'up-lift' series (only mentioned in one book) and the Dragon Riders of Pern books (prominent in only one) respectively.

If you are talking about sentient life forms on slushy planets/comets….I would say no.the metabolism of life forms on such planets would probably be too slow for evolution to up-lift them in the life span of a solar system.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I've come across one hydrogen breather and one comet life form in all of my sci-fi readings. (in the 'up-lift' series (only mentioned in one book) and the Dragon Riders of Pern books (prominent in only one) respectively..

David Brin's Hydrogen Breather Order of life plays a larger role in the Sooner Trilogy.
Kevin J. Anderson's Saga of Seven Suns series has gas giant natives as antagonists.
Arthur C. Clarke's Meeting with Medusa features the best short story depiction of floaters(an expanded universe sequel written by others makes them intelligent)

The TV series Andromeda has hydrogen breathers as one of the most-feared enemies(before the Magog show up) of the All Systems Alliance. 'Torchship' raids are apparently capable of rendering whole planets lifeless.

David Brin and Gregory Benford's The Heart of the Comet also features cometary lifeforms('Haleyforms').

In another author's 'hard' sci-fi series, protolife is discovered in Ort Cloud/Kuiper Belt objects being harvested for food chemicals. While not complex, the macromolecules prove dangerous enough to the humans stupid enough to wander in and provide them with an energy source and usable, readily-dissolvable-in-water protein....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I guess I have been reading around the books that mention them.

Thou I just remembered another place about 'cold sentients'. In the Tales from Known Space (Man-Kzin wars) universe has an H or He based life form that act as interstellar merchants.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I guess I have been reading around the books that mention them.

Thou I just remembered another place about 'cold sentients'. In the Tales from Known Space (Man-Kzin wars) universe has an H or He based life form that act as interstellar merchants.

The Outsiders.

Good call!

The Lensmen series also has a few very cold environ aliens including the Palanians, who actually exist across several levels of reality, so what you see is actually the 'tip of the iceberg'(the Wrinkle in Time series also has a few critters like that...living tesseracts, but they're an entirely different environmental niche than the basis of this thread).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would, personally, say that since this is not a hard sci-fi game but a science-fantasy game...
Go for it.
Life should be able to exist anywhere considering what sort of rules you have in the game.
There is no reason you shouldn't be able to have life in slush worlds, gas giants, stars, deep space, comets, or even weirder places.
It will probably not be 3d6 stat bipeds that amazingly have really sexy females...
...but that is not the only kind of life so that shouldn't be a problem.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
taalismn
Priest

eliakon wrote:I would, personally, say that since this is not a hard sci-fi game but a science-fantasy game...
Go for it.
Life should be able to exist anywhere considering what sort of rules you have in the game.
There is no reason you shouldn't be able to have life in slush worlds, gas giants, stars, deep space, comets, or even weirder places.
It will probably not be 3d6 stat bipeds that amazingly have really sexy females...

Or the sexy female space alien is a psychic projection meant to facilitate communication...or feeding....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:
eliakon wrote:I would, personally, say that since this is not a hard sci-fi game but a science-fantasy game...
Go for it.

Or the sexy female space alien is a psychic projection meant to facilitate communication...or feeding....

Why does that bring to mind on the original ST episode with the planet for playing & Bones.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:[
Why does that bring to mind on the original ST episode with the planet for playing & Bones.

I'd have thought of the OST salt vampire that could appear as a human being.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

Given the diversity of aliens in Palladium's Aliens Unlimited RPG, you can definitely have life on a slush planet. You've aliens comprised of living rock to sentient humanoid plants.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

When the OP said "Slush Planet" my brain went to a place where the world was a combination of water and ice planets (you know..slush). I pictured walrus men, penguin folk, and all sorts of beings adapted for the near freezing, but not quite solid world. Guess I had the wrong description in my head.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:When the OP said "Slush Planet" my brain went to a place where the world was a combination of water and ice planets (you know..slush). I pictured walrus men, penguin folk, and all sorts of beings adapted for the near freezing, but not quite solid world. Guess I had the wrong description in my head.

Or SnoCone World...
"Yep, definitely Freaky Berry."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:When the OP said "Slush Planet" my brain went to a place where the world was a combination of water and ice planets (you know..slush). I pictured walrus men, penguin folk, and all sorts of beings adapted for the near freezing, but not quite solid world. Guess I had the wrong description in my head.

Using the HU alien world modifications table, the above would be a 'frozen world'.
Still slushy but with H2O instead of Methane or Hydrogen/Helium.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”