Drone ships

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Drone ships

Unread post by dragonfett »

Considering that the US Military uses Unmanned Ariel Vehicles (UAV's) for various things, including launching missiles, what role do you unmanned spaceships would have in the 3 Galaxies? Advanced Drone Fighters with robot AI's? Long distance cargo haulers? Mining ships?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Drone ships

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

dragonfett wrote:Considering that the US Military uses Unmanned Ariel Vehicles (UAV's) for various things, including launching missiles, what role do you unmanned spaceships would have in the 3 Galaxies? Advanced Drone Fighters with robot AI's? Long distance cargo haulers? Mining ships?

The main cultures of the three galaxies tend to distrust AI due to a war with intelligent machines in their pasts. Think the butlerian jihad from dune or the cylons from battlestar Galactica. As a result AI is something most have avoided research on, and their capabilities in that area are limited.

Their AI tech isn't really up yo drone fighters as a result. And with remote piloted systems too easily jammed, and usually limited by light speed issues over a distance, they aren't going to be very common either.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Naruni Enterprises has the market cornered. Mercenaries Book for stats. I'm sure for the right price space mods can be added.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

say652 wrote:Naruni Enterprises has the market cornered. Mercenaries Book for stats. I'm sure for the right price space mods can be added.

This.
Any newcomer cultures that come out with drones are likely to either be subject to acute scrutiny, especially with an eye towards countering that culture's drone capabilities, and/or would be shunned altogether. Even if allied to a major faction, the drone-users would be seen as a battlefield liability due to the perceived vulnerability of the drone systems.

Older culture(i.e. Ancients, like in THundercloud Galaxy) drone systems tend to be regarded as dangerous artifacts best treated with caution in handling.

Societies like Neil Asher's Polity and Ian Banks' Culture, with their demigod-tier AIs running things, and fleets of AI-run warships, would make the Three Galaxies cultures plotz themselves with anxiety.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”