Phase Fields and Force Fields

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Phase Fields and Force Fields

Unread post by Axelmania »

Did we ever get a canon answer on whether you can have both up?

The 1/10 is such a great benefit I'd probably look to other sources of regenerating MDC besides a force field rather than part with it.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Phase Fields and Force Fields

Unread post by The Beast »

No we did not.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:Did we ever get a canon answer on whether you can have both up?

The 1/10 is such a great benefit I'd probably look to other sources of regenerating MDC besides a force field rather than part with it.

I'm not aware of any canon indication you can not, which means you canonically can by default last time I checked.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

personally i'd say no, but that is mainly because i like the idea of the players having to make such choices during combat. do they go with the forcefield that absorbs damage entirely, or the phase field that drastically reduces the damage but allows the hits to strike the hull?

though if you have both the best route might be to put up the forcefield, then switch to the phase field when the forcefield is depleted of MDC.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

I guess the question isn't so much "can I run both at the same time" it's more "does my phase field protect my force field so it takes 1/10, or does my force field have to be destroyed before I can enjoy the 1/10" ?

If it protects the force field then you can effectively have 1600 MDC with 10 MDC regenerated per melee round, using the heaviest model.

I can see why this would make vibro blades a lot more popular because that kind of protection would really deplete your ammo before you killed an opponent.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

<3 And I'm in phaseworld! Can this loophole munch be built into a cyborg?
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I wouldn't allow it. I'd rule that two fields attempting to cover the same region would interfere with each other.

For the same reason, I wouldn't allow a character to have multiple force field generators active at the same time.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Axelmania
Knight

With e-clips it's a self-correcting problem since they burn out fast. Trying to power 2 force fields with 1 nuclear engine should have some penalties, but then there should also be a difference between the relative power drain on a 7ft suit of power armor vs a 14 ft.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Since force fields block phasing through them I would say the phase field cannot project past the forcefield. Suppose they could be layered but the forcefield could not gain the 1/10 protection.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mlp7029 wrote:Since force fields block phasing through them I would say the phase field cannot project past the forcefield. Suppose they could be layered but the forcefield could not gain the 1/10 protection.

^best answer^
This answer is simply the best one so far I feel... as it has a rational, logical, game rules reason for why it is.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

I would put the force field outside of the phase field because it is intangible, and then any damage after the force field is depleted hits the phase field....

It makes for good game play and without an official ruling I don't see why you can't have both.

Good question! I rarely think about those two things, but I have an adventure for some players where an enemy has a phase field...I will implement these if/when the players use a phase field and forcefield.
Axelmania
Knight

eliakon wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:Since force fields block phasing through them I would say the phase field cannot project past the forcefield. Suppose they could be layered but the forcefield could not gain the 1/10 protection.

^best answer^
This answer is simply the best one so far I feel... as it has a rational, logical, game rules reason for why it is.

Yeah that's a really good answer, didn't think of that part.

This is kind of similar to how in GURPS, the subtract effect of Damage Resistance (similar to Force Field) always applies BEFORE the damage divisors of Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction (similar to Phase Field) barring Cosmic enhancement to ignore rules.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”