Phase Tech/Powers vs. Vampires

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Phase Tech/Powers vs. Vampires

Unread post by dragonfett »

Can vampires be hurt by Phase Powers and/or Phase Tech? If so, can they be killed by it?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Re: Phase Tech/Powers vs. Vampires

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Phase stuff can hurt things otherwise invulnerable so id say yes on both counts.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Phase powers are like magic and beyond magic, they can damage vampires, werewolves and other invulnerable creatures, maybe not slow their regen or kill them outright, but certainly damage them.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
dragonfett
Knight

This has made me think of a follow up question, how do vampires work in outer space, specifically closer to a star? Would they, say for instance, act like it's always daytime? Would they take damage from looking at a star through a space ship/stations view port?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

dragonfett wrote:Can vampires be hurt by Phase Powers and/or Phase Tech? If so, can they be killed by it?

Traditional Vampires
hurt…yes
kill…no

Other vampires.
hurt…yes
kill…depends on that vamp's particulars.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

dragonfett wrote:Can vampires be hurt by Phase Powers and/or Phase Tech? If so, can they be killed by it?

Hurt, yes.

Killed, no, they require the usual finishing touches, Phase Weaponry can just KO them for a bit until they regenerate.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Riftmaker
Adventurer

dragonfett wrote:This has made me think of a follow up question, how do vampires work in outer space, specifically closer to a star? Would they, say for instance, act like it's always daytime? Would they take damage from looking at a star through a space ship/stations view port?

As per heros unlimited i think they bond to a space ship not " soil of homeland" like on earth. Sunlight can kill them but not distant starlight they need to be IN a solar system. No details on say if they'd take less damage on mar cuz its further from the sun than earth.
dragonfett
Knight

Riftmaker wrote:
dragonfett wrote:This has made me think of a follow up question, how do vampires work in outer space, specifically closer to a star? Would they, say for instance, act like it's always daytime? Would they take damage from looking at a star through a space ship/stations view port?

As per heros unlimited i think they bond to a space ship not " soil of homeland" like on earth. Sunlight can kill them but not distant starlight they need to be IN a solar system. No details on say if they'd take less damage on mar cuz its further from the sun than earth.

Which book is that, Aliens Unlimited?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Riftmaker
Adventurer

I cant remember is there or maybe the galaxy guide
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

These are not covered within any of the texts I know.

However, I don't have the Rifts vamp sourcebook.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Hurt, yes.

Killed, no, they require the usual finishing touches, Phase Weaponry can just KO them for a bit until they regenerate.

Where does it say a phase weapon can't kill them? They explicitly disrupt the process that keep the vampire functional it would seem like they should be able to kill them instead of simply just knock them down to zero and keep them there as long as you're shooting them.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Hurt, yes.

Where does it say a phase weapon can't kill them? They explicitly disrupt the process that keep the vampire functional it would seem like they should be able to kill them instead of simply just knock them down to zero and keep them there as long as you're shooting them.

It does not say it CAN kill them, while the vampire lists a specific set of things which can kill them. it only says they "suffer" from them. By default unless it explictly says it can kill them, then the default "can only be killed by *list* has not been modified, only the list of "takes damage from *list*". As There are other things that can damage vampires without killing them, this means the two lists are not automatically the same. Phase weapons were added to "list of things to harm vampires", but if they can kill them it neglected to mention it explictly.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Phase stuff is weird on an almost magic/psionic level. Maybe it's something in-between. That's probably why, since mag/psi can also damage vampires.

Phase damage is healed slowly by everyone, including vampires. I can't remember I think it was something like melee rounds > minutes/hours.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Riftmaker wrote:

There is a blurb in one of the Phase World/Three Galaxies Sourcebooks about a cold world where the sun in question is weaker than Earth's is, and the nights are exceptionally long.....overrun by a vampire infestation.

The Blurb -part of a HL&S -implies that vampires are mystically vulnerable to a local star regardless of how strong or weak its light is. (The HL&S in question requires Our Heroes to try and survive the long, cold night until the sun comes up on that world.)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

A Promethean armed with a phasesword, full strength punch + Sword or Restrained punch+Damage bonus+ sword?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:A Promethean armed with a phasesword, full strength punch + Sword or Restrained punch+Damage bonus+ sword?

Neither. Supernatural strength does not stack with weapons as per canon in Rifts. you do phase sword damage + PS bonus damage.

I never got it, it's a completely arbitrary "balance" rule.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Lol. K
Axelmania
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Supernatural strength does not stack with weapons as per canon in Rifts.

Not entirely true, some weapons like the resin ones in Xiticix Invasion explicitly say to add supernatural PS punch damage. I think some Gargoyle weapons might have also done.

If there was some statement introduced to 'use the higher of the two' rather than stack, I believe individual weapon 'stack these' type statements would over-ride it on a local basis.

Did anyone ever compile a list of these?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I never compiled a list. Never needed to. I just apply PS damage bonus and in the cases of strength types that offer a specific punch damage, that as well, to melee weapons. Honestly the game works better that way, supernatural strength is no joke.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Axelmania wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Supernatural strength does not stack with weapons as per canon in Rifts.

Not entirely true, some weapons like the resin ones in Xiticix Invasion explicitly say to add supernatural PS punch damage. I think some Gargoyle weapons might have also done.

If there was some statement introduced to 'use the higher of the two' rather than stack, I believe individual weapon 'stack these' type statements would over-ride it on a local basis.

It's on a case by case basis; the NG books have "include punch damage" for some of their PA's and Robots with MDC melee weapons, while the Phase swords specifically states "Use PS bonus".
It is easy to see where the confusion can come in. :frust:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
say652 wrote:A Promethean armed with a phasesword, full strength punch + Sword or Restrained punch+Damage bonus+ sword?

Neither. Supernatural strength does not stack with weapons as per canon in Rifts. you do phase sword damage + PS bonus damage.

I never got it, it's a completely arbitrary "balance" rule.

NS is correct that as a core rule that SNPS h2h damage does not stack with melee weapon damage.

While there are individual weapon exceptions, they do not negate the core rule.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Axelmania wrote:

It is true to cite the rule. the fact certain weapons may have exceptions do not negate the rule, it merely provides listed exceptions. He was asking about Phase Swords, Phase Swords do not have an exception.

It's like saying the Speed Limit isn't necessiarly (say) 55 MPH because an ambulance can speed faster than that on it's way to rescue someone. it's true, but it's also isn't relevant to the question at hand.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I will houserule SnPs+Psisword damage.
Axelmania
Knight

There's also the vibro weapons attached to the guns of the Ojagee in SA2 which add to punch damage.

Now I'm interested in what the highest-damage weapon we can find which explicitly adds to punch.

I know there's a lot of high damage rune swords out there and the like but I don't think they all said to add to punch.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Warlords of Russia giantsize Vibroblades 5D6+Robot ps md. Kind of why the phasesword ruling is really really dumb
Axelmania
Knight

The problem there is, an explicit ruling about stacking with robot PS may not necessarily mean it can stack with supernatural...

Not that robot-stack but not dragon-stack makes sense, we're already in the realm of non-sense when going the RAW root of some physical swords getting SNPS added and others not...

As we know, Supernatural PS is generally more damaging, so it's mostly just weapons which stack with that (or more broadly 'punch damage') that matter.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I could recite the HU2 ruling but no need as this is Rifts.
I say use the house rule of common sense.
If Billy Borgs strength is added Danny Dragons should also be.
Axelmania
Knight

I agree, but if we're incorporating common sense house rulesthen we'd always stack the punch damage, not just for ones which explicitly say that, so this is keeping in the 'the technical RAW' frame of mind for the benefit of the non-stacking objectors.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

DhAkael wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

It's on a case by case basis; the NG books have "include punch damage" for some of their PA's and Robots with MDC melee weapons, while the Phase swords specifically states "Use PS bonus".
It is easy to see where the confusion can come in. :frust:

The mellee damage and sn str rule has been changed at least 3 times.
Started out the higher of the two then it went to the two combined and now it is as I understand it back the the higher of the two in RUE. So it may not be a case by case but a running target on the rule.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”