Why Gene-Tech?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Why Gene-Tech?

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Why even have the race, when they're like, almost exactly the same as the already-existing Gene-Splicers, with the same technology, evil alignment, and so on...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Why Gene-Tech?

Unread post by Nightmask »

Did come off confusing, although they aren't considered quite at the level of the Gene-Splicers in skill or evil. Maybe they're just meant to represent a more accessible route for a PC group or GM for gene-modifications for a PC or for NPC heroes/villains, particularly since Gene-Splicers were described as certain to do things for the Evil Lutz and not likely to be paid to provide a safe upgrade, Gene-Tech meanwhile seem willing to provide such things as a service without the kind of issues you'd get from the Splicers.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

IIRC both the Gene-Tech and Gene-Splicers are different races, so while they might be similar, it could be to:
-add diversity in the same given area of expertise to avoid stale sources (Gene-Splicers aren't the only game in town on Rifts Earth for genetic engineering, why should 3G/PW be any different?)
-give the gene-splicers a rival of equal/similar capability without creating a splinter group(s)
-motivational differences between the two races (there agendas could be different, so could their ethics which I think is implied)
-on the surface the results might be similar, but the approaches they use might be different
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

or it could be that one or the other is a splinter group, the two groups seperated by some difference of opinion in the far past, leading them to take different paths?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

glitterboy2098 wrote:or it could be that one or the other is a splinter group, the two groups seperated by some difference of opinion in the far past, leading them to take different paths?

I favor this.
Really, to the casual eye, only they know the difference.
Also makes for the fun possibility of Gene-tech/Gene-Splicer conflicts(via proxy), with the dupes not knowing, in the end, just what the hell the two groups are fighting over(major difference over specific applications of genetic engineering, or something asinine like what side of the plate the salad fork goes on?).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:or it could be that one or the other is a splinter group, the two groups seperated by some difference of opinion in the far past, leading them to take different paths?

IINM though this might be ruled out by the flavor text w/re to the Gene-Tech, though when I reviewed their overall stats earlier and it would certainly be possible that they are related and enough time has passed for them to evolve into separate species (like the Altes and True Atlanteans IIRC).
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

ShadowLogan wrote:

IINM though this might be ruled out by the flavor text w/re to the Gene-Tech, though when I reviewed their overall stats earlier and it would certainly be possible that they are related and enough time has passed for them to evolve into separate species (like the Altes and True Atlanteans IIRC).

Myself I'd say that they're unrelated, you're talking things on a megaversal scale so the odds that more than one race made the breakthroughs with regards to genetics we see with Gene-Splicers and Gene-Techs is almost certain. Since most races we see are humanoid to purely human in appearance it'd be no surprise that while 'improving' themselves two otherwise unrelated groups would develop similar and in some cases identical enhancements since they're modifying the same basic structure. The After The Bomb setting was potentially heading in that direction before the crash, and pre-Rifts Earth was likely heading that way as well as evidenced by what we've seen particularly Lone Star.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Nightmask wrote:[

Myself I'd say that they're unrelated, you're talking things on a megaversal scale so the odds that more than one race made the breakthroughs with regards to genetics we see with Gene-Splicers and Gene-Techs is almost certain. Since most races we see are humanoid to purely human in appearance it'd be no surprise that while 'improving' themselves two otherwise unrelated groups would develop similar and in some cases identical enhancements since they're modifying the same basic structure. The After The Bomb setting was potentially heading in that direction before the crash, and pre-Rifts Earth was likely heading that way as well as evidenced by what we've seen particularly Lone Star.

Gene-Splicer: "Only we got there FIRST."
Gene-Tech: "Oh no you didn't."
GS: "Did too."
GT: "Did NOT."
GS: "Can prove it through forensic genetics!"
GT: "We both know that the genetic data can be manipulated either way by other of us to muddle that, so why even suggest it?"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

taalismn wrote:
Nightmask wrote:[

Gene-Splicer: "Only we got there FIRST."
Gene-Tech: "Oh no you didn't."
GS: "Did too."
GT: "Did NOT."
GS: "Can prove it through forensic genetics!"
GT: "We both know that the genetic data can be manipulated either way by other of us to muddle that, so why even suggest it?"

*The Gene-Splicer pulls out his copy of Mindwerks. "Say again?"
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Apparently the Gene Splicers kicked the the GeneTech out, because they were creating beings with multiple buttocks. the GeneTech see single buttocked beings as evolutionary dead ends.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

AzathothXy wrote:Apparently the Gene Splicers kicked the the GeneTech out, because they were creating beings with multiple buttocks. the GeneTech see single buttocked beings as evolutionary dead ends.

Makes as much sense as anything else.
Ed
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Splicers weren't sociable enough. Coffin wanted to introduce a version of them who interacted more with other species, so he made the Techs/Threshers.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”