Turn the Megaverse into a Multiverse with one simple thing..

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

malthos
D-Bee
Comment: "Kill one your a murderer, kill many your a conqueror, kill them all your a god.

Turn the Megaverse into a Multiverse with one simple thing..

Unread post by malthos »

Thought i would share this with everyone, I am a GM and have been a Rifts GM since 1997. I decided to make a god campaign in Phase world and other megaverse books. Originally it was meant to be a 3 cosmigo's group that many other's got excited to join. Ended up being mostly godlings, prometheans, cosmo knights and dragons. So i had to ramp up the difficulty level by a bit, while also coming up with ways to make the game new and exciting. So i decided to create a simple rotating portal in space that when entering your party travels to alternate galaxies and/or other movies and tv shows. (appropriate names were changed to protect trademark ...but just barely) so a tie fighter became an oddly shaped H fighter, and so on and so forth. They never knew where they would visit next or when it would shift. So they had to use multiple skills and their geek knowledge to figure out where they were, and then when they figured it out, how to "not" metagame that knowledge. My group had a blast over the course of 6 months they visited close to 10 different galaxies, faced things that had the potential to ravage Rifts Earth. And when they started to get bored with the travel aspect, i fishooked the idea that the whole reason the portal was shifting and placed there in the first place, is due to temperal raiders stealing these galaxies technology/biological uniqueness, and converting it to their own use. So the Grand finale was against all of the different galaxies combined into 1 ship. Transporter technology, living armor that repairs, ground soldiers that were a hybrid of the bugs from star ship troopers, with egg sacs on their back with face huggers from alien popping out. Add to that star fighters that when destroyed turned to liquid metal and reformed ala Terminator. It was an epic battle and i'm sure they will be telling stories about it for years to come.

Just throwing this out there for other GM's to use as an idea to widen the scope of their games. If you have always wanted your players to experience other Galaxies from the movies or stories...but its not part of Rifts ...this is how.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Turn the Megaverse into a Multiverse with one simple thi

Unread post by say652 »

Ran Big Trouble in Little Mystic China recently.

The group brought down Lightning and Wind in the second meeting.

Any possible thing cab be statted close enough for Rifts.

I draw inspiration from everywhere not just the written books.

Bro fist for doing the same thing.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

That is awesome.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Nice! Sounds like an awesome campaign.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I've used:
Guyver
TRON
Screamers
Terminator
Team Knight Rider
Street Hawk
Airwolf
Heavy Metal
Hardware and most of the 80s and 90s B movies.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
malthos
D-Bee
Comment: "Kill one your a murderer, kill many your a conqueror, kill them all your a god.

Unread post by malthos »

First place they visited was Star Wars...but they didnt even know it till after they had returned, I was very good at disguising the tradmarked words that would automatically give them the "Oh ok thats where we are" kind of thing the tie fighter was an odd H shaped fighter, the ATST was an outdated two legged mech, the ships were large size and what not. They were in the "if he doesn't mention it its not important phase"...this campaign cured them of that. They also visited Babylon 5 and faced a shadow vessel, an alternate earth terminator controlled, star ship troopers planet with bugs, star trek, a derelict outpost with wierd alien resin along the hallways and these funky looking plant seed pods...go close take a look ..i dare you. As a couple of godlings joined the team, i thought a visit to Elisium was in order...gotta love a guy that decides ok this super powerful shield that has been placed on our ship punching it electrocutes us..maybe ill phase under the ship and try popping up under it....and hit the shield ...while in solid ground. Plus 3 totally made up galaxies. The 3 made up ones were to test the cosmo knights as one player was starting to get into the attack first ask questions later mode..so i sent a monster to drain the energy of their main ship...but it was a slow drain..and it turned out to be a baby alien needing sustenance.... also from star trek. Lots of fun seeing the reaction on their faces when they realized they had killed a baby..."but it was attacking us" according to the information you had that is correct, that is the only reason you didn't fall ....barely. Another one was a huge couple of ships (think about the size of the state of Washington) that they didn't see all they saw was probes that were moving to a set location in a set pattern "oh no its a weapon blow it up" ..umm actually that was a communication attempt..ya you just started a war, roll for initiative. I think i have finally cured them of the shoot first ask questions later phase, but i still throw in moral dilemmas that are easily solved if they just ask questions first, or do proper skill rolls. I think one of my favorite scenes was of a crazy in a glitterboy that he had tricked out with a metal flake paint job, and a big pot leaf decal on its chest. Jumping into a huge ship to shoot it from the inside, seeing a mass of aliens(from alien) charging towards him. Instead of drilling in, he turned his back to the glass window behind him...and fired killing hundreds of aliens and ejecting himself out into space at the same time...i only allowed it cause well ..hes crazy.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lol that's like my don't judge a book campaign the main npcs are twin nightspawns the good ones morphus is demonic looking because of her torturous past and how she saw herself and her evil twin appears as an angel because of her arrogance and privileged upbringing. The good one never reveals she has an evil twin or that they are nightspawn hoping the subject never comes up. Unfortunately the evil twin is stalking her. The players get confused because when the good has to go off and do something they'll ocasionally see the bad in the distance doing something very wrong, by this point they know the good well enough to know she wouldn't do that but their eyes tell them otherwise. Eventually the two get into a scuffle and change in combat for the first time in front of the characters. Which do they try to help, the demon or the angel?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
malthos
D-Bee

Unread post by malthos »

Ya i am currently running the same people with new characters on phase world. Same premise a god campaign but i haven't told them exactly when they are playing prior, during, or after the last campaign. And i let drop the word "bug hunt" for a mission on Phase world where a certain ship with a couple face huggers had docked for a time(in last campaign) is placed. The trick is its not aliens, but demons from another source. It actually from Raymond E. Feist books, as the demons, they get bigger and stronger and more powerful, the more flesh and spirit they consume... but as of right now they think its an infestation of aliens from the movie aliens. Cant wait for the "..wait what" moment. lol
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Most of my rifts chars are ether from another setting or their class isn't a ""Rifts"" class. I do get all :roll: when 'Rifts GMs' don't get that because Rifts have "!!!!Rifts!!!!" that means anything from the other PB settings (other then RT2) can and do make their way to rifts earth.

Besides, PB uses the word Megaverse to mean Multiverse, but because of 'legal reasons' they can only 'legally' have it mean it is limited to their products.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Guilty of the dimension hop characters as well.
Though using High Seas rules you can always dual class to a Rifts Occ.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Most of my rifts chars are ether from another setting or their class isn't a ""Rifts"" class. I do get all :roll: when 'Rifts GMs' don't get that because Rifts have "!!!!Rifts!!!!" that means anything from the other PB settings (other then RT2) can and do make their way to rifts earth.

Besides, PB uses the word Megaverse to mean Multiverse, but because of 'legal reasons' they can only 'legally' have it mean it is limited to their products.

Funny I get that way mostly when Rifts GM's forget they aren't just rips in space but in time too.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Most of my rifts chars are ether from another setting or their class isn't a ""Rifts"" class. I do get all :roll: when 'Rifts GMs' don't get that because Rifts have "!!!!Rifts!!!!" that means anything from the other PB settings (other then RT2) can and do make their way to rifts earth.

Funny I get that way mostly when Rifts GM's forget they aren't just rips in space but in time too.

Going to necro this, primarily as SB has been doing these kind of games for years, they're called BROB - Bored. Random.Omnipotent.Being throws a load of different franchises together for a common goal. Quite often they can be self-inserts too.

It isn't just limited to Rifts characters.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”