what is Best Special Forces O.C.C.s for the Three Galaxy???

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

what is Best Special Forces O.C.C.s for the Three Galaxy???

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

Need a O.C.C for a game of special operations against the Golgan as they begin their Kultural Revolution.

Characters belong to a Minor power in the Anvil Galaxy on the edge of Golgan Space. This small power (13 worlds in all) sits inside a nebula and was able to hold off the Golgans attacks because their was only a couple of safe ways in. The minor power (known as the Commonwealth Consortium a player created empire) got lucky and thanks to their heavily armed space stations guarding the entrance and the sacrifice of nearly half their fleet held off the attack and now wants to take the offense against the Golgans.

The plan is the launch insurgency operations on Several of the less loyal worlds. Start several rebellions and help liberate worlds under the Golgan thumb and in general make life complicated enough so that the Commonwealth can rebuild its fleet. The world the characters are going to is a mixed colony world primary used for agriculture (high end crop foods) and mining (gems). It is a long term campaign where in game time I figure it will take 6 months to 2 years of operations in the same general area. I got the general aspects planned out including the regions the characters will operate and the enemy forces (both Golgan and others) but I have to admit I'm not sure what O.C.C.s to allow for such a game.

I want to limit the selection to a 4 or 5 classes, any suggestions???
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: what is Best Special Forces O.C.C.s for the Three Galaxy

Unread post by filo_clarke »

I don't know if you are open to O.C.C.s from settings other than the Rifts books, but I have found that the Tactical Corps O.C.C. in the Robotech Masters Saga is really versatile for crafting a wide variety of Special Forces soldiers for different mission parameters. Since it is already a "high-tech" setting, converting it to be a Golgan soldier, rather than a Robotech soldier should be simple enough.

Otherwise, I also like the Paratrooper in Rifts: Mercenary Adventures.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Rifts Mercenaries.
Super Spy.
Special forces.

Warlords of Russia.
Reaver Assassin.
Soldati.
Smoke Soldier.
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

True the Tactical corps is a nice call and I forgot about the Paratrooper O.C.C. now that would work out great now just a couple others and I'm set. Will have to reread the smoke solders as well.
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The Soldati have a wider skill selection basically well trained grunts, the Smoke soldiers are masters of disguise, the best killers are definitely the Reavers(my favorite non super occ)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

take a look at the Free Worlds Council OCC's from, IIRC, the Anvil Galaxy book. while the FWC is fighting the TransGalactic Empire, their OCC's should work well for a similar organizations in Golgan space.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The new Robotech Marine book has several good Marine Occs that would wor as versatile SF operators with minimum modifications. The Tirolians have a militia class that I could see as representing trained locals, plus there are several "alien" classes that could represent specific planetary cultures.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

You're looking for something like a real life Green Beret, a SF detachment that trains locals to overthrow oppression?

If you're starting from low level, go merc SF or paratrooper. If they have some levels, start with any TC from Robotech, then into spy, bounty hunter for contacts or other espionage based classes. Just let them spend extra skills to keep H2H Commando.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Alrik Vas wrote:You're looking for something like a real life Green Beret, a SF detachment that trains locals to overthrow oppression?

If you're starting from low level, go merc SF or paratrooper. If they have some levels, start with any TC from Robotech, then into spy, bounty hunter for contacts or other espionage based classes. Just let them spend extra skills to keep H2H Commando.

I agree.

Or just give them an autododge.
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Alrik Vas wrote:You're looking for something like a real life Green Beret, a SF detachment that trains locals to overthrow oppression?

Yes That is the plan, I got Tom Clancy's non-Fiction books he did about the Special Forces (Special Forces: A Guided tour of the Special Forces and Shadow Warriors - Inside the Special forces. So while it is a Sci Fi Setting it is based on the real stuff as much as possible.

And yes their starting at first level.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

I would encourage them to pick up skills that are useful in that line of work. Like survival based skills, maybe one of them should have some kind of political science, honestly. If you can learn the ins and outs of the motivations of the groups you are training, it's easier to figure out what they need and how you can use them for your country's goals as well.

Actions like that should be mutually beneficial. Another thing is to not bull@#% anyone, this is one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet, and I'm pretty sure that extends off the planet as well. You're basically relying on the fact that your homeland is bigger and badder to keep your "allies" from selling you out if things don't go well enough. Really, manipulation is key. Someone should have a high MA. Pretty sure Paratroops and SF mercs all get the intelligence skill, so at least there's that.

Good luck, and good hunting.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Reaver Assassin, Soldati Smoke Soldier, Heavy Borgs.
Very Diplomatic.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I could see a job like Paratrooper transferring over to 3G. The Russian classes...probably not. They're too setting specific.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Most likely to wander off.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The other occ choices are strange as they are normally 100% loyal troops.
Alrik Vas
Knight

If you signed up for the CAS, and you went for SF, paratrooper is an OCC the military would train you in, that's all we're saying. Not claiming a bunch of rifts mercs were recruited.

And the Russian troops fear their superiors because only other Russians can scare the crap out of Russians (it is known, comrade). Smoke soldiers and reavers would just found a new proletariat and try to take over everything. :P

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Alrik Vas wrote:If you signed up for the CAS, and you went for SF, paratrooper is an OCC the military would train you in, that's all we're saying. Not claiming a bunch of rifts mercs were recruited.

And the Russian troops fear their superiors because only other Russians can scare the crap out of Russians (it is known, comrade). Smoke soldiers and reavers would just found a new proletariat and try to take over everything. :P

The Smoke Soldier definitely, a Planet stranded Reaver, no.
Reavers only kill.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i still maintain that the official OCC's in the phase world books are good enough.

for the resistance organizations themselves, just use the Free Worlds Council OCC's
FWC ground trooper (and it's MOS's), FWC Insurrectionist, FWC feild medic, FWC Air/space Corps
these are on pages 76 to 80 of Dimension book 6 : Three Galaxies.

for "advisor" types sent to the rebellions by major powers, use the OCC's of the respective powers..
CAF Trooper (Pg56 of DB2:phase world) for example, though Wolfen Quatoria's, Seljuk, Catyr, and Noro could be sent also by the CCW. or they might hire some Space Pirates (pg40), Runners (pg41), and/or Galactic tracers (aka bountyhunters, pg39) for deniability. heck, one could imagine the oni sending some of their Ninja types too.

the TGE is much the same.. they'd probably send some Kreeghor or Imperial legionaries, along with Imperial Security.

the UWW would probably send Space Warlocks and Warlock Marines, along with various mage types. or hire the same sorts of independents.

and so on.

make use of the existing OCC's from the setting first, since there is often what you need already there. just use your research into the special forces to select the types of skills such a job requires to give the OCC's/RCC's.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alrik Vas
Knight

It could work, sure, but I'm pretty sure, but paratrooper is coooool. (See rule #1)

Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

glitterboy2098 wrote:i still maintain that the official OCC's in the phase world books are good enough.

for the resistance organizations themselves, just use the Free Worlds Council OCC's
FWC ground trooper (and it's MOS's), FWC Insurrectionist, FWC feild medic, FWC Air/space Corps

for "advisor" types sent to the rebellions by major powers, use the OCC's of the respective powers..
CAF Trooper (Pg56 of DB2:phase world) for example, though Wolfen Quatoria's, Seljuk, Catyr, and Noro could be sent also by the CCW. or they might hire some Space Pirates (pg40), Runners (pg41), and/or Galactic tracers (aka bountyhunters, pg39) for deniability. heck, one could imagine the oni sending some of their Ninja types too.

the TGE is much the same.. they'd probably send some Kreeghor or Imperial legionaries, along with Imperial Security.

the UWW would probably send Space Warlocks and Warlock Marines, along with various mage types. or hire the same sorts of independents.

and so on.

make use of the existing OCC's from the setting first, since there is often what you need already there. just use your research into the special forces to select the types of skills such a job requires to give the OCC's/RCC's.

The thing is that the characters are members of a small independent governments military not attached to any of the major powers. Out of the lot the FWC stuff is not bad but I was thinking more along the lines of a Delta Force set up. Since the long term goal is the run an Insurgency war and help liberate a planet from the Golgan. Versatility is Key. So far the Paratrooper O.C.C. is in, not sure if I will any augmented O.C.C.s but still looking into that. Equipment is low end for the most part but they will have limited access some higher level stuff (their government builds at the tech level of Rifts Australia/Wellington Industries for the most part but dose have a few higher level things and dose limited business with Hartigal Industries). I really want tp have the characters rely on their skills and abilities verses any super equipment.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Jefram_denkar wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:i still maintain that the official OCC's in the phase world books are good enough.

and so on.

The thing is that the characters are members of a small independent governments military not attached to any of the major powers. Out of the lot the FWC stuff is not bad but I was thinking more along the lines of a Delta Force set up. Since the long term goal is the run an Insurgency war and help liberate a planet from the Golgan. Versatility is Key. So far the Paratrooper O.C.C. is in, not sure if I will any augmented O.C.C.s but still looking into that. Equipment is low end for the most part but they will have limited access some higher level stuff (their government builds at the tech level of Rifts Australia/Wellington Industries for the most part but dose have a few higher level things and dose limited business with Hartigal Industries). I really want tp have the characters rely on their skills and abilities verses any super equipment.

I think the FWC OCCs (especially the Insurrectionist) are written to be like "Green Beret" style, "Foreign Internal Defense" style forces, training others in, and engaging in, guerrilla warfare.

The specialization written in to the OCC is also very Special Forces like. Different people for different jobs.

Delta Force has many members who are/were trained as Special Forces, and therefore can engage in FID (and Unconventional Warfare in general), but Delta Force is itself, like Seal Team 6, a Counter-Terrorism force, that specializes in short-term strikes (hostage rescue, assassination, etc.), and probably bad-ass action-spy stuff (like James Bond).

For that, I'd go for the Mercenaries book Special Forces, 'cause of the skill selection opportunities (also check out the CS SF and Naval versions).

Or just look at them all and write your own using them all as a sort of guide for balance.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

For frontline special forces, Reaver Assassin is the best.

I am also fond of the Special Forces occ in Rifts Mercenaries.
Your pilots and mechanics can use this occ as well.

For medics. Warlord Cyber Doc.
Since I am big Bionic fan, the Cyber Docs should also get the Commissioned Officer bonuses from Coalition War Campaign.

And finally the mass troops.
Light Machine or Heavy Machine full conversion cyborg occs.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

Keep in mind that these type of Spec Ops are not for Good alignments. The most effective things you can do are going to have collateral damage.
RockJock
Knight

I go back to the Robotech Marine book. You have the Storm Team special forces, but you also have various marine OCCs that can have SF training. I take it as the difference between serving in the US Rangers, versus having a Ranger tab from school. Only real switch out would be Cyclone/Destroid skills to 3G PA skills. You also have a flexible medic, and officier type, plus several "space tech" level MOS options for everything from mechanics to intel specialists.
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

1st edition Army of Southern Cross Global Military Police or Tactical Corps.
The CAF also has some good OCCs.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

You could always modify some of the OCC's out of CWC: Special Forces, EOD Specialist, Ranger, Flyboy, Commando and the like. Just modify the needed pilot skills from CS stuff to whatever it is your power bloc uses then viola.
RockJock
Knight

you might want to take a look at the new Heroes of Humanity book. It has sort of add on skill sets for military OCCs. Might be a good fit for your high end SF operators.
Mouse
D-Bee

Unread post by Mouse »

I prefer to use the new NGR OCCs from Rifter #55. Just replace Language and Literacy skills as appropriate, then add Zero Gravity Combat & Movement along with Space Survival and open up the Space Skills.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”